Options

Why should the death of Peaches Geldof dominate UK news bulletins?

Comments

• Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    all_night wrote: »
    Young, TV personality, sudden death, mother died when she was young, famous father. It's going to have a lot of rolling news coverage. News Channels can do this, it is fine. The main evening news bulletins on the main channels is were you will find a comprehensive news round up of the day.

Yet there's not alot to say other than who she is, that she died, they don't know how, and a bit of reaction. In other words something that could be wrapped up in 3mins max.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    Hardly "well known" and absolutely not for anything she ever did - only by association.

Neither part of that is true.
    I can guarantee there are far more "worthy" candidates for this kind of coverage who died today who have been completely ignored.

Name three.
    Why? Because too many people are interested in z-listers lifestyles rather than living their own lives.

Interest in this goes well beyond those who "are interested in z-listers lifestyles rather than living their own lives".
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peaches is the new Jade Goody.

The funeral will be a showbiz event and there'll be live coverage on Sky.

People who didn't know her will line the route to the church and we'll see a competitive outpouring of grief.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    Young, TV personality, sudden death, mother died when she was young, famous father. It's going to have a lot of rolling news coverage. News Channels can do this, it is fine. The main evening news bulletins on the main channels is were you will find a comprehensive news round up of the day.

Yes, just so. There will be rolling coverage because people are still just hearing of it and will want to know what's known.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Yet there's not alot to say other than who she is, that she died, they don't know how, and a bit of reaction. In other words something that could be wrapped up in 3mins max.

That's not how news channels work. It's about getting reaction, hearing from people who knew her, a look back at her life, reflection.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meercam wrote: »
    People who didn't know her will line the route to the church and we'll see a competitive outpouring of grief.

I feel down and sad at the news, but to do this over someone that a person doesn't know is a bit pathetic.
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel down and sad at the news, but to do this over someone that a person doesn't know is a bit pathetic.

It's the school holidays as well meaning chavvy mothers will be dragging their offspring to the event.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Any young death is sad, but it seemed odd to hear her described as a "broadcaster and writer". Would she have been on TV and/or written for a newspaper at a young age had she not been the son of a famous celebrity?

The answer is no. Nepotism works wonders.
    But she wasn't the SON of celeb, was she? She was the DAUGHTER of one. You just called Peaches a bloke!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly a tragic event for the family but I don't see why it is worthy of such coverage.

Similarly, I don't understand the wall-to-wall coverage of the Oscar Pistorius trial.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Sad news. Another reason for Bob to not like Mondays.

That made me giggle.:blush:
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    Veri wrote: »
    Yes, just so. There will be rolling coverage because people are still just hearing of it and will want to know what's known.

Don't tell me, tell the others on here!
  • Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when they start reading out celebrity tweets and Facebook messages.. just seems lazy and tacky
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Clearly a tragic event for the family but I don't see why it is worthy of such coverage.

Similarly, I don't understand the wall-to-wall coverage of the Oscar Pistorius trial.

In the grand scheme of things they are not important world events.

But they are what the public are interested in so will get a lot of coverage. I would say the same about the recent MH370 plane crash which has had so much coverage because of its mysterious nature.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm not denying the story isn't newsworthy but I found the coverage a bit boring. There isn't really much to report on until they find out what caused her death. I watched the NBC Nightly News on CNBC and they didn't mention it at all. It's nights like this I'm grateful for foreign news channels.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »

And what other story at the time deserved more screen time? Everything else going on had happened much earlier in the day and had been covered to death all day. Would the time really have been better served showing the same news report about Pistorious or Ukraine or MH370 that had been shown atleast 10 times already that day? No, the point of 24hour news is to be able to report news stories as they break so something that was still unfolding and which potentially had new information to come out should take precedent. If you want a round up that's what the news bulletins on non-news channels are for
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not denying the story isn't newsworthy but I found the coverage a bit boring. There isn't really much to report on until they find out what caused her death. I watched the NBC Nightly News on CNBC and they didn't mention it at all. It's nights like this I'm grateful for foreign news channels.

That's because Peaches i'm guessing isn't that relevant to the US audience. If it has been one of the Kardasians it would have been full of it
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pathetic thread.

If people are not interested in this, then get a life and do something else to pass the time. It's not as if we don't have hundreds of TV channels and millions of news websites that can be viewed instead, if this isn't to peoples tastes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RayRidley wrote: »
    So here we are, 20 minutes into the 7 p.m. bulletin on both BBC News Channel and Sky News, and both are reporting continuously on the death of someone who could be called a minor celebrity at best. No-one really knows how she died, so it's a gruesome mix of speculation and reading out of tweets from other minor celebrities saying how sad they are.

Meanwhile, on Al Jazeera, not a mention, as they're too busy reporting on real stories, from Crimea, Ukraine, India and Syria...we really do get the news coverage we deserve.

Errrr, it was only a 3-4 minute brief report at Ten O'clock on the Beeb and briefly heard from a correspondent.

There are people who are interested - it a shocking and sad event - same as when Paula Yates died - that alone would mean that it would be reported on in terms of the potential parallels.

Nothing to do with her being a "minor celebrity at best" - everyone knows who she is anyway.

There is significant public interest with these types of stories, same as with the Pistorious trial - that is wh it is decided that they get reported in terms of time on the news and are decided to be newsworthy.

If you don't like it, don't watch it - or switch over.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    No it isn't, it is a family matter - not a national, regional or even local news story.
    In your opinion and the reason why someone said it was a British story was in answer to why Al Jazeera didn't give much coverage.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    So here we are, 20 minutes into the 7 p.m. bulletin on both BBC News Channel and Sky News, and both are reporting continuously on the death of someone who could be called a minor celebrity at best. No-one really knows how she died, so it's a gruesome mix of speculation and reading out of tweets from other minor celebrities saying how sad they are.

Meanwhile, on Al Jazeera, not a mention, as they're too busy reporting on real stories, from Crimea, Ukraine, India and Syria...we really do get the news coverage we deserve.

Nothing stopping you from watching the news on that channel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    Why shouldn't it? :confused:

It makes more sense than the amount of overage the BBC is giving the Oscar Pistorius trial.

Really !!??
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I did have to grimace when Sky News broadcast the thoughts of Aled Jones (via his Twitter) on the passing of Peaches Geldof.
  • Options
    RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't usually comment on tragic events so I may be well out of my depth so please go easy if the following doesn't sit quite right but one thing I noticed was in the timeline of events the very eloquent tribute/response from Sir Bob was released very, very soon after 6.30pm: so 1.30pm Police called/informed. 6.30pm breaking story.

Does anyone think that the eloquent tribute/response from Sir Bob Geldof came very, very soon after the breaking of the story (1.30pm police called, 6.30pm breaking story, family statement alongside)? Not sure but could anyone read into that, that perhaps there had been some concern leading up to the Monday afternoon from family members, as the very personal (family) statement was constructed with such seeming rapidity yet deep meaning (despite it being classed as a sudden event)?

I know that timeline gives just over 5 hours for a statement to be provided by family from reported time of serious incident until breaking news story but does that seem a fast turnover if nothing had indicated issues preceding the 1.30pm concerns?
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    RobSmithS wrote: »
    I don't usually comment on tragic events so I may be well out of my depth so please go easy if the following doesn't sit quite right but one thing I noticed was in the timeline of events the very eloquent tribute/response from Sir Bob was released very, very soon after 6.30pm: so 1.30pm Police called/informed. 6.30pm breaking story.

Does anyone think that the eloquent tribute/response from Sir Bob Geldof came very, very soon after the breaking of the story (1.30pm police called, 6.30pm breaking story, family statement alongside)? Not sure but could anyone read into that, that perhaps there had been some concern leading up to the Monday afternoon from family members, as the very personal (family) statement was constructed with such seeming rapidity yet deep meaning (despite it being classed as a sudden event)?

I know that timeline gives just over 5 hours for a statement to be provided by family from reported time of serious incident until breaking news story but does that seem a fast turnover if nothing had indicated issues preceding the 1.30pm concerns?

Assuming timeline is correct, Bob could have been told by 2pm which seems like more than enough time to compile a statement. He will be well-versed in media protocol, not least after Paula's death, and understand the quicker a statement is realised the more likely it is that the gutter press will swoop on him, looking for "reaction". I am certain his agent/PR people would have helped write it, which perhaps points towards it being more profound than it would have been had Bob written it himself.
  • Options
    LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because sadly the powers that be ie BBC, BskyB, ITN all believe that we are obsessed with so called celebrity culture. Even the once staid Radio4 is not immune to this disastrous kind of nonsense. If it's not celebrity or London/SE centric it hardly deserves a mention an occasional sensationalised international story will be allowed coverage too, but good honest staright forward news not speculation is very rare.