Options

Fifteen to One starts again next Saturday

Comments

• Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it. is. so. slow. so. very. very. VERY. slow.

who thought an hour was a good idea? 45 mins was much better, no need for waffle 'facts' or other nonsense an hour is too long, like that open the box with mr tidy beard that should be 30 mins yet everything gets dragged out.

I've watched 2 so far, up to 5:15 when pointless is on, which, by comparison races along...

did I say this is slow?
  • Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    Can't even get that right with the word "released". West End Girls - first released 1984, number 1 11th and 18th January 1986.

they did and it was 1985 - hope you are not using wikipedia to answer that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy_d77 wrote: »

Discogs.com actually. Released April 1984 on Epic label. Produced by Bobby Orlando. Redone later in 1985 on Parlophone. So technically first released in 1984, remade in 1985 and no 1 in 1986.
  • Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it. is. so. slow. so. very. very. VERY. slow.

who thought an hour was a good idea? 45 mins was much better, no need for waffle 'facts' or other nonsense an hour is too long, like that open the box with mr tidy beard that should be 30 mins yet everything gets dragged out.

I've watched 2 so far, up to 5:15 when pointless is on, which, by comparison races along...

did I say this is slow?

To paraphrase Blackadder,it's slow. It's slow. It's slower that slow Joe McSlow,the winner of this year's Mr Slow competition.
  • Options
    Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Think sandi will be good
  • Options
    RPMRPM Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slow and dull are my thoughts on this show so far. 1 hour is far too long. Sandi seems wooden and stern.

Hopefully it will improve but lengthening shows kills them for me (see also D.O.N.D)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree with the previous posts about the pace of the show, too slow. Despite that, Im enjoying it, but if it were 15 minutes shorter, I would enjoy it more. Like Sandi as the host, she has a warmth about her, and seems like a nice lady.
  • Options
    LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member

Well it was a mistake. It was released in 1985, and took quite a few weeks to make it up the chart. However, the first time it hit the top was the 11th of Jan in 1986.

http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1986-01-11/

In fairness, lots of web-sites have it down as a 1985 #1. I suspect the poor sod who had to check these facts had about a thousand to work on, and a very limited amount of time to do them in, so it's perhaps understandable they didn't triple-check. Still bad though.

Mind you, the Beat the Eggheads people only had 30-50 questions to do for the main show, and they managed to mess up some of the questions too. Where's David Bodycombe when you need him...
  • Options
    CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with the previous posts about the pace of the show, too slow. Despite that, Im enjoying it, but if it were 15 minutes shorter, I would enjoy it more. Like Sandi as the host, she has a warmth about her, and seems like a nice lady.

Of the changes to the show from its original format lengthening it to fit an hour slot it is the most detrimental. Part of the essence of the original series was that it was a fast paced quiz which took no prisoners - in the trailers for the very first series William G, Stewart described it as a "general knowledge assault course". Maybe it couldn't be done to fit a half-hour slot these days (although C4 managed it with the two series they tried out last year - Common Denominator and that one with Rory Bremner) but it could be trimmed down to fit a 45 minute slot, with the breaks between each round, with no loss of content but an increase in pace.

Sandi Toksvig wouldn't have been my first choice as presenter but I've no problem with her presentation. I do, however, I get the feeling that she is forcing herself to go down a gear in her delivery to stretch out the programme to fill the hour. The set doesn't bother me either as I seem to remember to original series went through several sets some of which were rather garish. I'm not too keen on the idea of players being about to appear on up to three shows but I can live with it.

One thing that has been introduced that really irks me is the musical tinkle that is underneath all the questions. It gets more intrusive in the final round after the first finalist has been eliminated when the tinkle gives way to something more like a drum beat. Hardcore quizzes like 15 to One don't need such devices to fake up the tension,
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the contestants has a very impressive moustache!
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Lenitive wrote: »
    One of the contestants has a very impressive moustache!

and he was a bit...odd
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The woman in the final got her tactics wrong in that final. Can't believe she took question after question, she was bound to trip up on at least 2 of them, which she did.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Tuesday's show only got 450,000 viewers, a drop of around 200,000 in the space of 24 hours!
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched the show since Saturday. Can't be bothered with any quizzes at the moment, though. So it isn't really improving as the series goes on?
  • Options
    LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    It was quite fun today. Several 'grudge' matches, and moments where the nominator hit a wobbly fellow contestant with two consecutive nominations. A good mix of tactics going on there. And that one chap was very entertaining. Weird. But entertaining...

But yes, that woman was very silly to take on the questions herself. You've got to be a Daphne in order to get away with that tactic, otherwise you just get an early bath. And it's not even as though you need to get that high a score this time round. 20 shows only, and 15 get through to the final. Win with 80+ and you'll be more than fine.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Tuesday's show only got 450,000 viewers, a drop of around 200,000 in the space of 24 hours!

I know I said it'd drop to less than 500k by the end of the week, didn't think it'd be so soon. Now I can see it dropping to less than 250k by the end of the run.
  • Options
    johnanjohnan Posts: 3,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to watch it as I always enjoyed the original, but I am afraid this version is just hopeless.
    Some of the questions are ridiculously obscure, too much time is wasted in waffle and Ms T appears to really quite bored with it all, as I became.
    A waste of time all round.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've messed around with a format that worked well for a decade and a half.

There is NO NEED for the waffle in between questions. There is NO NEED for the waffle in between rounds. There is NO NEED for the background music. Some of the questions have been ridiculous and would have had no place in the original series.

The pace of TV has speeded up over the years. Why have they slowed this quiz down? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Sandi isn't as bright as she thinks she is, and wouldn't have been my choice as presenter. A current or former respected newsreader would've been fine.

Back to basics please, Channel 4.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    I know I said it'd drop to less than 500k by the end of the week, didn't think it'd be so soon. Now I can see it dropping to less than 250k by the end of the run.

The timeslot can't be doing it any favours either, clashing with both The Chase and Pointless.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    They've messed around with a format that worked well for a decade and a half.

There is NO NEED for the waffle in between questions. There is NO NEED for the waffle in between rounds. There is NO NEED for the background music. Some of the questions have been ridiculous and would have had no place in the original series.

The pace of TV has speeded up over the years. Why have they slowed this quiz down? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Sandi isn't as bright as she thinks she is, and wouldn't have been my choice as presenter. A current or former respected newsreader would've been fine.

Back to basics please, Channel 4.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Poor re-make of what wasw a fast paced quiz. Sandi Toksvig was the wrong choice to hist this, she comes across as wooden and boring.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    Challenge TV have just announced they're going to start showing Series 1 from the old days shortly.
  • Options
    Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the questions are ludicrous. Yesterday there was "which American airline began in 1924 as Bloggs & Brown (or whatever it was) crop sprayers". Now, I'm an aviation entusiast and I didn't have a clue. This is hardly general knowledge, the best you could do is take a random guess at an American airline, however the contestant decided to say "Boeing" which rather obviously is not an airline (although United Airlines started out as Boeing Air Transport). I have no problem with the slowness of the show as I record it and watch it on the first fast forward setting of my Panasonic hard drive recorder, which speeds everything up while still making the dialogue intelligible. Eliminating the adverts, I can get through a show in 30 minutes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the questions are ludicrous. Yesterday there was "which American airline began in 1924 as Bloggs & Brown (or whatever it was) crop sprayers". Now, I'm an aviation entusiast and I didn't have a clue. This is hardly general knowledge, the best you could do is take a random guess at an American airline, however the contestant decided to say "Boeing" which rather obviously is not an airline (although United Airlines started out as Boeing Air Transport). I have no problem with the slowness of the show as I record it and watch it on the first fast forward setting of my Panasonic hard drive recorder, which speeds everything up while still making the dialogue intelligible. Eliminating the adverts, I can get through a show in 30 minutes.

Huff Daland Dusters - Delta. Obscure in the extreme, but there again how many major long lived american airlines are there? Delta, United, Alaska, AA, US Airways.
  • Options
    doormousedoormouse Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish William G Stewart would return. Sorry Sandi but I don't like your presenting.