injured wild bird

chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
Forum Member
Urgent help!! who can help with a wild bird, I have just found a woodpecker that has been attacked and dont know who to ring, its startled and bleeding but its such a beautiful bird, can bear to see it in pain

im in west yorkshire

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Here's what you need to do. Read this page from the RSPB: https://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/health/injuredbirds.aspx and this page from Help Wildlife: http://www.helpwildlife.co.uk/birds.php and then either take the woodpecker to your nearest vet or phone the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    yeah rspb and rspca dont want to know>:(

i've left a message with a local rescue centre.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Contact Springwatch and tell them about the RSPCA's lack of interest. They might be interested.
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Contact Springwatch and tell them about the RSPCA's lack of interest. They might be interested.

They even had the cheek to ask for a donation at the end of the call.
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unbelievable that the RSPB and RSPCA don't want to know.
    myscimitar posted the link to Selby rescue centre, which offers advice on how to care for an injured bird/animal until you can get it to a rescue centre.
    Have you got one near you, where you can take the bird to? I appreciate that could be difficult though.
    BTW, well done for showing care and attention to this injured bird. :)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I've rescued quite a few birds over the years.

As a rule, I find that all they really want is somewhere dark and safe to recover so I bung 'em in a shoebox (with some air holes in it and some breadcrumbs and a little bowl of water) and leave them in the spare room for a couple of days to recover.

Thing is, harsh as it might sound, if the bird is injured then no vet' is likely to bother doing surgery on a bird (unless it's something fairly simple, like a broken wing) so the best you can hope for is that you'll either be giving it somewhere peaceful to die or somewhere peaceful to recover.

Incidentally, I rescued a homing pigeon this time last year.
    It had a broken wing. I contacted the owner and he told me he wasn't bothered about getting it back or not.
    In the end I had to pay a vet' to fix the wing, kept the pigeon for a couple of weeks and then let it go when it started flying around the house.
    Funny thing was, last weekend I was pottering about in the house and I could hear a loud cooing noise coming from outside.
    Went into the kitchen and there was a pigeon walking back and forth, along the window-ledge outside, which I've never seen any bird do before in 15 years of living here.
    No idea if it was the same bird but pigeons are supposed to be good at finding their way around so it's nice to think that it might have been. :D
    Forum Member
    Thank you for everyones help, a local rescue centre has just collected the bird.

I know who will be getting a donation on pay day
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for everyones help, a local rescue centre has just collected the bird.

I know who will be getting a donation on pay day

Fantastic news! :)
    Let's hope it'll be ok.
    Forum Member
    charlie1 wrote: »
    Fantastic news! :)
    Let's hope it'll be ok.

yeah, they promised to let me know what happens
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you care to look at what these organisations are all about you will find that the RSPCA are a welfare charity and the RSPB are a Conservation charity. The mandates of both are poles apart.

In the first instance, sick and injured birds should be reported to the RSPCA.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh. Leave nature to take its course. It'll either recover and fly off or die. It's been going on for hundreds of thousands of years so there's not much you can do about it.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any Vet should help free.
    Don't think they charge for a wild animal.
    Never charged me before.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    Any Vet should help free.
    Don't think they charge for a wild animal.
    Never charged me before.

This is true. Vets are obliged to treat wild animals.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

surprised,

http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232721695816&mode=prd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done... And hope it get the treatment.
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Well done... And hope it get the treatment.

Thank you, it looks like he will be ok.
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »

Yes I was told to google local rescue centres or take him to a vets, which would probably mean it would have been put down, as my vet told me when I rang them.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope he will be ok and well done you for caring. :)
  • ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Meh. Leave nature to take its course. It'll either recover and fly off or die. It's been going on for hundreds of thousands of years so there's not much you can do about it.

well obviously there is, a rescue centre took it and hopefully it will be ok
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charlie1 wrote: »
    Unbelievable that the RSPB and RSPCA don't want to know.
    I brought up a baby jackdaw that had fallen down the chimney and was trapped above the blanking plate. Later I took it to a rescue place. They told me that they get RSPCA Officers sneaking birds in by the back door as their organisation usually kills any injured birds brought to them - unless it is a prized songbird say. :confused:
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    How about this for a lucky bird.....
    Last week my son-in-law caught a bird in a rat trap he'd set in the garden, it was trapped by the neck and next doors cat was standing over it, he chased the cat out of the garden and could not believe his eyes when he released the trap off the bird's neck it give a little tweet and flew off.:D
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »

Well there is and someone cared, helped and gave it a chance.

Meh indeed.

Well done, OP, and I hope it survived.