Options

Gadget Insurance help!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
Forum Member
ARRRRHHH!

I'm sitting here in tears so if someone can help I'd appreciate it.

I bought an IPAD 2 at comet in nov 2011 - lost the receipt but have proof of purchase via apple and my bank statement.

I took out gadget insurance in the December to cover it. Paid every month since, and it was dropped in february 2014, called the insurance and was told it wasn't covered due to them not having the serial number. I dug out my original application and proved they DID have the serial number.

Then was told to take it to my local apple retailer (18 miles away) to have it checked. I did and they just looked at the smashed screen and said we don't repair, we just replace - it'll be £177 + vat. I wasn't willing to fork it out without the claim being authorised so I sent the quote to the insurance.

3 weeks later they say they have received it. 4 weeks after that they say that they need proof of purchase, I resend my apple and bank reports, they say not to use the retailer I'd got the report from as they are not authorised. then they say oh yes they are -silly us.
then they say they don't have the serial number.... cue todays phone call.

45 mins back and forth on the phone and I'm no closer to a resolution:

They now want me to go back to the retailer and get the to write a technical report about whats wrong with it, which the retailer say they won't do as they don't repair - they just replace. Then they say they have no proof of purchase - so I send through the bits for a third time. THEN they say that as I took so long to respond to their queries its been closed (I'd responded instantly to all of their emails - and have sent proof).

I said I was not willing to go 18+ miles each way to get a report that I can't get, at my own cost! I offered to send it directly to them - but no, they can't do that.

Then they drop the bomb that if its accepted I have to pay the £177+vat out and wait to be refunded (6-8 weeks!). I don't have that sort of money, thats WHY I took out insurance in the first place. I asked if they could pay direct - nope.

I really don't know what to do now, I've put in a formal complaint but that's going to be up to 30 days - they are still saying I have to go back to jennings and get it looked at, which I really don't have the time to do (I work 40 miles in the opposite direction).

Any suggestions? or am I just screwed by insurance yet again>

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you've got 2 options, neither of which will be particularly fast.

After exhausting their internal complaints procedure you could threaten ( and then proceed with if necessary):

Either initiate a small claims court acition, or make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service http://financial-ombudsman.org.uk/
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you've found out the hard way that the so-called "gadget insurance" scam is just that, a scam.

apple will give you a report detailing damage and repair cost - i got one from them at one point when i disputed a fault.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never bother with gadget insurance. It's always expensive and getting them to pay out is like getting water from a stone.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    The standard with these things is to make you pay up front then refund you, I guess this is to stop people trying to pull a fast one. But it doesn't help those who genuinely can't afford it and are not trying to rip any one off
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Who was the insurance with? I'm guessing we are all going to think 'who?' when you tell us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    I think you've got 2 options, neither of which will be particularly fast.

After exhausting their internal complaints procedure you could threaten ( and then proceed with if necessary):

Either initiate a small claims court acition, or make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service http://financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

hmm... this is my thinking but not sure if its worth it? will I even stand a chance against their millions to pay laywers?
    chenks wrote: »
    you've found out the hard way that the so-called "gadget insurance" scam is just that, a scam.

apple will give you a report detailing damage and repair cost - i got one from them at one point when i disputed a fault.

hmm..i'm starting to discover that! I'd had protect your bubble for years and it was brilliant - you just sent it in and it was repaired or replaced (much like phone insurance) but they stopped doing it and moved them over to someone else so I changed :(

I've not got any genius bars near me - the nearest being leeds, which is a good 2 hours away (I'm rural yorkshire). The authorised reseller says they want £25 just to do diagnostics which seems a bit harsh!
    cris182 wrote: »
    The standard with these things is to make you pay up front then refund you, I guess this is to stop people trying to pull a fast one. But it doesn't help those who genuinely can't afford it and are not trying to rip any one off

:( its not clear in the t&cs either - it just says they will repair and replace (I notice their new customer t&cs state reimburse, but the older customers ones don't)
    Who was the insurance with? I'm guessing we are all going to think 'who?' when you tell us.

not sure I can say? don't want to get done for slagging them off - but a big company with a tag line that says 'hassle free' HA! nope.

Latest is that they have said if I get an invoice for repair they'll pay on that, so I can hold off paying the shop - but apple said they won't do that (plus they want the £25 before they even look at doing the diagnostics) does anyone know if the genius bar charge too? if not it might be worth a trip to leeds(although that'll cost me more that £25 - its the principle!)
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    hmm... this is my thinking but not sure if its worth it? will I even stand a chance against their millions to pay laywers?
    They're not going to send a QC to defend a County Court claim for £177, and both the County Court and the Financial Ombudsman work on facts. It will not cost you anything to complain to the FOS and not very much for a County Court claim. The hope is that just the threat of either of these will make them cough up.

Personally I'd write to the company now and tell them that if by the end of their complaints procedure in 30 days they haven't found in your favour and promptly paid up you'll refer them to the FOS with no further notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    They're not going to send a QC to defend a County Court claim for £177, and both the County Court and the Financial Ombudsman work on facts. It will not cost you anything to complain to the FOS and not very much for a County Court claim. The hope is that just the threat of either of these will make them cough up.

Personally I'd write to the company now and tell them that if by the end of their complaints procedure in 30 days they haven't found in your favour and promptly paid up you'll refer them to the FOS with no further notice.

thanks keefy-boy. I might just do that. can't see me getting anywhere with them directly - a group of idiots they are! I feel like I'm getting worked up about nothing but when I've paid all this time, i expect them to cover what they were paid for!
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you can name company.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you not claim on your household insurance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can you not claim on your household insurance?

There's an excess on that - which was why I wanted gadget insurance :(
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Just name them, what do you think will happen?
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    If you name them then other people who have had experience with them may be able to tell you how to go about getting them to conceded etc