Kitchen query - narrow pan drawers?

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you had to use wall units as base units because your kitchen was very narrow, is there a way of getting pan drawers in?

If one side of the kitchen was normal depth units to house a dishwasher and sink, the oven at one end of the kitchen and then very shallow units down the other side of the kitchen would it be possible to have drawers on the narrow side?

Comments

• portislayportislay Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    its one she gave me
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I would imagine it would be doable with a made to measure kitchen.

I have a box kitchen that has a tall but narrow pan drawer, I just use it as a chopping board junk drawer, just stack my cookware at the bottom of a normal bottom cupboard. I dont wide cookware though!
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    portislay wrote: »
    its one she gave me

Half past two
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    If you had to use wall units as base units because your kitchen was very narrow, is there a way of getting pan drawers in?

If one side of the kitchen was normal depth units to house a dishwasher and sink, the oven at one end of the kitchen and then very shallow units down the other side of the kitchen would it be possible to have drawers on the narrow side?
    Pan drawer will be problematic, by its very nature, you need depth, there are narrow upright slide in/out pan drawers.

If you have ceiling height, you could consider hanging your pans, not every ones cup of tea.

In stead of using wall units, use base units, cut the depth out of them and alter the depth of the drawers, any carpenter/builder can do that for you.

Who knows you might get a pan drawer out of doing it that way.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Pan drawer will be problematic, by its very nature, you need depth, there are narrow upright slide in/out pan drawers.

If you have ceiling height, you could consider hanging your pans, not every ones cup of tea.

In stead of using wall units, use base units, cut the depth out of them and alter the depth of the drawers, any carpenter/builder can do that for you.

Who knows you might get a pan drawer out of doing it that way.

I dont mean that they shouldnt be deep (as in from top to bottom), I mean that they should be shallow (from back of the wall to front of the drawer).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont mean that they shouldnt be deep (as in from top to bottom), I mean that they should be shallow (from back of the wall to front of the drawer).

Top to bottom = Height

Back of wall to front of drawer = Depth

Use base units and cut the depth out of them.
    :)
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Just think of normal base units/fittings as a starting point or carcass and cut and chop them to suit your needs. Only hiccup I can think of is chopping runners for drawers could get a bit fiddly/challenging but still do'able.
    If you think of them as just carcasses you could look at Ikea's narrow bedroom/wardrobe system (PAX?).... they have units/draw systems that are 35cm deep I think... even if you just used their drawer runners that could be helpful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    Yes. Just think of normal base units/fittings as a starting point or carcass and cut and chop them to suit your needs. Only hiccup I can think of is chopping runners for drawers could get a bit fiddly/challenging but still do'able.
    If you think of them as just carcasses you could look at Ikea's narrow bedroom/wardrobe system (PAX?).... they have units/draw systems that are 35cm deep I think... even if you just used their drawer runners that could be helpful.
    Exactly and might get a pan drawer out of it although still not deep enough IMO.

The plastic or metal runners of drawers to alter will be fiddly but nothing a jig saw, a file and a decent handyman cant take care of in his sleep.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly and might get a pan drawer out of it although still not deep enough IMO.

The plastic or metal runners of drawers to alter will be fiddly but nothing a jig saw, a file and a decent handyman cant take care of in his sleep.

Ok, thanks I never thought of that, I wouldnt have thought you could cut down the drawers the runners really. Anyway, as usual I am asking a pie in the sky question about a house we dont know if we are buying or not. The kitchen is minuscule and we wouldnt have money to extend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, thanks I never thought of that, I wouldnt have thought you could cut down the drawers the runners really. Anyway, as usual I am asking a pie in the sky question about a house we dont know if we are buying or not. The kitchen is minuscule and we wouldnt have money to extend.
    No worries. :)
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Half past two
    When?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are the kind of runners I had in mind and remember the sides of drawers might be metal also, the length of these will have to be altered so it is a fiddly job but I am assuming you are not writing about a lot units.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TOP-QUALITY-SELF-CLOSING-STEEL-DRAWER-RUNNERS-300mm-/400329761018?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_KitchenFurniture_EH&hash=item5d358360fa
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »

thats for corners though, if we had the kitchen Im talking about the corner on one side could possibly take that, but the corner on the other side of the oven wont be able to, because whilst the end of the kitchen can take standard units of 60cm depth, the side running off that would only be able to take units around 35cm deep.

Its actual pan drawers Im talking about, I have a lot of cookware to store (pans, casseroles, baking trays, ramekins etc)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are the kind of runners I had in mind and remember the sides of drawers might be metal also, the length of these will have to be altered so it is a fiddly job but I am assuming you are not writing about a lot units.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TOP-QUALITY-SELF-CLOSING-STEEL-DRAWER-RUNNERS-300mm-/400329761018?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_KitchenFurniture_EH&hash=item5d358360fa

Im not sure the length woujld need to be altered, they are 30cm long runners which presumably would be ok in 30cm depth units?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure the length woujld need to be altered, they are 30cm long runners which presumably would be ok in 30cm depth units?
    You can get them shorter then those I linked to, the link was for illustration only.