Options

What is so wrong about driving in the middle lane at 70mph

Comments

• Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    There is NO obstruction.

There is the fast lane. Why not use than to overtake and travel at the speed you choose ?

There is no fast lane on the motorway, lane 2 and 3 are BOTH overtaking lanes, you seem to think that lane 3 is the fast lane and overtaking lane.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    If you want to speed use the FAST lane to overtake. This really isn't complicted.

You need to refresh your memory as to what a motorway consists of. And that doesn't include a 'fast lane' at all. It's one driving lane and TWO overtaking lanes.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    There is no FAST lane on any motorway in the UK.
    This is like the TV programme "QI" when everyone is just waiting on someone saying a certain phrase, it then flashes up on the screen behind them.......you just said it, well done.:D
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this thread does nothing to dispel the reasonable belief that middle lane hoggers are generally either ignorant or arseholes. And it really is a case of either/or as stupidity can fit into either category.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it has archived the opposite effect.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    There is NO obstruction.

There is the fast lane. Why not use than to overtake and travel at the speed you choose ?

There is an obstruction if you are refusing to move over into a reasonably clear inside lane and the motorist behind you can't join lane three as it is busy and traveling much faster than lane two. It's selfish motorists like yourself that turn a three lane motorway into a dual carriageway. Precisely why the Police now have the power to pull motorists over that are seen to be obstructing other road users.

Repetitively describing the outside lane as the fast lane shows how poor your understanding is of a UK motorway, let alone how poorly you come across at driving on them.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    I think it has archived the opposite effect.

What does that mean. Do you mean achieved? If so, I still don't know what you mean. It's achieved the opposite effect of what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does that mean. Do you mean achieved? If so, I still don't know what you mean. It's achieved the opposite effect of what?

Yes sorry, achieved. I was typing on a phone...:)

Those getting annoyed about someone driving in the middle lane at 70 mph have generally admitted they tend to get angry behind the wheel and think speed is irrelevant. :o they also think there is no risk involved in changing lane, which I think is incorrect.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Those getting annoyed about someone driving in the middle lane at 70 mph have generally admitted they tend to get angry behind the wheel and think speed is irrelevant. :o they also think there is no risk involved in changing lane, which I think is incorrect.
    Not I hope whilst driving and hogging the middle lane.

There is no more risk in changing lanes as there is getting behind the wheel in the first place.

The motorways are the safest roads to drive on, it's just when there is an accident it tends to be more devastating because of the high speed involved and a higher concentration of vehicles in close proximity.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm of the opinion that this is all very simple.

You travel in the left most lane unless you are actively overtaking. A good rule of thumb often mentioned by 'driving experts' is if the gap is more than 15-20 secs between you and the vehicle in the distance then you aren't actively overtaking and should move over. Doesn't sound like much perhaps but at motorway speeds this is approx 0.3 - 0.5 miles which is a gap plenty large enough.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Not I hope whilst driving and hogging the middle lane.

There is no more risk in changing lanes as there is getting behind the wheel in the first place.

The motorways are the safest roads to drive on, it's just when there is an accident it tends to be more devastating because of the high speed involved and a higher concentration of vehicles in close proximity.

Absolutely. Motorway driving should be the safest, easiest way to drive - just as long as people stick to the correct way of using them which is to drive in the further lane to the left that it is safe to do so, move out to overtake and move back as soon as it is safe to do so.

Anyone who can't grasp that, thinks it's too dangerous to move out and move back in again or sits in one lane regardless of what is happening around them should be allowed to drive unaccompanied
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that this is all very simple.

You travel in the left most lane unless you are actively overtaking. A good rule of thumb often mentioned by 'driving experts' is if the gap is more than 15-20 secs between you and the vehicle in the distance then you aren't actively overtaking and should move over. Doesn't sound like much perhaps but at motorway speeds this is approx 0.3 - 0.5 miles which is a gap plenty large enough.

Yes I agree Claire, this sounds like the best approach!

Of course, in England there is rarely half a mile of free space in the left-hand lane on motorways, apart from in the middle of the night.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't recall anyone who dislikes middle lane hoggers saying they get angry behind the wheel.

Speed IS irrelevant to the issue of lane hogging. If you are in the middle lane and you don't need to be, you are an obstruction on the road, regardless of speed. People middle lane hog at <70mph, and anyone wishing to overtake them can also be travelling at <70mph. They may very well be speeding, but unless you are driving a car marked "police" that is not your concern.

The risk of changing lanes is vastly smaller than the one presented by someone who doesn't understand how multiple-lane roads work, and anyone who doesn't and gets confused by terms such as undertaking or is not confident about their ability to change lane safely probably should not use such roads for the safety of everyone else.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to speed use the FAST lane to overtake. This really isn't complicted.

Apparently it is. Do us a favour and stay off the roads, eh?
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    That chance, if the driver is even vaguely competent, is absolutely tiny. Anyone who is so unconfident at driving that they are nervous about it occurring really should stay off the motorways.

You've got that backwards. Anyone who is so confident that they ignore these small risks is the one who should stay off the roads.
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    No, it's not.
    There is no minimum speed limit, and you'd only ever represent a 'danger' on the motorway if you were travelling

People are a danger when they drive in a non-conforming manner. You don't expect a car to travel at 50mph or below, in good conditions on a clear motorway. And anyone behind them who's been surprised, and has had to break more sharply than intended, will then have to slow to the same speed, and have to face extra danger trying to overtake into a middle lane where cars might be traveling at up to double the speed, and will himself become a danger to approaching traffic behind.

(BTW I think there is a minimum speed limit on motorways; there is abroad anyway. Although obviously it doesn't apply when there is congestion.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall anyone who dislikes middle lane hoggers saying they get angry behind the wheel.

Speed IS irrelevant to the issue of lane hogging. If you are in the middle lane and you don't need to be, you are an obstruction on the road, regardless of speed. People middle lane hog at <70mph, and anyone wishing to overtake them can also be travelling at <70mph. They may very well be speeding, but unless you are driving a car marked "police" that is not your concern.

The risk of changing lanes is vastly smaller than the one presented by someone who doesn't understand how multiple-lane roads work, and anyone who doesn't and gets confused by terms such as undertaking or is not confident about their ability to change lane safely probably should not use such roads for the safety of everyone else.

The BIB shouldn't need repeating a million times but still can't believe there are people on this thread who cannot grasp that simple fact
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    398 posts, who cares? same old arguments, everyone thinks their view is "Correct".
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    The BIB shouldn't need repeating a million times but still can't believe there are people on this thread who cannot grasp that simple fact

And this is the bit that posses off many motorists. The MLMs join the motorway, get to 70mph, move to lane 2 and then switch on their superiority complex because they're now complying with the law that states 70mph is the speed limit, they're doing that so everyone else is in the wrong. They're oblivious to everything else going on outside of their car - road conditions, speed of other vehicles, congestion, all those other things that competent drivers take into consideration, and mock those trying to negotiate the motorway system but are caught up behind the morons who rigidly stay in the middle lane as is its their God-given right.

Arseholes of the highest order.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    You've got that backwards. Anyone who is so confident that they ignore these small risks is the one who should stay off the roads.
    People are a danger when they drive in a non-conforming manner. You don't expect a car to travel at 50mph or below, in good conditions on a clear motorway. And anyone behind them who's been surprised, and has had to break more sharply than intended, will then have to slow to the same speed, and have to face extra danger trying to overtake into a middle lane where cars might be traveling at up to double the speed, and will himself become a danger to approaching traffic behind.

(BTW I think there is a minimum speed limit on motorways; there is abroad anyway. Although obviously it doesn't apply when there is congestion.)
    No there isn't. Otherwise there would be minimum spped limit signs up.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For any length of time on motorways. If people want to drive at 80mph, 90mph, 100mph, there is a dedicated OVERTAKING LANE for the purpose of overtaking. So use the bleedin' thing!

And don't expect those doing 70mph (the speed limit) to keep hopping into the slow lane behind lorries doing 25mph, and then having to negotiate their way back into the middle lane 30 seconds later.

I can't understand all those people, like Bill Turnbull just on Room 101, complaining about people driving at 70 feeling comfortable and safe in the middle lane, not having to weave in and out. If he likes weaving in and out and exceeding te speed limit, why not use the OVERTAKING lane.

But yet again not one of the "bright people" on the show mentioned this.

As you say, 70mph is the speed limit on a motorway.

A few miles over it in decent conditions is ok, but people shouldn't be doing 90-100mph.

Assuming that the slow lane is full of trundling lorries, I'm fine with people doing 70mph in the middle lane. It's those that are doing 50-60mph in the middle lane that are the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree Claire, this sounds like the best approach!

Of course, in England there is rarely half a mile of free space in the left-hand lane on motorways, apart from in the middle of the night.

That's certainly not my experience when using some of the busiest motorways in the country, the M1, M62, M606, M6, M61.....

Busy times are of course works traffic, but in between those times it can quieten down a fair bit on various stretches, quiet enough to use the inside lane. Early evening can be quiet enough to use the inside lane too, also Sat/Sun early on, even through the day when you get passed j32 on the M6....
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »

No I haven't, because I didn't say anything about being so confident that they ignore risks.

The usual excuse from the lane-hoggers is that they stay there because it's 'less dangerous' than changing lanes. Anyone who thinks that 'risk' justifies their behaviour is clearly lacking in confidence and competence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    That's certainly not my experience when using some of the busiest motorways in the country, the M1, M62, M606, M6, M61.....

Busy times are of course works traffic, but in between those times it can quieten down a fair bit on various stretches, quiet enough to use the inside lane. Early evening can be quiet enough to use the inside lane too, also Sat/Sun early on, even through the day when you get passed j32 on the M6....

I use the M25 a lot and, outside of the peak hours, I often spend time in the inside lane and have to move out to overtake a MLH driving slower than me in lane 2 or even lane 3 (In the 4 lane section)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I use the M25 a lot and, outside of the peak hours, I often spend time in the inside lane and have to move out to overtake a MLH driving slower than me in lane 2 or even lane 3 (In the 4 lane section)

Was a blanket statement by the poster, maybe they meant to say "the stretch of motorway they use and times they use it" not the entire motorway network. :D
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And this is the bit that posses off many motorists. The MLMs join the motorway, get to 70mph, move to lane 2 and then switch on their superiority complex because they're now complying with the law that states 70mph is the speed limit, they're doing that so everyone else is in the wrong. They're oblivious to everything else going on outside of their car - road conditions, speed of other vehicles, congestion, all those other things that competent drivers take into consideration, and mock those trying to negotiate the motorway system but are caught up behind the morons who rigidly stay in the middle lane as is its their God-given right.

Arseholes of the highest order.

See this is the thing many of us don't get at all. As someone who isn't a middle lane hog (I'm usually content to go at 60-70 on the inside lane where possible and overtake and pull in again when not) I'm more worried about people like you who get worked up about this than the hoggers themselves - even though I think they are wrong.