Options

Is anyone else dissapointed by today's technology?

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i agree with you there, apart from the fact that you could watch TV on a small Tv around the late 70's with Clive Sinclair pocket Tv.

Ok technology have changed now and those days it was a tiny black and white thing

The things is though, how good would the reception would have been if you were moving around the house? I remember walking around my sister's house back in 2000 with a pocket TV and the reception used to go misty when I was in a certain position. It was only able to receive analogue signals though. It also had a colour screen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree with you there, apart from the fact that you could watch TV on a small Tv around the late 70's with Clive Sinclair pocket Tv.

Ok technology have changed now and those days it was a tiny black and white thing

A stepping-stone along the way perhaps, but mosty based on different technology from the wireless wonders of today.

We're on the brink of a new phase of wireless connectivity that will change the way many things are done, such as the diagnosis and possible rectification of all kinds of home appliances.

Got a faulty gas boiler - then telephone a service centre and ask them what's wrong with it. A lot of kit already contains the ability to self-diagnose, and if such information can be communicated to a service centre, then new possibilities for maintenance are opened up.

GPS could make speed cameras an irrelevance, as another example.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    And the more technology we get and the more we have in the home the more vulnerable we seem to become from people who do not have good intentions towards us.

For every upside there always seems to be an even darker downside.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The things is though, how good would the reception would have been if you were moving around the house? I remember walking around my sister's house back in 2000 with a pocket TV and the reception used to go misty when I was in a certain position. It was only able to receive analogue signals though. It also had a colour screen.

The pocket Tv was a marvel in it's day, sure it was not perfect, but the one a mate of mine got, worked flipping fine once you got a good spot for it :)
    It still works now, but with no analogue, you got to find some way of meaning a signal to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    A stepping-stone along the way perhaps, but mosty based on different technology from the wireless wonders of today.

i agree, but then I just said you could watch Tv on the move, I did nto say how it was possible.
    We're on the brink of a new phase of wireless connectivity that will change the way many things are done, such as the diagnosis and possible rectification of all kinds of home appliances.

Got a faulty gas boiler - then telephone a service centre and ask them what's wrong with it. A lot of kit already contains the ability to self-diagnose, and if such information can be communicated to a service centre, then new possibilities for maintenance are opened up.

GPS could make speed cameras an irrelevance, as another example.

None of my home appliances are going to talk back to any server. true my gas boiler have got self diagnosis, it would come up with a fault code, only happened once, never done it again. My old boiler was a different thing, it always used to come with fault code, but when they come to fixed it, the fault code was never relevant to the problem

To make speed cameras obsolete you need every car to have GPS and that is not going to happen for a while. While some new cars have got GPS, it is normally on my expensive models. A friend have just got her self a brand new Mitsubishi, The first thing she did was disable the GPS. she hates them

There are still a lot of old and cheaper cars that don't have GPS, so it will be many years years yet.

We have had all this connecting appliances to the net before, but I still do not see the point in it. Fridges that can tell me what food is running out, now how would it do that?

What point would there be to connect my coffee maker or my cooker to the net, or even my washing machine?
    No point what so ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree, but then I just said you could watch Tv on the move, I did nto say how it was possible.

None of my home appliances are going to talk back to any server. true my gas boiler have got self diagnosis, it would come up with a fault code, only happened once, never done it again. My old boiler was a different thing, it always used to come with fault code, but when they come to fixed it, the fault code was never relevant to the problem

To make speed cameras obsolete you need every car to have GPS and that is not going to happen for a while. While some new cars have got GPS, it is normally on my expensive models. A friend have just got her self a brand new Mitsubishi, The first thing she did was disable the GPS. she hates them

There are still a lot of old and cheaper cars that don't have GPS, so it will be many years years yet.

We have had all this connecting appliances to the net before, but I still do not see the point in it. Fridges that can tell me what food is running out, now how would it do that?

What point would there be to connect my coffee maker or my cooker to the net, or even my washing machine?
    No point what so ever.

Probably more advanced than you think - BG have rolled out Hive Active Heating over the past two years, which enables remote control of central heating and hot-water by a mobile phone linking through the Internet.

A lot of vehicles are fitted with sat nav, which is easily fitted to any age of vehicle.

Detailed feedback from appliances is obviously useful for research and development of more reliable appliances.

Airliners are flown by computers, and cars can already be driverless and computer controlled - which has been in use in the testing of cars for some years.

Range Rovers and Mercedes have been using complex feedback systems for some years, e.g. the four wheel drive system on the Range Rover.

The computerised systems used on formula one cars are pretty amazing.

Technology is generally getting smaller with more power, and in many cases, relatively cheaper.

The average smart phone is packed with technology and offers a wide range of opportunities for linking people to things via the Internet while on the move.

My first computer had a 16 GB hard drive and cost me 1800 pounds – now something half the size of a postage stamp can provide the same storage space and costs around a tenner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No point what so ever.

More and more appliances will be made that will communicate with servers, where the servers will tell the appliance to give off a warning to people in the house if anything's wrong. More and more electric/electronic items are being made connectable to the internet these days. The internet is starting to dominate nearly everything now. The world is starting to revolve around the internet these days. It's taking centre stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    More and more appliances will be made that will communicate with servers, where the servers will tell the appliance to give off a warning to people in the house if anything's wrong. More and more electric/electronic items are being made connectable to the internet these days. The internet is starting to dominate nearly everything now. The world is starting to revolve around the internet these days. It's taking centre stage.

I think many manufacturers are trying to create a market and convince us their latest tech is something we can't live without - what tripe. Why do I need an app to control my heating and hot water? I set the timer schedule in autumn and don't touch my heating again until spring - job done. I'm also more than capable of looking in my fridge and making the decision when it needs replenishing. As much as I like tech there is no way I want household products or cars connecting me to the Internet. Any that did would be immediately disabled. We are becoming to reliant on tech and losing the ability to think for ourselves.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a thread last year about a Volvo owner with failed electric windows.

Bit surprising, because it was both and it wasn't just a fuse.

Anyway, he was a bit pissed off, because he was getting quotes for over £2000 to fix them.

No idea how the story resolved.

I'm very much 'make do and mend' and hate technology for techologies sake.

But I hope I can fix my laptop unless it's a motherboard fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    I think many manufacturers are trying to create a market and convince us their latest tech is something we can't live without - what tripe. Why do I need an app to control my heating and hot water? I set the timer schedule in autumn and don't touch my heating again until spring - job done. I'm also more than capable of looking in my fridge and making the decision when it needs replenishing. As much as I like tech there is no way I want household products or cars connecting me to the Internet. Any that did would be immediately disabled. We are becoming to reliant on tech and losing the ability to think for ourselves.

The future is more and more advanced technology that is either aimed at giving us more enjoyment, or making our lives a lot more easier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably more advanced than you think - BG have rolled out Hive Active Heating over the past two years, which enables remote control of central heating and hot-water by a mobile phone linking through the Internet.

I have heard about that, I can't me getting that, for a start the house is not mine and I can't see the HA forking out for it, thank goodness.

A lot of vehicles are fitted with sat nav, which is easily fitted to any age of vehicle.

I know that as well. A friend of mine just got herself a new car and the first thing she did was to disable sat nav. She used to use a tom Tom, but it got on her nerves and would send her out of the way. she she don't use sat nav now.
    Detailed feedback from appliances is obviously useful for research and development of more reliable appliances.

Um, they used to build reliable appliances years ago. the problem now is that there is too much electronics in stuff that don't need it and too much to go wrong.
    i think they do it on purpose to be honest, so we will buy more.
    Airliners are flown by computers, and cars can already be driverless and computer controlled - which has been in use in the testing of cars for some years.

But they still need a pilot which can take over when the computers can't cope with a situation. i don't think I would ever trust a drvierless car.

Range Rovers and Mercedes have been using complex feedback systems for some years, e.g. the four wheel drive system on the Range Rover.

The computerised systems used on formula one cars are pretty amazing.

I know this, i use to watch F1 a lot and used to be really interested in it, I still am, but not as much as i used to be. I have also seen what happens when complex feedback systems in cars go wrong and how much it costs to get sorted.

Technology is generally getting smaller with more power, and in many cases, relatively cheaper.

And sometimes a little bit scary
    The average smart phone is packed with technology and offers a wide range of opportunities for linking people to things via the Internet while on the move.

I know, I have got one.
    My first computer had a 16 GB hard drive and cost me 1800 pounds – now something half the size of a postage stamp can provide the same storage space and costs around a tenner.

My first computer had a black and white output, had 1k of ram, expandable to a gigantic 16k, had a flat keyboard and had two speeds.
    slow and very slow :)

But yes i know what you are getting at, a mate of mine still uses a 233 Intel based machine for midi and I keep telling him my phone got more power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thankfully we will still have control over it. I can stop anything connecting to my internet and to be honest I really would not want my appliances connecting to the net.

The problem is, even if there is no real need to connect stuff to the net, it looks good in the spec, so people will buy it for that. As of yet I don't think there are many appliances that connect to the net, certainly not in my price range.

We been told years ago that fridges and freezers would connect and would tell you when it is running out of a product, as of yet that have not happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a thread last year about a Volvo owner with failed electric windows.

Bit surprising, because it was both and it wasn't just a fuse.

Anyway, he was a bit pissed off, because he was getting quotes for over £2000 to fix them.

No idea how the story resolved.

I'm very much 'make do and mend' and hate technology for techologies sake.

But I hope I can fix my laptop unless it's a motherboard fault.

I agree with both of you,
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Thankfully we will still have control over it. I can stop anything connecting to my internet and to be honest I really would not want my appliances connecting to the net.

The problem is, even if there is no real need to connect stuff to the net, it looks good in the spec, so people will buy it for that. As of yet I don't think there are many appliances that connect to the net, certainly not in my price range.

We been told years ago that fridges and freezers would connect and would tell you when it is running out of a product, as of yet that have not happened.
    You won't like my new electricity meter then. It sends the readings back to HQ automatically so I only need someone to look at it every 2 years.
    The whole point of technology is to make life easier IMO. If something doesn't do that then it's not invested in here. However, anything that does will be considered. It's pointless having a Luddite view of any of it as it will have little affect on it's progress.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    You won't like my new electricity meter then. It sends the readings back to HQ automatically so I only need someone to look at it every 2 years.

There have been threads about smart meters on DS and I have put my point on how I feel about them. I would not have one, so far I have not been asked, i doubt i will be for a few years as my energy provider is like a virtual provider, in that they piggy back on British Gas.

I know someone who did refuse one from BG and that was the end of it. No why pressure.
    The whole point of technology is to make life easier IMO. If something doesn't do that then it's not invested in here. However, anything that does will be considered. It's pointless having a Luddite view of any of it as it will have little affect on it's progress.

There is some technology out there to make life easier, there are some out there just to make money and try to get us to think we need it, and others are just from tracking and spying on us and that part is getting worse.

What difference to my life would it make if my washing machine sent info to the manufactures or some other company? My machine washes my clothes well, I stick in washing powder ( yes washing powder) and conditioner is need be, set it to the right program, press start and away it goes. After a 1-2 hours depending on the program it stops and beeps to tell me it have stopped. i then open the door, take the washing out and hang it on the line.

My fridge/freezer, i open the door, choose what I want, take it out and close the door. I can see if I am running out of butter, that why I was born with eyes, they may not be as good as some peoples, but I can still see what is in my fridge.

I am not against technology, even if some people on here think I am, but technology just because it can be done is no reason it should be done.

It may progress, but it don't mean I have to use it.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of us are experiencing what was dubbed 'overchoice'. An idea that there is so much consumer tech out there, and a sea of products claiming unique selling points, that instead of being fun deciding on what technology to buy, it's become confusing, fatiguing and irritating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overchoice

I liked this video I saw the other day about the laughable attempts by the TV industry to try and push 'curved' displays.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/technology-video/10927199/World-Cup-viewing-are-4K-and-Curved-TVs-a-gimmick.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard about that, I can't me getting that, for a start the house is not mine and I can't see the HA forking out for it, thank goodness.

I know that as well. A friend of mine just got herself a new car and the first thing she did was to disable sat nav. She used to use a tom Tom, but it got on her nerves and would send her out of the way. she she don't use sat nav now.

Um, they used to build reliable appliances years ago. the problem now is that there is too much electronics in stuff that don't need it and too much to go wrong.
    i think they do it on purpose to be honest, so we will buy more.

But they still need a pilot which can take over when the computers can't cope with a situation. i don't think I would ever trust a drvierless car.

I know this, i use to watch F1 a lot and used to be really interested in it, I still am, but not as much as i used to be. I have also seen what happens when complex feedback systems in cars go wrong and how much it costs to get sorted.

And sometimes a little bit scary

I know, I have got one.

My first computer had a black and white output, had 1k of ram, expandable to a gigantic 16k, had a flat keyboard and had two speeds.
    slow and very slow :)

But yes i know what you are getting at, a mate of mine still uses a 233 Intel based machine for midi and I keep telling him my phone got more power.

I accept that there will be pros and cons, and that it won't be all good for the average person.

How information is gathered (how much choice will we hold on to), stored, and used will be a big issue.

Apparently, google are ready to jump in on anything that is used a lot in daily life, which doesn't fill me with a warm glow!

Google reminds me of Sebastion in Little Britain, i.e. eager to meet your every need, but constantly measuring your inside leg!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    [quote=Davonator;73588476
    I liked this video I saw the other day about the laughable attempts by the TV industry to try and push 'curved' displays.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/technology-video/10927199/World-Cup-viewing-are-4K-and-Curved-TVs-a-gimmick.html[/quote]

That video is great.
    Just love the last line, 'And what really matters is whats on', oh so true
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been threads about smart meters on DS and I have put my point on how I feel about them. I would not have one, so far I have not been asked, i doubt i will be for a few years as my energy provider is like a virtual provider, in that they piggy back on British Gas.

I know someone who did refuse one from BG and that was the end of it. No why pressure.

There is some technology out there to make life easier, there are some out there just to make money and try to get us to think we need it, and others are just from tracking and spying on us and that part is getting worse.

What difference to my life would it make if my washing machine sent info to the manufactures or some other company? My machine washes my clothes well, I stick in washing powder ( yes washing powder) and conditioner is need be, set it to the right program, press start and away it goes. After a 1-2 hours depending on the program it stops and beeps to tell me it have stopped. i then open the door, take the washing out and hang it on the line.

My fridge/freezer, i open the door, choose what I want, take it out and close the door. I can see if I am running out of butter, that why I was born with eyes, they may not be as good as some peoples, but I can still see what is in my fridge.

I am not against technology, even if some people on here think I am, but technology just because it can be done is no reason it should be done.

It may progress, but it don't mean I have to use it.

It will progress.

Some things you don't know will improve your life till you try them such as Google now.

Disabling a satnav because it's annoying is stupid as well. Could she not find the volume?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It will progress.

Some things you don't know will improve your life till you try them such as Google now.

Disabling a satnav because it's annoying is stupid as well. Could she not find the volume?

She wouldn't have even had to have anything to do with it unless she physically selected it. :confused:
    You are right, tech should always about improving your life. No one is saying that any of it is necessarily 'essential'. The problem with most of it is that it dates so quickly, forever feeding the addiction..:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accept that there will be pros and cons, and that it won't be all good for the average person.

I think I proved to myself today that relying on technology and not having any any fall back is not clever, it is just stupid.

We have had threads on DS about a cashless society and that cash is a dying way to pay, it may be, but it is reliable. I went into Morrisons today to get some bits. I am off work for a week so I really did not want to walk down there and to be honest I did not really want to go there on my week off..
    Anyway, I did not have any cash on me , so I decided to pay by my debit card, twice I tried and it declined.
    so I had to go out of the shop, around to the cash machine to get money out using the same card and from the same account. then had to go back in and pay for my shopping.

So why did that happen? I think that proves my point that a cashless society is never going to work. I know one thing, it will teach me never again to go anywhere without cash.

How information is gathered (how much choice will we hold on to), stored, and used will be a big issue.

And this is going to be one of the problems, at the moment we got a choice, even with my mobile phone I can choose how much not to enabled some things, not sure if it makes any difference mind you.
    Apparently, google are ready to jump in on anything that is used a lot in daily life, which doesn't fill me with a warm glow!

Google reminds me of Sebastion in Little Britain, i.e. eager to meet your every need, but constantly measuring your inside leg!

That is a scary thing to be honest, there was a time when our government wanted to use Google to store our medical records, it is bad enough the government wanting to put them on a database never mind having Google behind it. Hopefully my letter to my surgery have stopped that happening, but I expect the government will come up with something else and we will once again have to opt out.
    Getting to be like the E.U, if you give the wrong answer according to them they will try again until they get the one they want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will progress.

So tell me how will Google now improve my life?

No because it still displays on the screen. she hope it is disabled, but you never know with some things, it may just turn of the display.
    call100 wrote: »
    She wouldn't have even had to have anything to do with it unless she physically selected it. :confused:

It does, as soon as she puts the key in the ignition the satnav displays and even if she don't enter anything in, it will still display where the car is going. Also, there is not a straight forward menu option to disable it either, she had to have a look at the manual to find out how to do it.

she wish she could have kept her old car, it may have been 8 years old, but at least it did not question her driving. :) Too much crap put into cars now and I think too many things for the driver to look at with displays, lights and alarms and most of them for silly thing. As my friend said, she have been driving for 25 years now, so do not need a car to tell her how to drive and when to change gear.
    You are right, tech should always about improving your life. No one is saying that any of it is necessarily 'essential'. The problem with most of it is that it dates so quickly, forever feeding the addiction..:)

Some of it is not needed at all and to be honest just there to either make money or just to be plain nosy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No because it still displays on the screen. she hope it is disabled, but you never know with some things, it may just turn of the display.
    What is the make and model of that car?
    Some of it is not needed at all and to be honest just there to either make money or just to be plain nosy.
    You, don't say!?:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The future is more and more advanced technology that is either aimed at giving us more enjoyment, or making our lives a lot more easier.

You mean something like THIS?

This is exactly why I won't be bothering with such household products.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean something like THIS?

This is exactly why I won't be bothering with such household products.

Whoever made that should have made sure that nothing like that would happen. The makers of it will probably fix the issue not long in the future.