Do you have a pet house spider?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unwritten law of nature - you can't kill something you've named!

Quite right too! I don't like spiders but I won't kill them ~ I just like to "liberate" them when they find themselves in my house. And anyway they do have a purpose ~ to catch those blessed flies!
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't kill them and my Husband's strictly forbidden from killing them too. (lHe catches them and evicts them) I'd love to pretend it's because I have such a kind nature, but in honesty it's because I have this irrational fear that if anyone kills one in my home an even bigger one will come and terrorize me.

Whenever the cat or dog gets hold of one I generally run screaming from the room because if I see them being killed the spider paranoia sets in. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBHM wrote: »
    I love the fact someone called their cat Smudge - what a great name for a cat :)
    I have also decided to name my spider-in-a-jar as a result of reading this thread - he is now officially named Brian.
    The cats REALLY want to eat him, but his body is so fat it would almost certainly leave a mess and I don't want to run the risk that the cats would let him go and he disappears somewhere I can't reach him.
    So for the cats he is now a toy-in-a-jar and the happily roll him around the floor for five minutes here and there.
    I don't know how Brian feels about that cos I don't speak spider.

Thanks! When we got him, he was so tiny - runt of the litter, and he is black and grey and a bit of brown, and just looked like a teeny smudge! Bless him! Flippin massive cat though now, with a huge amount of fur!
    Oh poor Brian!! Probably best you don't learn spider! :D
  • nikki1nikki1 Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never kill spiders, not even if it was so big it wore 8 x size 12 boots!

I have a spider-catcher and pop them outside if they are a bit too scary looking. I don't like them on me or near me but I can't hurt one - they make me laugh and are harmless.

What's a spider catcher (my son has them but they are called cats} no seriously what is a spider catcher. I like the sound of that. Spiders have never bothered me in the past they would climb the wall and live for days in their own corner....These ones are big and they run fast and dont like the idea of them being on the floor, too bloody close for comfort.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bug/spider catcher is a clear plastic pyramid-shaped container attached to a handle that allows you to put the catcher over the top of the spider then pull a cord that shuts the container trapping the spider inside. You can then carry the spider at arm's length out of the house. If you google bug catcher there are loads of sites selling them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im terrified of spiders, but wierdly i'll hapilly hold a tantula :confused: my 2 cats play with and eat spiders - they're a fab tag team! generally roxy will play with it then when shes fed up scooby will eat it. we tend to get the big tattoo-and-peircing-covered-muscular-hairy-legged-stilleto-wearing variety of spider here *shudder* i swear the last one actually tipped his hat at me!

on a similar train of thought, my 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son have named a house fly Toby. praying the cats dont get a hold of him lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmsl @ BigBHM - i dont speak spider either!
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilhemina wrote: »
    A bug/spider catcher is a clear plastic pyramid-shaped container attached to a handle that allows you to put the catcher over the top of the spider then pull a cord that shuts the container trapping the spider inside. You can then carry the spider at arm's length out of the house. If you google bug catcher there are loads of sites selling them.

My Parents bought me one of those years ago from Betterware. It was a long handle with a plastic box thingy that you put over the spider then pulled a cord on the handle to close it. The first (and last! time I used it to catch a large spider off the ceiling the bloody spider missed the box, slid down the pole and landed on me! :eek:
    I'm surprised no-one phoned the police after the screaming that came from my house that day!

This was a good 10-15 years ago now mind you, so hopefully they've improved the design since then!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Parents bought me one of those years ago from Betterware. It was a long handle with a plastic box thingy that you put over the spider then pulled a cord on the handle to close it. The first (and last! time I used it to catch a large spider off the ceiling the bloody spider missed the box, slid down the pole and landed on me! :eek:
    I'm surprised no-one phoned the police after the screaming that came from my house that day!

This was a good 10-15 years ago now mind you, so hopefully they've improved the design since then!

that would have finished me off :eek::o
  • nikki1nikki1 Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilhemina wrote: »

Thanks, I will look at getting one, If I am quick enough to catch it, these spiders must be on speed they are really,really fast...Or is it me slowing down :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the spiders on the ground or in a reachable place then the glass & beer mat works just as well. The bug catcher's good when they're out of reach.

My mother's petrified of spiders & I don't mean doesn't like them or would rather they stayed outside ~ she's really quite phobic to the extent that she would faint if she discovered a medium to large spider near her. I can remember coming home from school one day & finding my mother sat on an upturned bucket in the middle of the living room. Apparently there was a large spider under the bucket & she thought that if she didn't sit on the bucket the spider would just lift it up & escape:eek:.

I think I've caught my mother's irrational fear of spiders but not to such a large degree. But my OH has come home after a late night shift to find several pint glasses dotted around the place, each covering up a spider:D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    we have a spider that's been here longer than we have :) I don't like him/her, spiders freak me out. Mum named him/her Henry though. She says it's got bigger since we've been here. We recently got a kitten, wonder if Henry survives the next time he appears;):D
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    nikki1 wrote: »
    What's a spider catcher (my son has them but they are called cats} no seriously what is a spider catcher. I like the sound of that. Spiders have never bothered me in the past they would climb the wall and live for days in their own corner....These ones are big and they run fast and dont like the idea of them being on the floor, too bloody close for comfort.

Maybe I shouldn't have used that term - as it's nothing more than a collapsible plastic cup, the only difference being that you don't have to use things you use for drinking out of.

On Googling, there are devices with long handles that are supposed to pick spiders up so that you need not get close, such as this -

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.giftmonger.com/acatalog/spidercatcherLARGE.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.giftmonger.com/acatalog/Spider_Catcher.html&usg=__P1pcXlmxJxQAtaBBK_MEA-emScQ=&h=450&w=450&sz=36&hl=en&start=16&um=1&tbnid=CYBpmgAESAcpGM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dspider%2Bcatcher%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ASUS_enGB315%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Although I'd say the one michelle666 mentions sounds better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Years ago at my Grandparents house, there used to be a Spider that would just stick his front legs out from behind the fireplace every so often that I called 'Cheeky.' I used to leave Fruit Pastels and everything for him at the spot by the fireplace where he came out. I was gutted when I found out he wasn't acually eating them but my Grandma was just picking them up and binning them. I think the Spider lived for quite a long time, either that or it was several different Spiders that just did the same thing.

These days whenever there is a Spider, the Dog eats it but theres a little brown one been living in the corner of my window for a week. I know this'll sound harsh but I trash the web sometimes just to see it rebuild again, it's really fascinating to watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I was having a giggle at this thread last night but I now have a very ugly spider in my bedroom (one of those with the extra long legs and tiny body), it's really eeewwwwwww!! I've decided to call it Radiomaniac in honour of the op!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a spiddy called Boris who was massive and lived in a hole by the pipe in the downstairs toilet.

He lived there for ages and I'd talk to him/her while I was sat on the loo :D

I told my son about it as I fondly looked at Boris exploring the cloakroom/bog one day and he fetched a dustpan and brush and sweeped him up, taking him outside to the cold and unfriendly world!:mad:

Little does he know that Boris had babies and the weeny little things are enjoying their tiny little lives climbing all over the walls in there...sons and daughters and sons and daughters etc of dear BORIS MMMMWWWWAAAHAHAHAH!!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I am very afraid of spiders, but have been trying to improve. So, when I noticed a massive hairy wolf spider on the wall, I refused to panic. I actually managed to share the front room with it for two whole days, typing sideways on and watching TV with one eye.

But then he had to go and ruin it by disappearing and then reappearing running hell for leather across the floor.

I'm afraid he had to go at that point, which I achieved by putting a nappy bag over my hand, then picking up a wodge of tissue, grabbing him and hurling him and the tissue out the window. I can't kill spiders, see.

Still though, two days with a spider that size is no small feat for me! The only name I've ever given to a spider though is b*stard, and he was no exception :D
  • mmcdmmcd Posts: 8,558
    Forum Member
    Seeing the title of this thread reminded me of a number of years ago and my niece had a massive spider in her house and she decided to name it 'spinney' . Now it lived for ages in her bedroom not bothering anybody, minding its own business and then one late summer my parents decided to go for a visit to my sister's for a few days. My niece could not find 'spinney' anywhere and asked everyone if they had seen it. My mum said 'who's spinney' and was told it was my niece's pet spider. My mum hadn't the heart to tell her that she had been tidying up her room and came across this massive spider with its massive web and well, I think we all know where this story is going :eek: :D
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I was having a giggle at this thread last night but I now have a very ugly spider in my bedroom (one of those with the extra long legs and tiny body), it's really eeewwwwwww!! I've decided to call it Radiomaniac in honour of the op!

Wow - that's a real honour! (I can live with the ugly bit.) :D

As long as he doesn't get gobbled by cats or squashed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Wow - that's a real honour! (I can live with the ugly bit.) :D

As long as he doesn't get gobbled by cats or squashed!

That could be an ominous omen :eek:
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    I don't have a house spider... but I have a car spider! It lives inside the wing mirror on the driver's side of my car and it's been there for months.

I've named him Boris after The Who song, Boris the Spider :D

Ha-ha-ha! - Snap!

I've also got one living in my driver's side mirror - and I also call him Boris.

'Great minds' and all that.... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my friend andi have just named a spider on (the outside, thankfully!) of her window. its to the left and has a big bum ... we've called it beyonce :D:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    I have a had a plastic spider the past 2 weeks which I have had great fun scaring the crap out of the rest of the family, placing it on pillows, bottoms of cups, etc - the best one was in a DVD case and it jumped out when my son opened it - never stops being funny:D

The other day the dog was playing with it, chucking it up in the air and catching it, I went to get it off of him and it was a real one, big black and hairy:eek:

I am petrified of them:eek:
  • shakeyershammyshakeyershammy Posts: 18,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    Ha-ha-ha! - Snap!

I've also got one living in my driver's side mirror - and I also call him Boris.

'Great minds' and all that.... :D

:D How weird is that?? I was gonna call him Cyril originally but thought he suited being a Boris!

The thing is, I'm petrified of spiders but this one doesn't bother me. As long as he keeps out of my way (and, more importantly, doesn't grow any bigger!) then we'll get on just fine.

Boris must have good taste in cars though, like me! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who is really scared of spiders but would never, never hurt them, I get a pint glass and some cardboard and re-locate them to another part of the house as they don't survive if you put them in the garden (more so in winter). My daughter will, without fail, give the spider a name.