Options

Does anyone have any experience of FREECYCLE?

RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
Forum Member
I have a few largish items to find homes for, they are electrical so my local charity shop won't take them.

So I've just registered with Freecycle (mainly to have a look first, you cant see what's wanted/on offer without registering), and some of the 'wants' are funny.

Someone wants a butterdish, another wants a laptop, another a new mobile phone and someone has a huge old telly to give away and said it'll 'beat any burglars' because it's too heavy to lift and cart off!

Has anyone here ever used this service? Is it full of people who want to sell your stuff on and make money, or are there genuine people in need that use it?

A couple almost made me cry - someone wants a little foot stool because her legs hurt unless they're elevated (now, now!) - I envisaged a dear old granny, but maybe I'm just getting soft! And another from someone who's just moved and needs a few tins of bright paint to cheer the new place up.

Really makes you think how fortunate some of us are.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freecycle and Freegle are awesome. In our area it's Freegle, as Freecycle is run from the US and it was felt that it was better to have local moderators running the group.

We've got rid of all sorts of stuff, it's much more convenient to have people pop round at an arranged time than to have to find transport to lug furniture to the tip or charity shop, plus it's great to be able to help folk out.

I've grabbed a few bits to sell on, but have always been upfront with the person who's listed them, and asked them to offer them elsewhere if they feel they'd rather I didn't profit from them.

We've also got a lovely sideboard and a well stocked tropical fishtank, as well as a couple of mattresses from some kind Freeglers.

Get stuck in, it's great! You've nothing to lose but your junk, and you'll be amazed how many folk are keen to help you out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, debonair.

I think it's a great idea, I don't know why I'd never thought of it before. As you say, it's easier getting people to come to you, than lugging things to charity shops, especially when the items are large or heavy.

I'm quite excited about someone making use of things that still work and are useful, but that I no longer have use for myself.
  • Options
    KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've used our local one a number of times. Got rid of a load of topsoil when we dug out the foundation for our drive. It would of taken ages to take it all to the tip. Also got rid of our massive old and heavy tv.

Got from other people a hamster cage, a scanner, a load of old vinyl record for a craft for my Guides.

It annoys me when people are really cheeky with their wanted requests. I've seen people requesting cars and laptops no more than a couple of years old, also specific models of brand new mobiles.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Free-cycle quite a lot, both for giving and requesting, I'm registered with 5 local groups.
    I give quite a lot of scrap timber away for people to use in wood burners.

The largest 'gift' I received was a twin axle horse box, I cut the body off, weighed that in and got £100 and made a flat bed trailer out of the base.
    :D
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am thinking of doing this, my sister recently passed away and I have to clear her flat, lots of stuff have already gone to charity , kind friends have taken them to the shop for me (I dont drive) *Sense* took the sofas last week but I still have lots of crockery,bakeware and stuff, kettle, toaster etc, have to get it cleared asap. So this sounds a good idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people do take stuff to sell on but I came to the conclusion that I didn't care as I still got rid of my stuff for free. Getting the council to take it away costs a fortune and that was the other option. I got rid of three very old bikes on Freecycle. Guy was obviously going to do them up and sell them but that was fine by me.

For the other things I tried and think I succeeded in choosing someone who wanted the things for themselves but you can never really be sure. I don't believe some of the sob stories so it's difficult to make a decision but in the end I get rid of stuff so I don't really care.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Love freecycle, I've given out a single mattress (went to a wee girl down the road I believe) and I've received 4 demi-johns (we took the kind giver a bottle of wine as thank you and he threw in some air-locks and bungs).
  • Options
    rifleman19rifleman19 Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found out about Free Cycle back in the Summer, We moved to our current address about 18 months ago and down the bottom of the garden was this big old very heavy porcelain kitchen sink. It was so heavy it took 3 people just to lift it, I kept thinking about taking it do the dump but never got around to it,

One day a friend came round and said, Some people like to use those as garden planters why don't you try and sell it?

To be honest i couldn't be botherd to advertise it so after another friend mentioned Free Cycle i stuck it on there and i couldn't believe how many people were after it there were loads,

To try and be fair i got back to the people who were after it in the order they contacted me but with all things you seem to advertise you get the no shows, It beats me why people say they want something then don't turn up, We still got rid the same day and since then have also got rid of a few other things we didn't want,

Some people do seem to ask for some outlandish things as well, During the Summer one guy was asking for a 8 foot swimming pool for his kids, Plus i have seen people after Laptops, LCD and plasma TV's and mobile phones!!
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We use our local freegle a lot. Last weekend I offered my son's old desktop computer and had so many requests for it, I ended up having to put all the emails into a hat - but I didn't put in the one where the woman stated she only wanted it if the monitor was flatscreen, it had Windows 7 and Microsoft Office, a keyboard and mouse, was in full working order, and we could deliver because she wasn't able to collect:eek:

There was also a 'wanted' from a woman whose son was setting up home and she "didn't want to be cheeky but he wanted a dark brown leather settee, a flat screen TV and a Ikea furniture in good condition only, thank you very much". I wonder if she got much response to that?
  • Options
    chuzhuchichechuzhuchiche Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I've used freecycle for several years and have got rid of lots of stuff (with more to come...).

I do think there are people there who respond to anything they think might be of value and try to hoover it up for car boot sales and whatnot.

What I would advise is to simply take your time about making a decision to whom you will offer your items. In my local group there seems to be a group of people who will respond almost immediately to something of value but then you will not hear from these people if you offer something that is not saleable (e.g. I got rid of some broken crockery - someone took it for a craft/garden project). Often (and this is anecdotal) the ones who are hoovering up stuff to sell on seem to respond very quickly using an iphone or Blackberry and want you to contact them by mobile. I state that I prefer to correspond by email and then see what people write in their messages before I decide to whom I will offer the item. I also try to explain that's what I will do when I post an item so people know not to expect an immediate response. Often you might get later responses that seem more worthy or deserving (for example I had one person who took an item for a Scout Troop but this person was not the first respondent, I just felt they were more genuine and often these people are more grateful and more reliable about collecting).

Obviously you may simply wish to get rid of your items and not worry about someone making some money from them but I have found that people who I suspect to be doing that are not as reliable for collecting as those who genuinely want something for themselves.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use freecycle frequently for disposing and recieving items.

There are automated scripts out there that monitor the posts and automatically reply to keywords. So be wary of those. If its a popular item then I tend to wait till next day, especially as some people can't get to their PC until the evening.

Also you can request that people not sell things on if you want, though there is no way of checking. Some people don't care about it and there are posts saying items for car boot sale so they obviously don't care.

One of my biggest bug bears is people not turning up to collect and its annoying, it happens a lot so be wary of that.

And yes there are the crazys out there asking for plasma TV and modern laptops etc. Maybe if you live in a really wealthy area that might happen but not round here.

Also be careful that some of the more valuable ads are scams and if you reply they will post a web link to something similiar. Its easy enough to ignore.

Overall, like all things charitable its works on the honesty of people and a majority of people are fine. But there are the minority of scum and leeches on there as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have used Freecycle in the past. I did find that it was best to wait a day having posted an item on offer to see what responses came in.
    There were definitely a core of users who seemed to lay a claim on virtually everything, and usually with a pretty abrupt and rude "I will take that" email, no please, no why they would like it, no nothing!. I tended to prefer to give to people with a genuine need for a item.
    I left Freecycle when people started asking for laptops, flatscreen TVs and the like! It seemed to me that some were really stretching the bounds of what the service was for.
    I was also getting emails asking for items that I had listed, and had detailed as taken some 2 years previously! That really got annoying.

It is a good idea, and for those who use it as intended, it does a lot of good, for the environment, for communities and for individuals who are really in need. It's just a shame that a few people have spoiled it a bit.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was having a major sort out last year, Freecycle was a god send. Most people are genuine but you will come across the odd one that is up to no good and feeding on peoples generosity.
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know my MIL used it a lot when my SIL got pregnant. She used to make up all her sob stories though just to make sure she got first dibs on things so I would be wary about falling for any of them. She did get a lot of stuff that she would normally have paid a fortune for like baby bath, moses basket, toys, books, clothes, a changing table etc etc.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Have used it a few times to get rid of stuff - and got some craft items once.

Worst thing is when people don't turn up when they say they will or constantly changing when they will come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

Also be careful that some of the more valuable ads are scams and if you reply they will post a web link to something similiar. Its easy enough to ignore.

I found this out when my daughter replied to an ad for some GHD hair straighteners - she got sent a chatty email saying the straighteners had been taken but there were cheap ones available on this website, link provided. The same thing happened to a friend who replied to an ad for a PS3. Freegle immediately blocked the people responsible once they were informed.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used it once and never again. I was bmombarded with 'begging' emails, some of them pretty scary. And they will know where you live... Maybe as it was a high value item (over £300 worth of lawnmower - one of those big, industrial petrol ones).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Used it once and never again. I was bmombarded with 'begging' emails, some of them pretty scary. And they will know where you live... Maybe as it was a high value item (over £300 worth of lawnmower - one of those big, industrial petrol ones).

I am just wondering, how would they know where you live ?
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Becuase they need the address to come and collect the item!

I've used Freecycle a good few times and its great - I gave away two fridge freezers which were a bit too shabby for Ebay but still functioned fine - they went to grateful homes where previously there were none. :) Have also given away a buggy, baby changing mat, guinea pig cages, a fish tank, a magnetic aquarium glass cleaner and some aquarium odds and ends - other stuff too I can't remember right now.

I've never asked for anything yet - when I do, I won't be titling the request as 'WANTED' - it just seems a bit demanding! :eek: I think I will say 'REQUESTED' :p
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I am a firm believer in if you give away, you will be given back (not the same thing though :D )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »

OK, I would have thought that you would have avoided giving out your address to the crazies.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    I am just wondering, how would they know where you live ?

The 'winner' had to come pick the item up! So between all the head-the-balls, I had to assess which one seemed:

(a) genuine - there were a LOT of sob stories - and
    (b) was someone I'd be happy to give my address to.

No mean feat from a stack of emails from strangers.

In the end, I chose a man who wanted it for his elderly parents in the next village.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »

I've used Freecycle a good few times and its great - I gave away two fridge freezers which were a bit too shabby for Ebay but still functioned fine - they went to grateful homes where previously there were none. :) Have also given away a buggy, baby changing mat, guinea pig cages, a fish tank, a magnetic aquarium glass cleaner and some aquarium odds and ends - other stuff too I can't remember right now.

I've never asked for anything yet - when I do, I won't be titling the request as 'WANTED' - it just seems a bit demanding! :eek: I think I will say 'REQUESTED' :p
    I don't like the wanted ads, I've never requested anything myself. I'd quite like a flat screen TV and a Blu Ray player though:D

There's one on ours today that says "Wanted laptop or network in working order" and underneath it says "if anyone has a modern laptop or netbook, in good working order, I would like it" I wonder if he/she will get any replies? And someone recently requested a caravan.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks to everyone for all your replies and advice, some great tips there, which I will bear in mind when I advertise my 'giveaways'. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the wanted ads, I've never requested anything myself. I'd quite like a flat screen TV and a Blu Ray player though:D

I don't have an issue with the wanted ads as long as they are sensible. Sometimes I think,I have that squired away in the attic or garden shed that I no longer need.

I have asked for a few odd things, rabbit hutch, couples of meters of mains cable, etc