Cat Dental Treatment

big_ballsbig_balls Posts: 66
Forum Member
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can advise. I took my cat to the vets last week for his annual injections and health check and was told that there is a hole in his tooth and it needs removing.

The vet has given me a rough quote of £260!! This seems quite a lot to remove just 1 tooth? The vet said it was costing more than normal due to his weight, he is a big cat and weighs 6kg.

Does the price I have been quoted seem reasonable or is it too high?

Comments

• MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    It is a high price but dentals are expensive. My Bernard was booked in for a dental last year - he basically needed a clean - and I was quoted £200 but it would have been more if he needed any further work done. The locum vet booked him in at the time of his annual boosters but when I took him to the 'resident' vet on the morning of the procedure she wouldn't put him under anaesthetic on account of his weight (far too risky she said) and she managed to give him a manual clean instead.

I agree these prices can be really shocking but the vets don't seem to think so :rolleyes:

My late Tabitha had a dental when she was about 4 and I paid £90. Two years later when the private vet had sold his practice to a large chain, the price was doubled.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,131
    Forum Member
    I have no idea what the cat's weight has to do with the cost, but my 4.5k female cat had dental work on Monday - two extractions (one had an absess) plus a scale, and it cost £186.

But if your vet charges £260, you can't really negotiate a lower price. Bear in mind as well as the vet's time the procedure involves a general anaesthetic, possibly blood tests (advisable), IV fluids, antibiotics and pain relief - my cat had the lot.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Lippincote;51102757]I have no idea what the cat's weight has to do with the cost, but my 4.5k female cat had dental work on Monday - two extractions (one had an absess) plus a scale, and it cost £186.

But if your vet charges £260, you can't really negotiate a lower price. Bear in mind as well as the vet's time the procedure involves a general anaesthetic, possibly blood tests (advisable), IV fluids, antibiotics and pain relief - my cat had the lot.[/QUOTE]

It would be to do with any medications, GA and fluids. The heavier the cat, the more medication iyswim.

OP - you can ask for a breakdown of the costs, and that should give you a better idea of what is being spent where.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    The locum vet who booked my cat for a dental did tell me it would be cheaper if I 'shopped around' - he obviously worked in different surgeries so knew that costs vary greatly. However, I like to stick with the same vet practice where the vets know my cats and their histories.

You could probably get a few different quotes if you have other vet surgeries nearby. Prices in London and the south are probably a lot higher that elsewhere in the country and I notice you are in Surrey. My vet is in Harrow (I live on the borders of London and Herts).
  • big_ballsbig_balls Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone, seems that it is about right then.

Just wanted to check as I don't have much experience with these things as he is the first cat I have owned.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,131
    Forum Member
    ejm wrote: »
    It would be to do with any medications, GA and fluids. The heavier the cat, the more medication iyswim.

OP - you can ask for a breakdown of the costs, and that should give you a better idea of what is being spent where.

Yes I do see what you mean.:) I just wouldn't have thought the OP's cat was that big for the vet to mention it, he's not exactly a great dane:D

Hope the surgery goes well OP - have some nice soft food ready for him afterwards, no biscuits for a few days.
  • big_ballsbig_balls Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Thanks Lippincote, the vet made me feel really bad about his weight, but he isn't a 'fat' cat at all, looks pretty normal size to me.

He is back in a couple of weeks for his follow up injections and I will be booking his operation then, I feel quite anxious about it all really.