Options

Somebody get the judges a scriptwriter

KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So much silence, spluttering for something to say. Say what you will about X Factor's scripting (Kelly's "g-father" slip up comes to mind) you can't deny their comments are much more entertaining.

Comments

• Options
    ShellmanShellman Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup, it's so awkward.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno, I prefer that it is more natural. X Factor just seemed to scripted and I dont think that would suit The Voice.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that they feel like they have to comment specifically on the vocals and so they feel the need to put together a detailed and specific review. Often they fail to do so in time.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They need a better host. Someone to banter with the judges and draw them out.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer it because it isn't scripted.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think the difference is the audience

during X factor, the audience cheer and boo and there is an atmosphere during the comments

On this, the audience are pretty silent during whats been said...so when will is spluttering on at his slow pace, it feels like getting blood from a stone
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Agreed. The judges are actually awful and cringe worthy. Jessie J has been particularly annoying - the show is even called THE VOICE. Yet she is complaining about the dancing... isn't the whole point of The Voice to be judged purely on the *voice*?
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do need a script writer as Jessie J isn't really um, you know um, like you know when you are in a film and you know um....

You know what I mean?

Um....
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like that it's not scripted, but the old talent show cliches still creep in: "you made it your own", "you gave it your own twist".

I quite like will.i.am's bumbling comments, they seem genuine in spite of them being incomprehensible at times :p

I do agree that a better host would help to eke out some of the comments, though.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Instead, they've got...Holly!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmmmm yer mmm it would be better if they mmmm had something mmm to work with mmm after all mmm it would be mmm less ragged out
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most contoversial thing anyone said tonight was `people with curly hair are best`. Steady on, we don`t want to offend anyone.
  • Options
    marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Senium wrote: »
    Agreed. The judges are actually awful and cringe worthy. Jessie J has been particularly annoying - the show is even called THE VOICE. Yet she is complaining about the dancing... isn't the whole point of The Voice to be judged purely on the *voice*?

Yes, and that's why she (and I) have an issue with crowding out the singers with dancers.

Of course, a rounded performer needs to have stage presence and character, they should not simply stand there like a leaf of limp lettuce.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hitnmix wrote: »
    mmmmm yer mmm it would be better if they mmmm had something mmm to work with mmm after all mmm it would be mmm less ragged out

Mmm.:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give me people searching for words, offering genuine critiques based on the vocal they have just heard over rehearsed, pre written sound bites that actually don't bare any relation to the performance at all!!

Script writing the Coaches comments negates the point of the performances being live! Why bother having a live show if the coaches have their comments and opinions written for them before the singer has even opened their mouth?? How can that be a true critique of a performance??
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    I dunno, I prefer that it is more natural. X Factor just seemed to scripted and I dont think that would suit The Voice.

I agree with you. It's the one bit of the show that I think IS working. They're replies are obviously not scripted and that's a good thing.

I do think they need to work a bit on the "you made it your own" and the going on about flipping of a song but I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for what Will has to say and he usually doesn't disappoint. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perdita_x wrote: »
    Give me people searching for words, offering genuine critiques based on the vocal they have just heard over rehearsed, pre written sound bites that actually don't bare any relation to the performance at all!!

Script writing the Coaches comments negates the point of the performances being live! Why bother having a live show if the coaches have their comments and opinions written for them before the singer has even opened their mouth?? How can that be a true critique of a performance??

Couldn't have put it better myself!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree on the script writing not being a good for the show but also having knock knock jokes, name dropping and moaning about dancers are not very good comments about the vocals of the acts

So after all that we still need something to be done as its not working.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree on the script writing not being a good for the show but also having knock knock jokes, name dropping and moaning about dancers are not very good comments about the vocals of the acts

I disagree. The coaches are offering genuine opinion in the words that they think of that come out of their mouth - however occasionally cringey that may make a few people, it is absolutely preferential to a scripted comment that offers a pre vetted, pre approved opinion of the persona on stage rather than the performance of the singer.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kingsy wrote: »
    So much silence, spluttering for something to say. Say what you will about X Factor's scripting (Kelly's "g-father" slip up comes to mind) you can't deny their comments are much more entertaining.

Yeah, all those incessant repeats of "you look like a pop star, you sound like a pop star," "you owned that stage," and "that was reet oop ma street," along with the obligatory "I didn't like that....I LOVED it!" are far more entertaining.

Add to that the fact that the mentor's are pathologically incapable of telling their own acts they were crap when they were so obviously crap.

Then, when they can't think of anything to say, they just go "listen to that noise. Yeeeaaaahhh!"

Say what you will about The Voice's panel, but X Factor is hardly a beacon of quality judging. 90% of all comments are a complete waste of time.
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please do not speak on my behalf. I disagree with all your comments. I'm happy with the coaches, I like the spontaneity of their comments, I think they're funny (some people don't get Will's sense of humour but that's their loss) and Jessie is entitled to her opinions about dancers, in fact I agreed with her. I hope they all come back next year and no, I certainly don't want it scripted.
  • Options
    -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    The judges comments are one of the best parts of the show for me on The Voice (mainly because of Will), whereas that was never the case on X Factor.
    Scripting it would be one of the worst things they could do.
  • Options
    BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't have to be scripted but they are running into problems because there's only so many ways you can say someone is amazing, timeless, better than Elvis. It may not be scripted but it all comes across as cliched and insincere. And when they are faced with a suicidial performance like Ruth's they didn't know what to do, it all gets very awkward.

Also Holly needs to stop them rambling on as much. What their coach says before a performance in the VT is basically the same as what they all say after. It seems to go on for ages, with the actual performance over in seconds. 20 minutes singing in a 90 minute show with no adverts? What?

I find myself tuning out as soon as any of the coaches speak because you know what they are going to say each time, and it might as well be about any of the contestants not the one they are speaking to. It all blurs into one.

Let performances define the contestants, not endless VT's and coaches rambling on about nothing.
  • Options
    lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

XF has always used Script writing for judges, thats someone can sound very bad but yet the judges say how good theyare.

the voice is much better for not having them.