Options

Chinese hackers tried to hack my Emails

razdan1974razdan1974 Posts: 268
Forum Member
I got an email received from Google stating that somebody tried to hack into my account, but failed. I've checked it with Google and Google has sent that email, so it's not someone pretending. Interesting to know whether anyone has got this email below:

Hi ####,

Someone recently tried to use an application to sign in to your Google Account - ##########.

We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Monday, 4 March 2013 11:49:34 o'clock UTC
IP Address: 124.78.244.230

If you do not recognise this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately.

Reset password

If this was you and you are having trouble accessing your account, complete the troubleshooting steps listed at http://support.google.com/mail?p=client_login

Yours sincerely,
The Google Accounts team

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    You are sure the email isn't a scam, right?

Silly you, if it is and you clicked its link... :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Silly you, you should first read my question, which stated "I've checked it with Google and Google has sent that email, so it's not someone pretending"

Please read, before you reply !!:p
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    razdan1974 wrote: »
    Silly you, you should first read my question, which stated "I've checked it with Google and Google has sent that email, so it's not someone pretending"

How did you check with Google?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    razdan1974 wrote: »

I did say "if", didn't you notice that? ;)

But to answer the rest of your question now I've read it all, yes I had an email like that last year and it too was genuine, though I don't think they quoted an IP address or the geo location. Good for google (though it isn't rocket science to do that for any Chinese IP address!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    How did you check with Google?

I have a secondary account, where that email was also sent to. Plus they texted me, which someone pretending to be Google, would not be able to do.

Hence why it was definitely from google. Also Google advised me to change the password, which I did through my own account and an email plus texted message was sent to me, when I changed my password.