Sky+ App for PC

sjj1805sjj1805 Posts: 201
Forum Member
Viewing this link Sky+ App for iPhone reminded me that there is something missing.
I have started a new thread so as not to hijack the one above.
Currently you can control your Sky+ box with an iPad / iPhone / Android device. Isn't it about time we could do the same from a laptop/desktop PC?

Comments

• NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjj1805 wrote: »
    Viewing this link Sky+ App for iPhone reminded me that there is something missing.
    I have started a new thread so as not to hijack the one above.
    Currently you can control your Sky+ box with an iPad / iPhone / Android device. Isn't it about time we could do the same from a laptop/desktop PC?

Sky created a working Sky+ app for computers about a year ago, there was a program you had to install to use it but the app was actually a webpage.

It wasn't actually released to the public but the URL was live and was discovered by someone, about 2 days after the URL was posted on Skyuser the URL was changed to redirect to the online Tvguide.

There's been no sign of it since so I assume its been abandond, it was quite unreliable during the limited time it was available. But it would be great if they released one.
  • KodiakKodiak Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I do not know if this is the site below is the one you are talking about or not. You can set a programme to record from page and I find it quite useful.

http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/day/0
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kodiak wrote: »
    I do not know if this is the site below is the one you are talking about or not. You can set a programme to record from page and I find it quite useful.

http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/day/0

Nope, the online Tvguide where you can set remote recordings is a completely different thing to what I was talking about.

It was a web app that allowed you to search for Sky+HD boxes on your local network, connect to them and access the planner like you can with the Sky+ app. You could also control the box, ie select an item and play it on the tv just like the Sky+ app.

It was available at the address http://tv.sky.com/planner/ however that now just redirects to the online Tvguide as the app wasn't suppose to be released.

You can view the thread on SkyUser about it here:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-hd-supertelly/49993-super-planner.html
  • shoppingqueenshoppingqueen Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    it is strange it is missing and would be so much easier as a webpage than making an app for different devices with different screen sizes!

I remember that web app that suddenly disappeared!
    Maybe there was a fault or security problem with it, but it is surprising there currently isn't a way of getting into your box controls and planner from a website!
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I've still got the software on my computer.
    It was called "Sky Guide Connect".
    Now it just goes to http://tv.sky.com/planner, a page that now does not exist.
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use an app player like Bluestacks: http://www.bluestacks.com/app-player.html
    It lets you play Android apps on a Windows PC. I've only used it for games, but I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to use the Android Sky+ app on it.
  • StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else share my problem? I have TWO Sky accounts - one for home, one for my motorcaravan. Sky's accounting system apparently can't cope with this, and it's a nightmare coping with the multiple passwords involved in doing the simplest tasks (like contributing to the Sky forums, SkyID, Sky+ recording, VoD etc) and the more complex (like getting a re-pairing signal sent for either one of the boxes). The Sky telephone support asks for postcode, and immediately ties that to whichever account comes up first on their system... and persuading them that it's the OTHER account I want them to deal with is incredibly difficult.

It's surprising that a company like Sky can't cope with this... and incredibly frustrating that I can't use the online re-pair-the-box routine.

I COULD have bluffed my way through using a cheaper multiroom subscription for the 2nd box, connecting it to my home phone when necessary, but I happen to be honest. Perhaps Sky assumes that all its customers are crooked. And honest customers have to suffer serious inconvenience as a result.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else share my problem? I have TWO Sky accounts - one for home, one for my motorcaravan. Sky's accounting system apparently can't cope with this, and it's a nightmare coping with the multiple passwords involved in doing the simplest tasks (like contributing to the Sky forums, SkyID, Sky+ recording, VoD etc) and the more complex (like getting a re-pairing signal sent for either one of the boxes). The Sky telephone support asks for postcode, and immediately ties that to whichever account comes up first on their system... and persuading them that it's the OTHER account I want them to deal with is incredibly difficult.

It's surprising that a company like Sky can't cope with this... and incredibly frustrating that I can't use the online re-pair-the-box routine.

I COULD have bluffed my way through using a cheaper multiroom subscription for the 2nd box, connecting it to my home phone when necessary, but I happen to be honest. Perhaps Sky assumes that all its customers are crooked. And honest customers have to suffer serious inconvenience as a result.

The problem is because you have 2 accounts at the same address, which Sky do not normally allow, when you ring up, and advise your name and postcode, how is the system supposed to work out which account you are talking about, it will just pick the first one that matches.

Maybe you should re-regsiter one account at a different address, if possible.
  • StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is because you have 2 accounts at the same address, which Sky do not normally allow, when you ring up, and advise your name and postcode, how is the system supposed to work out which account you are talking about, it will just pick the first one that matches.

That's like saying I am only allowed to have one motor car registered to my address, and on which I must pay Road Tax. Why? Does Sky really not want me to have 2 full-paying accounts, each of which is individually controlled?

Probably what I should do is cancel my 2nd £60-odd a month account and go for multiroom, now that I no longer need to have a phone connected to each (correct?).

Sky loses, I gain. OK...but I'm surprised at Sky's apparent willingness to say goodbye to revenue. I've never known Sky to give a consumer an easy route to reduce the Sky bill while maintaining (or even increasing) what the consumer receives.

I WOULD like to retain independent control of each of my Sky boxes for Sky+ apps etc... but if I can sacrifice that and gain £60/month, great.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

No it wont. It will show the address has 2 accounts and you choose whichever one is the one the person is ringing about. IE: using the account number.

I used to work for sky and loads of people had 2 accounts for holiday homes registered to the same address.

The way sky's system is set up though, allows these silly issues to happen. The best way is to ditch one sub and just take the box and card with you when you go to your holiday home. Saves hassle.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I WOULD like to retain independent control of each of my Sky boxes for Sky+ apps etc... but if I can sacrifice that and gain £60/month, great.

Thats simple, once you have your multiroom setup, you have your main login for the main box, you can then activate another login to your mysky account, and link that to your other viewing card, quite simple.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To me it seems the simple answer is to change the address of one of your accounts. Say for example, you live at 34 London Road you could change your other account's address to 34A London Road (assuming of course there is no 34A already).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    linea wrote: »
    Use an app player like Bluestacks: http://www.bluestacks.com/app-player.html
    It lets you play Android apps on a Windows PC. I've only used it for games, but I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to use the Android Sky+ app on it.

Hi,
    Just installed this simulator and the Sky+ app and it looks like it works but need to wait until at home to connect to the Sky box.

Thanks for this information.