Options

Bbc to show bnp party broadcast on Tuesday

Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5218732

What are the bbc playing at giving these netherandals airtime ? . Not to mention the Lee Rigby references are extremely upsetting and distressing for his family . Just absolutely vile I hope the bbc see sense and don't show it.

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Free speech.

I don't agree with anything they say but they do have a right to say it. Look on the bright side, it will show the world just how backwards the BNP are.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I dislike them, we have to always bear in mind that this is a democracy.

Better to give them enough rope to hang themselves with, than increase the sympathy vote by squashing their desire to talk horseshite.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What are the bbc playing at giving these netherandals airtime ? . Not to mention the Lee Rigby references are extremely upsetting and distressing for his family . Just absolutely vile I hope the bbc see sense and don't show it.

Good, let them remind many people just how vile they really are. Denying such groups air time (which I don't think you can do anyway if they have elected reps ) gives them more mystique which is more dangerous than giving them airtime.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They have some MEPs, so legally broadcasters have to give them airtime during run-up to the Euro elections.

It's nothing to do with the BBC.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the other parties are allowed to spout their lies and crap, why not the BNP? We're supposed to have free speech and they've as much right to a broadcast as any other party, just as I've the right to not bother watching any of them and finding something more interesting to do like paint a wall and watch it dry.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have a right to be heard. And if it WASN'T broadcast, it'd just be more fuel for Griffin's paranoia, except they'd actually be correct in saying they were being denied a voice.

By the sounds of it they may have to edit it to avoid breaking existing rules, though.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very surprised at the BBC allowing Griffin to do his party's political broadcast on their channel.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have some MEPs, so legally broadcasters have to give them airtime during run-up to the Euro elections.

It's nothing to do with the BBC.

I didn't click on the link but I thought that would be the reason.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, so it's against the law to refuse any party that has MEPs to do a political broadcast on their channel. Hopefully a lot in Britain will see just how vile Griffin is when he starts making sly digs towards non-whites.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Very surprised at the BBC allowing Griffin to do his party's political broadcast on their channel.

If they didn't they'd be breaking the rules. I don't suppose the BBC want to show any party political broadcast, but thems the rules.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    This will be a must watch political broadcast for a change.don't listen to the lies the media says about the BNP.watch,and make up your own mind.you will see that the BNP is the only party that gives a damn about the British people.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Democracy.

Anjem Choudary is allowed to spout his repulsive bullshit on the BBC.

It's swings and roundabouts.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, so it's against the law to refuse any party that has MEPs to do a political broadcast on their channel. Hopefully a lot in Britain will see just how vile Griffin is when he starts making sly digs towards non-whites.

Exactly. That's the great thing about free speech and why it should always be encouraged and never curtailed. Much better to be able to see the nutters than have them hiding underground.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will be a must watch political broadcast for a change.don't listen to the lies the media says about the BNP.watch,and make up your own mind.you will see that the BNP is the only party that gives a damn about the British people.

That role in Cross Of Iron really affected you, didn't it?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they'll prove this adage:
    It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt,
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Ah, so it's against the law to refuse any party that has MEPs to do a political broadcast on their channel.
    Each 'major party' (where 'major party' is defined by some formula based on number of MPs/MEPs, percentage of vote in the last election, etc) is allocated a certain amount of time for party broadcasts, which the major broadcasters are required to carry.

The BBC can't refuse to carry it, but neither can the BNP demand that the BBC carry more broadcasts than the rules allow. They get their allocation like any other party.
  • Options
    Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    That role in Cross Of Iron really affected you, didn't it?

:D:D:D
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it is as much to do with having MP's/MEP's but more to do with how many candidates you are running.
    I remember the Natural Law Party having a PPB and they never had any MP's.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Bbc to show bnp party broadcast on Tuesday

One party political broadcast won't save the neo-Nazi racists led by the bloatbag Nick 'more repulsive than Baron Vladimir Harkonnen' Griffin. They got 2 MEPs in the 2009 Euro elections and this year they are set for a complete wipeout according to the opinion polls which is welcome news indeed. :)
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I shall remember to avoid this one like I do the rest.

Didn't expect a Dune reference.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fkn bbc no surprise...they are toast but still try their stupid little games
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member

Channel 5 actually refused to show a BNP party political broadcast in 2004:

http://www.bectu.org.uk/news/gen/ng0208.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3757641.stm
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    BNP ? Are they still going?
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching one from 1996. It showed East End markets with ethnic minorities working and they tried to make out that these people had only just arrived and stolen jobs. Nevertheless, they would not have just arrived as they were British nationals who had been here working for years. The BNP just used those images to create fear.
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member

No. It's usually better to let parties like the BNP have their say so they can be challenged and people can see what this party is really like. Censorship usually only helps those being censored. The BNP are not a serious threat.