LGBT - Would you ever visit the Middle East/Africa?

As a gay guy I find it really distasteful when other gay people visit countries that persecute their own LGBT people.

I know there's a few 'gay friendly' countries in those regions, such as South Africa and Israel, but on a whole they are horrendous for their human rights concerning LGBT people.

My own "best friend" recently spent her honeymoon in Dubai which left a sour taste in my mouth too.

Do other gay DSers ever feel the same?

Comments

• AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I wouldn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cape Town has a big international gay scene. (I know you did single out South Africa, but I'm just adding that detail.)
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually visited Jamaica, to see my roots, but I found it pretty hard going. I don't think I'd want to visit another place that persecutes people.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The answer is no. I have no desire to visit them.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually visited Jamaica, to see my roots, but I found it pretty hard going. I don't think I'd want to visit another place that persecutes people.

There was a programme on Jamaica's gay community the other week. Some were pushed so far to the margins that they were living in drainage tunnels. There was a whole community of gay people living in these tunnels.

At the time of filming the police were even trying to kick them out of there. The 'lady' mayor even came down to tell them how much they weren't wanted in the area.

There was even some locals that came down to throw rocks at them (regular occurrence apparently). When the police turned up they tried to make out it was the gay people throwing the rocks.

ETA: This was the documentary http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/feature/a573003/jamaicas-gay-community-are-living-with-rats-c4-reveals-shocking-truth.html#~oGLJa58FPoq1Yl
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    No i wouldn't. I also don't donate to any charity set up to help such countries. Personally I prefer to donate my money to countries and people just as much in need who wouldn't happily persecute me just for being gay.

And yes, that includes Comic Relief.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Never had any desire to visit those countries or India or Australia - but not for reasons associated with the OP .
  • dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been to jamaica, and south africa this year. And regularly visit UAE and other gulf states. Must say I havent noticed any persecution when I was there.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been to jamaica, and south africa this year. And regularly visit UAE and other gulf states. Must say I havent noticed any persecution when I was there.

Well unless you're front of the line for the beheadings, shootings and general killings I doubt you'll have noticed...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    No i wouldn't. I also don't donate to any charity set up to help such countries. Personally I prefer to donate my money to countries and people just as much in need who wouldn't happily persecute me just for being gay.

And yes, that includes Comic Relief.

Amnesty is a good call, since they actively campaign to support LGBT people in places like Uganda.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've been to Egypt. The key is not to flaunt your lifestyle in strange and foreign cultures - in the same way you wouldn't walk down a Brixton back-alley with your flashy Rolex on display and cash spilling out of your suit pocket.

I love travelling and exploring new places :)
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    I will not travel to any country with a poor record on LGBT rights - whether for work or for leisure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Yes, I've been to Egypt. The key is not to flaunt your lifestyle in strange and foreign cultures - in the same way you wouldn't walk down a Brixton back-alley with your flashy Rolex on display and cash spilling out of your suit pocket.

This is wise advice. Its good to travel to broaden ones horizons.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I would no more go on holiday to a country that criminalised LGBT people than I would go to South Africa during apartheid.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I have a list a mile long of places I don't visit or buy their goods from.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind LGBT people, atheists wouldn't be tolerated in a lot of those countries either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind LGBT people, atheists wouldn't be tolerated in a lot of those countries either.

Exactly. I travel alot. If I only chose to visit/deal with countries that fitted exactly what I percieve as correct protocols then I wouldnt leave britain lol. When travelling you just have to be humble to the local culture and discreet if induldging in western pursuits that are not in fitting with your host nations values, and not project an attitude of this is how things should be done. There are lots of wonderful things to see in places that you may not think are to your taste
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    As a gay guy I find it really distasteful when other gay people visit countries that persecute their own LGBT people.

I know there's a few 'gay friendly' countries in those regions, such as South Africa and Israel, but on a whole they are horrendous for their human rights concerning LGBT people.

My own "best friend" recently spent her honeymoon in Dubai which left a sour taste in my mouth too.

Do other gay DSers ever feel the same?

im sorry but seeing as you wish to exclude straight people from posting I request that this moved to the gay section of the forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a chance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im sorry but seeing as you wish to exclude straight people from posting I request that this moved to the gay section of the forum.

Would you say the same when a man asks a question to the female posters or vice versa? then it excludes one gender?

No one's really excluding anyone, heterosexual members can post if they like even if it is a question directed at gay people.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    Jasper92 wrote: »

If I'm not welcome as I am then there's no way I'm going. I'm not spending my hard earned money in a place that would imprison me or worse simply for being me nor will I pretend to be something I'm not.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member

What gay section?
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **** no...
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I think BGT should visit the Middle East, as there was precious little talent from anywhere else this year.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member

Can't tell if you are being serious or not...