New Humax Freesat DVR - on demand set up

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
Forum Member
Hi,

I just bought a Humax DVR for my mother in Spain but am now reading that later in 2013 BBC and ITV services will no longer be available in southern Spain as they are moving to a new satellite which won't serve that part of the world.

I think that the DVR also supports iPlayer, 4OD etc but am struggling to find out for sure either online. I am not even sure what model I bought but this is it... http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5322453.htm

Questions are:

1. Are OnDemand services such as iPlayer. 4OD supported?
2. Does the box have wifi or is a wired connection needed?
3. Is there any way to configure a VPN on the box as iPlayer etc generally block to non UK IP addresses

thanks
Fergus

Comments

• ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that's the receiver that you bought, then you're out of luck with 4OD and Demand5, period. That Humax box is a G1 variant, which will never support 4OD and Demand5 -- it doesn't have the horsepower to run the necessary software, and now looks as if it's been discontinued -- John Lewis has stopped listing it on its website. If iPlayer and ITVPlayer do move transponders as you suggest, then you'll need to look for something net-based that can give you web access to catch-up stuff, but you'll need to sort-out a VPN or tunnel so that you can get round the UK-based access restrictions.

The box doesn't have a wireless capability, but there is a lot of third-party firmware that may help with net access and so forth.

Clem
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,508
    Forum Member
    If it has the horsepower to run BBC iPlayer and ITV Player then surely it has enough puff to run 4OD and Demand5?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    If it has the horsepower to run BBC iPlayer and ITV Player then surely it has enough puff to run 4OD and Demand5?

No support for MHEG5 on the older box.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,508
    Forum Member
    That is a different reason.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    That is a different reason.

Not really cpu hasn't the capability for MHEG5. It would depend on CH4 and 5 producing a system compatible with the Foxsat, no chance. They haven't got it working on freetime yet down to them requireing extra drm stream protection measures.
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but FreeSat is for UK only in that shows on the service do not have copy right for outside the UK.
    I would also say that Iplayers too would be blocked from outside the UK for the same reason and this is done by ISP address.....

I would also add that the channels adverts are done for the UK viewers so to get most for the companies and they would not like show how greedy in pricing they are to the UK public, then rest of Europe.....LOL
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    Sorry but FreeSat is for UK only in that shows on the service do not have copy right for outside the UK.
    I would also say that Iplayers too would be blocked from outside the UK for the same reason and this is done by ISP address.....

I would also add that the channels adverts are done for the UK viewers so to get most for the companies and they would not like show how greedy in pricing they are to the UK public, then rest of Europe.....LOL

VPN ??
  • ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's gonna be pretty much the only option as I see it. OTA access to iPlayer an ITVPlayer will go when they move satellites next year. Torrents might be another option perhaps, or wait for series to appear on DVD/blu-ray. That doesn't help with stuff like soaps and so forth though.

Clem