Options

Pioneering, brave comedy-or obnoxious?

13»

Comments

• Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like dark comedy and comedy that ignores boundaries or could be offensive, and I find this one quite sick. It ignores a boundary that shouldn't be stepped over as some things just aren't funny. Unless of course you are a teenage boy who giggles at willies and hasn't yet the intellect or life experience to get what they are actually making light of.
  • Options
    LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    They're not actually doing anything apart from larking around with a towel. I doubt a six week old baby is going to know WTF is going on.

Then why not masturbate for real in front of an innocent baby if they are oblivious to it.
    Well done to Matt Lucas for condemning this gutter filth. Really funny guy and decent too.

Frankie Boyle wouldn't do this, and if Boyle wouldn't do it then you know it's crossing the line.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a pathetic attempt to be 'edgy', really, if that's the best they can come up with. Not to mention their justification for what they've done being so pretentious.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer more intelligent comedy and this seems more like the gang of boys you always got at school who were annoying, immature attention seekers. I'm all for pushing the boundaries but only when they are being pushed in the right direction and simulating a sex act and telling someone their baby is sexy is not going to turn them into comedy legends. They have, however, managed to get attention and I guess that's what they were after.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then why not masturbate for real in front of an innocent baby if they are oblivious to it.
    Well done to Matt Lucas for condemning this gutter filth. Really funny guy and decent too.

Frankie Boyle wouldn't do this, and if Boyle wouldn't do it then you know it's crossing the line.

Cool idea. In fact, for the purposes of entertainment, people could actually be shot dead in action films, or really thrown off buildings, or asked to crash a plane into a busy street.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Well it's certainly not pioneering, since this low rent crap has been done a million times before. Brave? Yes, you'd probably need to be quite brave to make such a fool of yourself in public :p
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fully agree with Matt Lucas on this. But what on earth possessed him to write
    The social purpose of comedy, as well as being entertainment, is to push the envelope and test boundaries.

It sounds like something out of a GCSE media studies essay.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The social purpose of comedy, as well as being entertainment, is to push the envelope and test boundaries.

So postmen and cricket umpires are comedians?
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now I know how my Dad felt when he watched an episode of the Young Ones with me in 1982.

His response 'I don't get it, that's not comedy'!

Who knows, maybe they'll be comedy geniuses and this will be a classic in 20 years from now!

I doubt it though!
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So postmen and cricket umpires are comedians?

I don't think you're quite ready for an open mike session! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I don't think you're quite ready for an open mike session! :p

Aren't I? Aw, okay then!:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I think little Britain was the lowest form of wit but what do I know about comedy?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote:

There being nothing I wanted to watch on TV the other evening, I listened to Radio 4 Extra on my iPad app.

'Hancock's Half Hour', followed by 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again'.

No pushing the envelope, no testing of boundaries, but both absolutely hilarious, and over 40 years old.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Quote:

There being nothing I wanted to watch on TV the other evening, I listened to Radio 4 Extra on my iPad app.

'Hancock's Half Hour', followed by 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again'.

No pushing the envelope, no testing of boundaries, but both absolutely hilarious, and over 40 years old.

It's all down to context.

At the time, Hancock's Half Hour was boundary pushing.

50 years on it seems tame (quaint, even) but it broke a lot of ground when it first premiered.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Well it's certainly not pioneering, since this low rent crap has been done a million times before. Brave? Yes, you'd probably need to be quite brave to make such a fool of yourself in public :p

In the article they claim that it's never been done before.

I don't know if they're talking about the baby aspect to it, but if they're talking about simulating masturbation do they honestly believe that it's something that has never been done before?
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway, who started propagating the idea that the purpose of comedy should be to push boundaries?

All I'm interested in with comedy is if something makes me laugh or not.
    If it happens to push boundaries too, then that's all fine and dandy, but I don't see why its a prerequisite for comedy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard on these people but they look like a bunch ****s .
    Is this what passes for comedy nowadays :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all down to context.

At the time, Hancock's Half Hour was boundary pushing.

50 years on it seems tame (quaint, even) but it broke a lot of ground when it first premiered.

Most of the popular radio shows of the 50s and 60s were funny in ways which hadn't been tried before:

The Goon Show
    Take it from Here
    Beyond Our Ken and Round the Horne
    The Al Read Show
    A Life of Bliss (theme : "A bachelor gay am I ....")
    Educating Archie
    Just a Minute

In those days it was simply seen as an original approach, and it was far more important that they were funny.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A man who thinks a sketch featuring an old lady weeing on a supermarket floor and who starred in that tripe about an airline calling other comedy 'witless'. Oh what irony.
  • Options
    LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    Cool idea. In fact, for the purposes of entertainment, people could actually be shot dead in action films, or really thrown off buildings, or asked to crash a plane into a busy street.

Clearly you know how to write words, but do you actually know what any of them mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A man who thinks a sketch featuring an old lady weeing on a supermarket floor and who starred in that tripe about an airline calling other comedy 'witless'. Oh what irony.

Didn't see the airline sitcom, but have to agree on the old lady sketch. Can Matt explain how that is funny and pushing boundaries in a useful way?
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't see the airline sitcom, but have to agree on the old lady sketch. Can Matt explain how that is funny and pushing boundaries in a useful way?

Quite.

I'm not saying these 'dudes' were funny at all, but the majority of his own work has been witless stupidity. Such a shame as 'Rock Profiles' was genius.