Options

Glastonbury Festival 2013

GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
Forum Member
Anyone going this year? It would be first time for me, looking forward to it, whatever the weather will be.

Anything to be eye out or be careful?

Comments

• Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I'm going can't wait is my second time but first time was years back and it is much bigger now.
    This is a really good FAQ
    http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I'm too old to queue for toilets so I shan't go but will enjoy watching it on tv.
  • Options
    supergirlblibssupergirlblibs Posts: 5,038
    Forum Member
    Oh, I'm not going - not through lack of trying!! You will never be able to take everything in, but it is an amazing experience!!
  • Options
    Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love watching this with a few drams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I love watching this with a few drams.

We usually put up a tent in the garden that weekend to pretend we're there. :):o
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have anyone to go with now my children are growed up.:(
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    We usually put up a tent in the garden that weekend to pretend we're there. :):o

That is brilliant!!!
  • Options
    stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going for the second time, having gone in 2011. I cannot wait.
    Also, it's my birthday while we're there which makes it all even more exciting.
  • Options
    hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so excited! I went in 2010, and it was hot and not a cloud in the sky every day. I'm not expecting the same heatwave (although it would be lovely) I think that added to the experience. But I know it will still be incredible even if it is muddy.

My only concern is if it becomes a complete wash out i.e. tent floating away but in that event we'd probably go home.

I'm going with two "festival virgins" so I'm looking forward to them experiencing it.

I've also just got a nice bigger car so the ride down won't be like a sardine can!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is brilliant!!!

It is, avoids the traffic too, :)
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tickets always sell out too fast for me :( I'm a bit slow with things like that :D
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tickets always sell out too fast for me :( I'm a bit slow with things like that :D
    I hoping to go, don't have a ticket, but one of my friends son, there band is playing at Glastonbury, and we waiting to see if we can get back stage pass, or on to the bands guest list
  • Options
    doogie1970doogie1970 Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be there. I've been going since 1995 and this will be my 12th time!
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    roland rat wrote: »
    I hoping to go, don't have a ticket, but one of my friends son, there band is playing at Glastonbury, and we waiting to see if we can get back stage pass, or on to the bands guest list

Good luck as all passes will include photos... I think.

Will be look forward to it, as going with group of 10 people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going :)
  • Options
    Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have anyone to go with now my children are growed up.:(

Then just go by yourself then. Having no one to go with is no excuse atall not to go!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from yesterday's news

Study Finds Festivalgoers Prefer Drugs, Alcohol and Sex to Live Music

http://www.fuse.tv/2013/06/study-finds-people-who-go-to-festivals-actually-go-for-the-drugs-alcohol-and-sex
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    started going in 1979 and have not missed a year { this is my 24th glasto } but have worked there for many years and many times I have had crew backstage pass and I know if a person has a guest pass or a friend of a band they are not issued tickets -

I will not go into details but there is two normal passes that allow access to the backstage compound but that is only into the compound - you require another type of wristband to get into the real back stage area.

If its a small band many only get issued so many ' day passes ' and that may be restricted to the actual stage they are playing on - if its a main band playing the Pyramid stage then its likely that will be a 5 day pass.

A person who has a invite has to take their invite to a special box office ' with photo ID ' and proof of address as it all has to match up { they will be sent the directions by GFL }

a few years ago GFL moved guest camping and they now use the area that used to be the outdoor cinema and the next field along - only if a person has a guest 5 day pass will they be able to use that area.

if a person only has a day pass they can camp in the public area but they cant go offsite as they wont get back in.
  • Options
    GlastoGirlGlastoGirl Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Use the open air, 'long-drop' toilets, not the chemical cubicles.
    Try to spend a dawn or sunset at the stone circle, the view and atmosphere is fantastic.
    Avoid food stalls by the biggest stages, much better and cheaper food is dotted around, particularly in the Green Fields area.
    Try and watch a film on the Thursday, again the atmos is great.
    Tempting as it is, don't try to see everything. The site is vast and if it's muddy it takes a lot of effort and energy to walk across it. Enjoy what you do see to the full.
    If you fancy a wander on an afternoon, I recommend the theatre, circus and comedy tents. Such random acts of briliance to stumble across!

I missed out on tickets this year - it would have been my 8th - gutted and feeling low as it gets closer :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    from yesterday's news

http://www.fuse.tv/2013/06/study-finds-people-who-go-to-festivals-actually-go-for-the-drugs-alcohol-and-sex

Well no one's mentioned the music in this thread yet... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not there this year but spend alot of time at block9/NYC Downlow

its where it all takes place once the bands have finished :)

really depends what you are in to and who you want to see

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2013/jun/11/glastonbury-festival-2013-block-9-video
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    started going in 1979 and have not missed a year { this is my 24th glasto } but have worked there for many years and many times I have had crew backstage pass and I know if a person has a guest pass or a friend of a band they are not issued tickets -

I will not go into details but there is two normal passes that allow access to the backstage compound but that is only into the compound - you require another type of wristband to get into the real back stage area.

If its a small band many only get issued so many ' day passes ' and that may be restricted to the actual stage they are playing on - if its a main band playing the Pyramid stage then its likely that will be a 5 day pass.

A person who has a invite has to take their invite to a special box office ' with photo ID ' and proof of address as it all has to match up { they will be sent the directions by GFL }

a few years ago GFL moved guest camping and they now use the area that used to be the outdoor cinema and the next field along - only if a person has a guest 5 day pass will they be able to use that area.

if a person only has a day pass they can camp in the public area but they cant go offsite as they wont get back in.

Thanks for that information, you might want to check out my friends band, HOLY ESQUE - "St" think there playing on the bbc introduction stage, and there a very good band, with record companies closely watching them

They recently played sxsw, to which they got rave reviews

Don't know even yet if were any of us are going, as it is up to the manager, and seeing this will be there first year playing festivals, as a unsigned band, hopefully next year, they do more festivals, but as a signed band, under a record company
  • Options
    Ghost MisguidedGhost Misguided Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    from yesterday's news

they must have based that study on people going to v festival....
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    LykkieLi wrote: »

I'd be happy to help make the experience as authentic as possible by doing the following:

turning a hose onto your lawn and then churning it up with a rotavator to provide that unforgettable 'quagmire' experience;

falling drunkenly on your tent in the middle of the night;

selling you dodgy vegeburgers at £10 each;

installing a vomit and faeces-encrusted portable lavatory in your garden, complete with unconscious hippy;

playing a tape of tedious middle-class, middle-aged conversation on a continuous loop;

selling you fake hash;

and finally, stealing all your valuables.

Whaddya say?:D
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that information, you might want to check out my friends band, HOLY ESQUE - "St" think there playing on the bbc introduction stage, and there a very good band, with record companies closely watching them

They recently played sxsw, to which they got rave reviews

Don't know even yet if were any of us are going, as it is up to the manager, and seeing this will be there first year playing festivals, as a unsigned band, hopefully next year, they do more festivals, but as a signed band, under a record company

well in that case I would say you would have to be very lucky

I know Sean Taylor who has played Glastonbury at least five times in the Acoustic tent and he has five albums and I know he did not get a main guest wristband for himself - he did get a pass to access the back of the Acoustic tent but that is as far as he could go.

http://www.seantaylorsongs.com/

when you think about it if they handed out say four passes to every band member/performer who played at Glastonbury they would have to triple the size of the backstage compound.

its not like the old days where a band would fill up their van with Mates and they could drive straight in.

by the way if you are lucky to get a invite due to where the special box office is you also need a guest parking pass as you will not be able to park in the Punters carpark as its all fenced off so you cant cross over - I know people who have a 5 day guest pass but they cant get a hold of a guest parking pass so they are parking somewhere and getting a taxi to the taxi drop off point and then walking in on foot via Red Gate { there is a path down from there provided you show a letter/invite }

good luck