Options

Lady Gaga - G.U.Y Discussion Thread (Merge)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good
    Good choice, love the song, but it won't be #1. Her fun/camp songs tend to do better.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Brilliant!
    when does this get its uk TV premier, whens it on radio, when when.

if radio one have deserted her i shall scream
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    Brilliant!
    Aura101 wrote: »
    when does this get its uk TV premier, whens it on radio, when when.

if radio one have deserted her i shall scream

Friday, apparently.
  • Options
    LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Brilliant!
    The video reminds me of the old gaga before all the media attention and big record contracts. It's nice to see her happy again.
  • Options
    speedyboispeedyboi Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Poor
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    You just know the Gaga haters of DS will vote poor even if it were a masterpiece :D

But then this is, of course, neatly balanced out by all the little monsters who will vote "Brilliant!!" even if its really just a load of pretentious vomit,
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Brilliant!
    i wonder if she will get booked in for a voice uk performance :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant!
    Aura101 wrote: »
    i wonder if she will get booked in for a voice uk performance :)

I thought all the performances had already been confirmed? Could be wrong. If it's official release is in May, maybe Britain's Got Talent is on the cards?

The Voice US are soon to be starting their live shows too. I hope she promotes this heavily. Get back on Ellen, American Idol, The Voice, the late night shows.

She's pulled off a decent video and with some commitment from her and her team, she could make this a mediocre single, which is all she can hope for at the minute, I think.
  • Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!
    Interesting analysis of the GUY video done by a fan. An interesting read though I think some parts are reaching a little bit. Can't deny the detail that goes into her work and all the layers there are.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/azafar/lady-gaga-guy-video-deconstruction
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Average
    Interesting analysis of the GUY video done by a fan. An interesting read though I think some parts are reaching a little bit. Can't deny the detail that goes into her work and all the layers there are.

Problem is the only people really interested in dissecting the video like this are her fans. I think most punters aren't that interested and find the whole thing very strung out, complex & generally OTT for a music video, especially when the song underneath it all is so forgettable. It's not worth the effort. It's not entertaining like the Telephone video was for example - I'm bored.

Ultimately this video won't sell the song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!
    Tim_A wrote: »
    Problem is the only people really interested in dissecting the video like this are her fans. I think most punters aren't that interested and find the whole thing very strung out, complex & generally OTT for a music video, especially when the song underneath it all is so forgettable. It's not worth the effort. It's not entertaining like the Telephone video was for example - I'm bored.

Well that's up to them isn't it? I think there's something for everybody in the video - there's dancing, and good visuals, a storyline for those who want it, and then for the fans (who she knows will go into detail) there's the underneath the surface stuff. Obviously you have to want to go into detail, but that's each persons own decision. I personally like that she does research and puts so much imagery into her videos, as a fan I appreciate the hard work that goes into what she does. I don't think it'll save the song or the album campaign but I think it's a very good video, for a decent pop song. It's restored my faith in her as a director anyway!
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good
    Tim_A wrote: »

The lack of buzz for this song or vid outside the fandom is telling. I've not notice it garner much interest. Haven't heard it on the radio for example despite the fact that other future releases get a lot of attention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant!
    Well that's up to them isn't it? I think there's something for everybody in the video - there's dancing, and good visuals, a storyline for those who want it, and then for the fans (who she knows will go into detail) there's the underneath the surface stuff. Obviously you have to want to go into detail, but that's each persons own decision. I personally like that she does research and puts so much imagery into her videos, as a fan I appreciate the hard work that goes into what she does. I don't think it'll save the song or the album campaign but I think it's a very good video, for a decent pop song. It's restored my faith in her as a director anyway!

Oh did she direct it herself? That's pretty impressive!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!
    RaiseItUp wrote: »
    Oh did she direct it herself? That's pretty impressive!

I think so, it might have been a collaborative effort but she definitely directed it.

There's been quite a few good reviews from it, and many music magazines have acknowledged it as a return to form. In terms of getting buzz or whatever, this campaign had been a mess from the start and that's been widely covered so it's not surprising if this single doesn't do well. I'm happy with the video, and the overall reception has been really good. Whether we get an Act II or not I don't know I think it's be detrimental to a new body of work to be associated with artpop in terms of name, as people won't give it a chance. She's said she might not release it anyway.
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor
    boddism wrote: »
    The lack of buzz for this song or vid outside the fandom is telling. I've not notice it garner much interest. Haven't heard it on the radio for example despite the fact that other future releases get a lot of attention.

The release of G.U.Y. Vid got a lot of attention from media tho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor

I find that article unnecessary, ludicrous, full of reaching and mistakes (mostly when it comes to Greek mythology), but hey, it's fan attitude lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!
    Rae_Amury wrote: »
    I find that article unnecessary, ludicrous, full of reaching and mistakes (mostly when it comes to Greek mythology), but hey, it's fan attitude lol

Thanks for your friendly replies, which you've now edited I see. Just thought some people would be interested in reading it, I certainly was in the parts where Gaga herself explained bits that I hadn't heard before. Which parts are wrong? I have little knowledge of Greek mythology myself, other than Aphrodite not being Zeus' child. Some parts are definitely reaching but it's written by one person and it's their own interpretation not some sort of definitive guide to the video released by Gaga herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor
    Thanks for your friendly replies, which you've now edited I see. Just thought some people would be interested in reading it, I certainly was in the parts where Gaga herself explained bits that I hadn't heard before. Which parts are wrong? I have little knowledge of Greek mythology myself, other than Aphrodite not being Zeus' child. Some parts are definitely reaching but it's written by one person and it's their own interpretation not some sort of definitive guide to the video released by Gaga herself.

You are welcome, glad you like the edit :p

Yup, I know that some people might be interested in it, I have just said what I think of it.

About Aphrodite, there is not a definitive version of creation myths like the birth of Aphrodite, so yes, while Hesiod's version is the most widely known, there are other sources, like the Homeric Hymn to Aphrodite, Plato's Symposium or Pausanias' Description of Greece among many others. According to Homeric version, Aphrodite is Zeus' child. According to Plato or Pausanias, Aphrodite Urania (born from Uranus -foam) and Aphrodite Pandemos (daughter of Zeus and Dione) are two different deities symbolizing two forms of love (sacred and profane). Golden apple is her attribute because it's related to the Judgement of Paris and in connection to Aphrodite the apple becomes a symbol of jealousy, quarrels and fights, a cause of Trojan war (in Bible it's symbol of the original sin), and so on. See, I can do a similar article on G.U.Y. or let's say the new Katy Perry video and I am sure that I can find a lot of amazing references, twisting it a little bit here and there. It's not hard, you can find references to everything. But I won't. People should really trust more to their own imagination and knowledge while trying to interpret videos, lyrics (and art in general, high or low) no matter if it is what the artist meant. I don't like even when artists themselves make detail analyzis of their works. Good artists never do anyway, and that's for a reason. They know that they don't need to, because their works talk for themselves. It's better to leave it to your fantasy or just open to discussion and various interpretations than investing time on fan made articles explaining in great detail every scene and image, symbols or sometimes even illuminati crap, making you believe that's what you should see there without a hint of a doubt. That's why I laughed at it. But that's just me, think whatever you want.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I do love G.U.Y but it does look like she's trying to recreate the fame era with the video
  • Options
    Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!
    Gaga will be performing on The Paul O'Grady Show on April 28th! :)