The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• smudesmude Posts: 17,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that rumour has been on my mind during the last hour or so. At first I dismissed it as tittle-tattle but now I'm not so sure.
    A friend of mine was talking to Jez Green who suggested that he was advised to take a year off but wouldn't and that Lendl thought he wouldn't be good enough again to win a slam. Just rumours though.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    Nothing to cheer now :(

I have the Dutch in the World Cup. ;-)
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baffled, Murray looked on form in the previous matches. Those double faults are so painful.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they were so quick to dismiss Murray's poor performance at Queens...

I wasn't, i have been worried about Murray since he had his back surgery. I had a feeling it would seriously set him back and that looks to be the case, he's just not the same player anymore.
  • computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man how is Murray losing in straights to overhyped clowns like Grigor Dimitrov? Dude just hasn't been the same since winning Wimbledon.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    do foreign tennis players have to bow down to british royalty? dont often watch tennis was kinda surprised to see dimitrov do that

It's pretty embarrassing. I certainly wouldn't do it even as a British citizen!
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,698
    Forum Member
    Dimitrov played very well, andy not so.

No way from the start was Andy going to win that. :(
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    do foreign tennis players have to bow down to british royalty? dont often watch tennis was kinda surprised to see dimitrov do that

Depends on the royal. They scrapped it for the Duke of Kent a few years ago but I guess they still have to do it if it's Wills. I don't think foreign players have to but it would be a big breach of etiquette if they didn't.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On to the US Open then
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Ha phone is blowing up sadly, didn't bother watching last set but hard avoid result!!

Just caught Dimitrov's interview very interesting he said he noticed something off in Murray warm up. Probably Murray's worst showing here, very disappointing. Dimitrov seems a nice guy and played a great match

I don't really care at all who wins it now, but I think it'd be great for the game if either Dimitrov or Kyrgios did it. Could you really begrudge Roger an 18th slam here though in what surely is his last realistic chance?

As for Andy, he'll always be a Wimbledon champion and I'm sure he'll win one more anyway before he bows out. 2014 has been a mess really and to add insult to injury he'll have an awful seeding at USO. Plenty time off needed one would think

Still he was brilliant in week one and had a very positive French! Not there at all today but take nothing from Dimitrov, Murray would still have beaten a lot of players today
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lojen wrote: »
    Didn't have to, poor old Andy is a shadow of his former self these days.

Too early to say that. He was playing well until now. Let's see how he does in the US.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nobody should have to do it, it's bloody ridiculous in this day and age.

This tournament is so anachronistic.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    So much for Dimitrov being style over substance. ;-)

I see Novak is struggling to put away Cilic. Mother Cilic must have paid a visit to the sweet shop this morning. ;-)
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man how is Murray losing in straights to overhyped clowns like Grigor Dimitrov? Dude just hasn't been the same since winning Wimbledon.

Explain how he's a clown. Top ten, a slam semi and three titles this year. Sounds like perfect progress for an upcoming player. His time is coming.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Neither of those are the ones with the racket in their hand. If Murray can't do the business without one particular coach, then that's his issue.

I think Dimitrov deserves credit too.

Disappointing. But many congratulations to Dimitrov. He was superb today.

But at least Murray has a Wimbledon title under his belt. Last year was an historic golden moment that will never be forgotten.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,698
    Forum Member

I missed that ....... awwwww did he really bow? How cute!!

Was that when leaving the court?

Edit: I don't think there is a rule that they have to bow these days. Heard Martina say the other day that she loved that tradition and wished they still had it. Tim Henman said that his opponents used to ask him for advice as to what to do and how to bow, they were so nervous it almost gave him the first set!! :D
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Andy. :( It's a shame, but it's hard enough to win Wimbledon let alone defend it.

Yes Andy was very passive and made enough mistakes of his own, but all credit has to go Grigor, fully in control of his own game. Shame we didn't get a little strip tease at the end, but I suppose he did have to show some decorum with Royalty in town! :D

Wouldn't have been good to see Kate M slavering in desire with the future-king sat next to her, deserves an MBE I reckon for not doing it.:p
  • ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    Well.... :( What can you say? Just wasn't there for him today. The sad thing is Dimitrov didn't have to play that well- he was just steady really.

Hoping Dimitrov reaches the final now, but think Djokovic will beat him if he gets past Cilic.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at Connors sitting there, he looks like he's been let out of an old folks home for the day.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the royal. They scrapped it for the Duke of Kent a few years ago but I guess they still have to do it if it's Wills. I don't think foreign players have to but it would be a big breach of etiquette if they didn't.

A lot of the forn players say they like doing it, all part of the great tradition of this the greatest of all tennis tournaments.
  • JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    On to the US Open then

His draw will be difficult. He's current projected ranking after Wimbledon will be #9.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    It's pretty embarrassing. I certainly wouldn't do it even as a British citizen!
    Nobody is required to bow any more to any member of the royal family. Just Andy being Andy. I thought he was very good with Grigor after the match.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    37 unforced errors from Murray says it all. A rather downer performance against a player who didn't really need to play at his best.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    A bad 24 hours for Andrew Castle. His BFF Nadal went out yesterday and now Murray today.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dimitrov looks like an Action Man that didn't pass quality control. I don't get the hype over his looks.
This discussion has been closed.