Type II Diabetes

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no one is interested that Type II diabetes is curable?
    QTC13 wrote: »
    As far as I've been told, I'm type 2 diabetic and will always be diabetic. Even if I manage it by diet alone and my sugar levels lower. I'll always be diabetic, if I start eating crap again, my symptoms will return. I am by no means an expert I've only just been diagnosed.

I'm sorry it isn't curable best we can do is control it. I have been diet controlled for a year now but if I try eating sugary stuff my blood sugar leaps again.

No one I know has been able to cure themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just because it has worked in some cases doesnt mean it will work for everyone. I can't see the harm in trying ( under supervision of course) but it hasn't worked in my family so I would advise caution before anyone thinks it is a miracle cure.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well 30% were showing symptoms again after just six months, so I'm not rushing to try this out.
    I'm pretty sure such an extreme diet will have its own dangers, though more research is certainly welcome.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Well 30% were showing symptoms again after just six months, so I'm not rushing to try this out.
    I'm pretty sure such an extreme diet will have its own dangers, though more research is certainly welcome.

It is still a pretty dramatic result.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did not use their technique and now nearly seven years later I am not having any symptoms.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not use their technique and now nearly seven years later I am not having any symptoms.

Did you follow a specific diet or just generally cut out sugars/carbs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you follow a specific diet or just generally cut out sugars/carbs?

I just rigorously cut out sugar and fat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just rigorously cut out sugar and fat.

But good fats are essential to health, or do you just mean the bad uns?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad to report that my HbA1c is still fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you read this article ?

Something seems to have gone wrong with your link - ? It doesn't lead to anything about diabetes for me.

Anyhoo, gastric bypasses do seem genuinely to cure diabetes in some cases, which is part of the reason the odious Carole Malone's revolting, spiteful, ignorant article (which confuses gastric bands with gastric bypasses throughout) is so depressing. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nhs-gastric-bands-obese-type-3847255
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something seems to have gone wrong with your link - ? It doesn't lead to anything about diabetes for me.

Anyhoo, gastric bypasses do seem genuinely to cure diabetes in some cases, which is part of the reason the odious Carole Malone's revolting, spiteful, ignorant article (which confuses gastric bands with gastric bypasses throughout) is so depressing. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nhs-gastric-bands-obese-type-3847255

A gastric bypass does not cure diabetes. Type 2 diabetes can be controlled by losing weight and eating sensibly as thousands of sensible people have done. People with a gastric bypass are left with a tiny stomach so they cannot consume so much food and what they do consume should be healthy food .... That's what they agree when they sign up for the op.

But there's a big BUT.;-). After the honeymoon period when the weight drops off many, many people regain some or all the weight because they then start eating chocolate, high calorie drinks and quickly learn that although they might not be able to eat, say, a whole portion of chips in one go like they used to, if they leave them sitting around all evening and nibble a few more here and there, they can still consume the lot. The weight goes on again. I know 3 people this has happened to and it was a total waste of NHS money because they had no intention of changing their eating habits after the op.

I see nothing wrong with Carole Malones article TBH. She is also correct in saying that people will scoff food like mad and fatten themselves even more so they meet the NICE targets. Crazy but true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here is the intended link on diabetes
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its factually incorrect in places, such as the claim obesity is Britain's biggest killer and getting the operations mixed up, so I think ignorant may be fair but I'm not sure how its spiteful and/or revolting. The argument that people get fat because they eat too much is the standard argument used by most people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    A gastric bypass does not cure diabetes. Type 2 diabetes can be controlled by losing weight and eating sensibly as thousands of sensible people have done. People with a gastric bypass are left with a tiny stomach so they cannot consume so much food and what they do consume should be healthy food .... That's what they agree when they sign up for the op.

But there's a big BUT.;-). After the honeymoon period when the weight drops off many, many people regain some or all the weight because they then start eating chocolate, high calorie drinks and quickly learn that although they might not be able to eat, say, a whole portion of chips in one go like they used to, if they leave them sitting around all evening and nibble a few more here and there, they can still consume the lot. The weight goes on again. I know 3 people this has happened to and it was a total waste of NHS money because they had no intention of changing their eating habits after the op.

I see nothing wrong with Carole Malones article TBH. She is also correct in saying that people will scoff food like mad and fatten themselves even more so they meet the NICE targets. Crazy but true.

You can't see anything wrong with Carole Malones article because you are making exactly the same mistake! A gastric bypass is not a gastric band! Gastric bypass surgery can sometimes lead to increased insulin production, even in patients who do not lose weight. (Of course they may not need to lose any weight.) This can happen almost immediately after surgery, and is unrelated to BMI or even diet: bypassing the stomach seems to short-circuit the mechanism that is causing diabetes.http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/733691

And people with gastric bypasses will absolutely not be liquidizing chocolate or whatever the Malone's of the world like to fantasise they will be doing, in her endless quest to bully the fat: it would make them very ill indeed. If people with gastric bypasses start trying to eat sugar, some or all of the following are likely to ensue:

Bloating

Sweating

Abdominal cramps and pain

Nausea

Facial flushing

Palpitations and rapid heartbeat

Dizziness or fainting

Eventual diarrhea

Confusion

Fatigue

Aggression

Tremors

Gastric bypasses are major operations, they are for life, the person will never be able to digest a lot of foods afterwards. But they can REVERSE type 2 diabetes, not treat it.
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    it would be more accurate to say 'often' not 'generally'

20+% of people with type 2 are not even overwieght, usually having reasonably good diets and exercise

whilst I was overwieght my diet was not poor nor lifestyle sedentary before I was diagnosed

all meals cooked from fresh ingredients, meat with less than one meal a day
    don't have a car therefore walk/cycle everywhere including the 3.5 miles to and from work each day

that easy equation just doesn't wash,
    whilst it might apply to many type 2s there's a significant number it doesn't
    something else is going on which isn't explained by it

Equally there are many people who are really overweight, and eat poor diets who are not diabetic
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    Equally there are many people who are really overweight, and eat poor diets who are not diabetic

A lot of people don't know they could be type 2 diabetic.

I didn't know I was until a type 1 diabetic recognised the symptoms I was displaying.

A lot of the early symptoms would be dismissed as just being unfit, such as excessive sweating or shaking after mild exertion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't see anything wrong with Carole Malones article because you are making exactly the same mistake! A gastric bypass is not a gastric band! Gastric bypass surgery can sometimes lead to increased insulin production, even in patients who do not lose weight. (Of course they may not need to lose any weight.) This can happen almost immediately after surgery, and is unrelated to BMI or even diet: bypassing the stomach seems to short-circuit the mechanism that is causing diabetes.http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/733691

And people with gastric bypasses will absolutely not be liquidizing chocolate or whatever the Malone's of the world like to fantasise they will be doing, in her endless quest to bully the fat: it would make them very ill indeed. If people with gastric bypasses start trying to eat sugar, some or all of the following are likely to ensue:

Bloating

Sweating

Abdominal cramps and pain

Nausea

Facial flushing

Palpitations and rapid heartbeat

Dizziness or fainting

Eventual diarrhea

Confusion

Fatigue

Aggression

Tremors

Gastric bypasses are major operations, they are for life, the person will never be able to digest a lot of foods afterwards. But they can REVERSE type 2 diabetes, not treat it.

I am afraid you don't understand much about people who are having gastric bypasses. I have spent many a night helping my friend because she has "dumped" having eaten too much sweet stuff because she cannot resist it. It's a horrible word and for those who don't know, it doesn't mean having a poo it means having palpitations, sweating, pain and feeling like you are having a heart attack. My friends husband has twice called for an ambulance because she was so ill.

She and countless others say they are unable to go without sweet stuff and would rather be ill for a few hours than go without. She knows that she can eat 2 bars of chocolate in a day but will "dump" after 3. You would think that would be enough to put her off but often it doesn't. I have left venues with her and walked her up and down, sat with her and comforted her on loads of occasions.

People can get their blood sugars down to normal and out of the type 2 range quite easily just by losing weight. They don't have to have a gastric bypass. Unlike smoking and drinking, health improves immediately somebody loses weight.

I hope this demonstrates to you that Carole Malone is not exaggerating what she says. Take a look on any weight loss surgery site and you will see she's right. There are always posts from people who've had the op and are liquidising food, drinking and eating at the same time (which they shouldn't) and gaining weight or making themselves very I'll indeed.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was diagnosed Type II about 3 months ago, along with very poor liver function and high cholesterol. I am overweight and do not do anything like enough exercise, though having had 2 vertebrae removed and suffering constant (24/7) nerve pain in my right leg for the last 11 years somewhat limits what exercise I can cope with. Several other family members are diabetic including my brother (not overweight, and a healthy eating vegetarian for 45 years).

My GP put me on statins, said my blood sugar was "not disastrous" and did the "see if you can lose weight before we consider medication" mantra. I was told to stop smoking immediately and to cut down (not out) on my drinking. Said I would be hearing from the diabetic clinic, but I haven't. Chased them up a few weeks ago and was told "you're on the list but they are overwhelmed and underfunded".

I am so pleased our health service has been declared the best in the word - I feel very sorry for those poor souls in Germany, Netherlands and Scandinavia. I assume I will get a recall from my GP at some stage, but nothing so far.

I went mad initially, cut down madly on food, cut out smoking, drinking down drastically. It's all crept back a bit over the weeks (did get way too drunk last Saturday). A weekly curry has made a return along with other slightly naughty stuff, but breakfast and lunch is still pretty healthy. I've managed to lose a stone, which I think is pretty good after giving up the smoke, but it's plateaued. I could do with losing another 1.1/2 stone, but am not huge, and have been chubby my entire life.

Don't feel ill, or exhausted. Go out on my bike 3 or 4 times a week for an hour, though the leg does hurt. I really don't know what to expect now, and as I don't feel ill, find it hard to worry about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I was diagnosed Type II about 3 months ago, along with very poor liver function and high cholesterol. I am overweight and do not do anything like enough exercise, though having had 2 vertebrae removed and suffering constant (24/7) nerve pain in my right leg for the last 11 years somewhat limits what exercise I can cope with. Several other family members are diabetic including my brother (not overweight, and a healthy eating vegetarian for 45 years).

My GP put me on statins, said my blood sugar was "not disastrous" and did the "see if you can lose weight before we consider medication" mantra. I was told to stop smoking immediately and to cut down (not out) on my drinking. Said I would be hearing from the diabetic clinic, but I haven't. Chased them up a few weeks ago and was told "you're on the list but they are overwhelmed and underfunded".

I am so pleased our health service has been declared the best in the word - I feel very sorry for those poor souls in Germany, Netherlands and Scandinavia. I assume I will get a recall from my GP at some stage, but nothing so far.

I went mad initially, cut down madly on food, cut out smoking, drinking down drastically. It's all crept back a bit over the weeks (did get way too drunk last Saturday). A weekly curry has made a return along with other slightly naughty stuff, but breakfast and lunch is still pretty healthy. I've managed to lose a stone, which I think is pretty good after giving up the smoke, but it's plateaued. I could do with losing another 1.1/2 stone, but am not huge, and have been chubby my entire life.

Don't feel ill, or exhausted. Go out on my bike 3 or 4 times a week for an hour, though the leg does hurt. I really don't know what to expect now, and as I don't feel ill, find it hard to worry about.

That is a brilliant weight loss so far as well as cutting out the ****. :)To bring your cholesterol down ...... Avoid stress, take more exercise and stop smoking. Try to eat a healthy, balanced diet. Personally I wouldn't take statins but that's up to you. Read up,on side effects though. With that and your extra exercise you will lose weight and losing weight will improve your blood sugar levels. My hubby only had to lose just over a stone before his dropped right down and they are now normal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am afraid you don't understand much about people who are having gastric bypasses.
    :confused: Why on earth are you saying that? Nothing you have said even slightly contradicts what I have said. In fact you have confirmed it. People with gastric bypasses, unlike gastric bands, may never be able to resume a 'normal' diet. You have failed to provide any evidence whatsoever that it cannot, in some cases, reverse diabetes, and you won't because it obviously can.
    People can get their blood sugars down to normal and out of the type 2 range quite easily just by losing weight. They don't have to have a gastric bypass. Unlike smoking and drinking, health improves immediately somebody loses weight.
    That is a shocking generalization by someone claiming to know more about the subject that most. A lot of people who have type 2 diabetes are of normal weight; blood sugars do not always improve at all, let alone 'get back to normal' when people lose weight; and for heavens sake, only someone with no understanding of the issues would dream of saying that long term weight loss is easy.
    I hope this demonstrates to you that Carole Malone is not exaggerating what she says. Take a look on any weight loss surgery site and you will see she's right.
    On the contrary, everything she said was plain wrong. NICE were recommending gastric bypasses, not gastric bands; gastric bypasses can actually reverse diabetes, unlike gastric bands; a lot of people with diabetes are not and never have been overweight; there are all kinds of reasons why people my be overweight, if they are, some of them almost impossible to address; and NICE was making the recommendation because they believed it would SAVE money, not cost more, so all her bleating on about people with cancer is utterly fatuous. She just - and if you don't believe me look at some of her columns - hates fat people, and loves nothing more than the opportunity to jeer at and bully them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is exactly what I found. Seven years later I am still succeeding.

Mind you there will be some people who will disagree with you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is exactly what I found. Seven years later I am still succeeding.

Mind you there will be some people who will disagree with you.

Of course people will disagree that subtantial long-term weight loss is 'easy'; and although the Newcastle project showed such good results, they would never claim any such thing. The project was of short duration, and everyone involve in the study of weight control would admit that it is not short term but long term results that are problematic. They readily admit that their subjects were selected on the basis of motivation, and no attempt was made to test random group. They are notably vague on the subject of weight loss in people who are not overweight to start with. They are clear that as well as selecting only particularly motivated people, all of whom were fairly recently diagnosed, they gave them a high level of monitoring and support.

You are not a statistical sample. The long term success rate for substantial weight loss is universally accepted as being under 10%, generally under 5% without surgery.

The role of NICE is not to exchange anecdotes but to analyse statistics and identify the most cost effective solution to health problems. If they are identifying gastric bypasses as a useful solution to type 2 diabetes, it is possibly because it has a good long-term success rate, even among those who do not find substantial weight loss 'easy' to maintain.

It did sound disturbingly as if you were saying "I lost weight easily, so no one should be offered surgery." I hope I am wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It did sound disturbingly as if you were saying "I lost weight easily, so no one should be offered surgery." I hope I am wrong.

I never said it was easy. I have not mentioned surgery anywhere.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A recent report suggested that type2 diabetes is more likely to lead alzheimers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    A recent report suggested that type2 diabetes is more likely to lead alzheimers.

Oh so more good effects.