Options

How do you know you have a Nail Varnish problem?

Comments

• Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I nipped into Boots today and I saw that they are now selling Nails Inc nail polishes, but was a bit :eek: when I saw that the price was £11 per pot. There were some nice colours, are they any good?
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I nipped into Boots today and I saw that they are now selling Nails Inc nail polishes, but was a bit :eek: when I saw that the price was £11 per pot. There were some nice colours, are they any good?

I think they're meant to be good. I've never tried them. But I'm a big believer in any cheap nail varnish being just as good as fancy ones if you use a good base and top coat.

Today I went a bit 80s-tastic bonkers and made nails to match my bracelet:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/5891320973/in/set-72157625906268881/
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member

I got a nails inc gift set for christmas and there are some lovely colours in it. Also included was a basecoat and top coat.
    But in terms of long lasting without any chips happening, i have noticed that the trusty rimmell nail colours i usually wear last longer than the nails inc ones if i use the nails inc base and top coat along with the colour.
  • Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I thought I had a problem with my eyes when I saw the price!! I usually get Barry M, and I think I'll stick to them for the moment.
  • Options
    TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got Nail Inc stuff as a free gift with something else and had been initially excited about it as had heard it was really good stuff but never been that impressed with the results of it.

If I use the ones I have got it tends to be just on my toenails that aren't as visble so any imprefections aren't as noticeable.

I tend to mostly use my inexpensive ones for day to day stuff and then if I have something on move on to OPI etc although lately its been my new OPI shades that have been on most of the time and I've loved them so much I have wanted to keep them on.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Bought the new Barry M crackling effect from Superdrug today and it's fantastic!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I've got about 20 nail varnishes at the moment. My collection is growing though and I keep seeing new colours want to try.

I bought some of that Barry M Instant Effects nail stuff today after seeing it mentioned on here.

This is the result on my nails. (The state of the skin surrounding my nails is terrible!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64702668@N02/5894414450/

I'm quite happy with the result and will use it again on top of different nail varnish colours.

I bought the white one too, but I haven't tried that one yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The link doesn't work :( I'm dead impressed with it as well, I bought the black one and the pink one :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Sorry about that. The link should (hopefully) work now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aw they look fab! I've got the exact same colour on except I've got the pink nail effect over the tip. Have to say it does look better with the black though :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wkdxx wrote: »
    I've got about 20 nail varnishes at the moment. My collection is growing though and I keep seeing new colours want to try.

I bought some of that Barry M Instant Effects nail stuff today after seeing it mentioned on here.

This is the result on my nails. (The state of the skin surrounding my nails is terrible!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64702668@N02/5894414450/

I'm quite happy with the result and will use it again on top of different nail varnish colours.

I bought the white one too, but I haven't tried that one yet.

Nice! I like the blue underneath, it looks really shimmery.
    Edit: I've just looked, and it's Rimmel Azure, yay! I think that makes a good half dozen of us on here that have that one!

This weekend I have had Barry M Tangerine on, and I really really like how zingy it is.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/5897634964/in/set-72157625906268881/
  • Options
    L.O.V.EL.O.V.E Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Has anyone got the 2 free nails inc from the news of the world? I've got my tokens ready, just worried as I have never seen nails inc in tesco before :s
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i counted mine today, 64. i think i need help.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superdrug have Barry M 2 for £4.99 on their nail polishes, the nail designs one isn't included, but its still a good offer, I bought an indigo one and a grey one :)
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love nail varnish too. I always feel my hands look more elegant with it on. I am a bit lazy though and i don't always wear it. My nails are bare at the moment.

I have to admit to loving red nails or very dark burgandy / black nails. I always have my toes coloured red. They make my toes in my peep sandals look nicer.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Porcupine look out for Boots Stay Perfect in Salsa. It's a lovely shimmery red. Not a great pic but the only one I could find online. It looks pinker there than it is in real life.

http://xmisslorix.blogspot.com/2011/06/notd-boots-stay-perfect-nail-colour.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have any advice about staining? My nails were never ever stained before, when I used a good Chanel basecoat. However, last week it ran out and I bought a new OPI basecoat, and painted my nails bright yellow. Afterwards, my nails were really badly stained. I don't know if it was the basecoat not being good enough, or the fact that I'd used yellow varnish for the first time, but either way I have nasty stained nails.

I have tried Sally Hansen Insta Brite (rubbish) and Rimmel Whitener (much better, but only covers the stain, not removes it). Does anyone have any ideas for getting rid of the actual stains? Lemon juice? Bicarb? Anything tried and tested and recommended?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Ooo, great thread!

I have loads of nail varnish. This is about half my collection, the other half is at uni.

My favourites, Deborah Lippman and Zoya :love:
    IMG_1549.jpg?t=1309125954
    IMG_1561.jpg?t=1309125986

OPI Designer Series (all holographic):
    IMG_1576.jpg?t=1309125782
    IMG_1574-1.jpg?t=1309125809

China Glaze Kaleidoscope collection (all holographic apart from the top one):
    IMG_1572.jpg?t=1309125894

I have some more Zoyas on their way to me from America (so much cheaper there!) and they're fast becoming my favourite brand :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My nails are recovering but I haven't got the length back yet. Got fed up waiting and polished them anyway! This is No7 Stay Perfect in "Salsa" with Barry M Nail Effects.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My nails are recovering but I haven't got the length back yet. Got fed up waiting and polished them anyway! This is No7 Stay Perfect in "Salsa" with Barry M Nail Effects.

I have been eyeing up those No 7 polishes. I haven't got any No 7 at the moment - I have bad memories of a really awful one I had a few years ago that was terrible quality. But some of the current ones look really nice, that shimmery red you have, there's a green I think, and maybe a black that I liked the look of. Do you recommend them?
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't wear nail varnish anymore :( Due to work, not happy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    I can't wear nail varnish anymore :( Due to work, not happy!

Blimey, where the hell do you work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aye, so far so good!

When I first started my career (1992) nail polish wasn't allowed either. Some nonsense about hygiene (I'm a nursery nurse). Thank goodness times have changed.
  • Options
    pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was worried about not being able to wear nail varnish at work. Not had bare nails for more than a day since I was 14 (I became an expert at dodging the teachers that were strict in enforcing no nail varnish). I started work at a school and figured it'd still be the same, no varnish for pupils or staff but nah it's all good. Kids have turned up with airbrushed manis so things seem to have changed a lot.
  • Options
    TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was trying to be good and have failed miserably again. Just bought another pile of polishes. Think I bought 10 bottles within three days.

I got a new OPI mini set called Nice Stems totally gorgeous pink shades and 3 other OPI colours plus the Black and Silver OPI Shatters and the Barry M Nail Effects in Pink. Had meant to get the Barry M in turquoise as well but never got back to get it. Will buy it soon I think.