The Have Nearly Finished Painting the Forth Bridge!

soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,484
Forum Member
✭✭✭
You have all heard of the expression 'like painting the Forth Bridge' to indicate a never ending task. Well they are just about to complete painting it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14789036

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on the news today. I remember when they first started with the new paint.

I'll probably dead the next time they paint it in 25 years time.
  • EleKtroEleKtro Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did the first 3 get painted?
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some bits still look pretty bloody ropey to me. I think what they mean is that they've painted all the bits that were at risk, and left the less important bits alone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Some bits still look pretty bloody ropey to me. I think what they mean is that they've painted all the bits that were at risk, and left the less important bits alone.

My understanding is they have spent the last 10 years repainting the whole structure to last 25 years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Oh... for a while I was thinking this was about the Golden Gate bridge. I don't think I've actually even heard of the Fourth Bridge before. Same thing for that never finished expression, oh well I suppose I've learned something. :o
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. Due to advances in paint technology it won't need starting again for 20 years. There's cutbacks everywhere!
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    Oh... for a while I was thinking this was about the Golden Gate bridge.

One's a suspension bridge in San Francisco and the other's a cantilever bridge in Edinburgh, but apart from that I can see the similarity
    Golden Gate Bridge - Forth Rail Bridge
    I don't think I've actually even heard of the Fourth Bridge before.

It spans the Firth of Forth, just up the coast from you :rolleyes:
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    Oh... for a while I was thinking this was about the Golden Gate bridge. I don't think I've actually even heard of the Fourth Bridge before. Same thing for that never finished expression, oh well I suppose I've learned something. :o
    It's right next to the Fifth Bridge. You can't miss that. :)
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The headline's misleading as it will all need doing again and how long will that overhaul take ? At least at the moment the bridge is in good condition and ready for winter.
  • Know Your NurksKnow Your Nurks Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just spare a moment for the painters......now out of work for a couple of decades.

Help 'em out, anyone got a bit of decorating to tide them over?
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the painters could spare some time to do the Trinity lighthouse at Eastbourne........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-14745936
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Perhaps the painters could spare some time to do the Trinity lighthouse at Eastbourne........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-14745936

I think they could have some spare reddish paint about them so they could be on to another job soon. ;)
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    You have all heard of the expression 'like painting the Forth Bridge' to indicate a never ending task. Well they are just about to complete painting it!

Great, they can do the front of my house now.