Options

Running Out Of Things To Talk About

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
Forum Member
I am terrible at coming up with things to talk about. I will do whatever possible to avoid being left alone with one person because I don't want there to be an uncomfortable silence. I will never go anywhere with friends unless there will be at least two and then when the time comes to go home, I'll either pretend I have to leave before the others do or pretend I have to go somewhere else before I go home just so I don't have to walk home with a friend who lives in the same direction. The thought of being with one person and having to make conversation with someone one-on-one makes me really nervous. Does anyone else feel like this?

It doesn't matter how close I am to the person. It can be a best friend but I still can't just randomly come up with things to talk about. I've become so desperate that I now keep a list of little things I could mention in conversation on my iPad. Just anything interesting or funny that happens and that way I know I have something to talk about but it's not always enough.

Because of this, I've never even had a girlfriend and I'm 17. The thought of spending so much time with one person terrifies me because I know I would have to make conversation and I worry I wouldn't be able to and that it would just be uncomfortable due to silence. Personally, I don't find silence uncomfortable but the thought that the other person may find it uncomfortable is what makes me then find it uncomfortable if that makes sense.

How to people cope in life to avoid awkward silences? I'm genuinely interested to what people talk about with people they see on a daily basis such as close friends and partners because I worry about this so much. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am terrible at coming up with things to talk about. I will do whatever possible to avoid being left alone with one person because I don't want there to be an uncomfortable silence. I will never go anywhere with friends unless there will be at least two and then when the time comes to go home, I'll either pretend I have to leave before the others do or pretend I have to go somewhere else before I go home just so I don't have to walk home with a friend who lives in the same direction. The thought of being with one person and having to make conversation with someone one-on-one makes me really nervous. Does anyone else feel like this?

It doesn't matter how close I am to the person. It can be a best friend but I still can't just randomly come up with things to talk about. I've become so desperate that I now keep a list of little things I could mention in conversation on my iPad. Just anything interesting or funny that happens and that way I know I have something to talk about but it's not always enough.

Because of this, I've never even had a girlfriend and I'm 17. The thought of spending so much time with one person terrifies me because I know I would have to make conversation and I worry I wouldn't be able to and that it would just be uncomfortable due to silence. Personally, I don't find silence uncomfortable but the thought that the other person may find it uncomfortable is what makes me then find it uncomfortable if that makes sense.

How to people cope in life to avoid awkward silences? I'm genuinely interested to what people talk about with people they see on a daily basis such as close friends and partners because I worry about this so much. Thanks

bless, you know silences are ok, especially with close friends and loved ones...in my experience there is nothing worse than people who don't come up for air.
    don't feel uncortable for others, if they feel the need they will fill the gaps.
  • Options
    tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silences between friends and family are fine, idle chit-chat often isn't necessary. With others, watch the news, read the papers, make some comment about what's in the news at the moment, what you watched on TV, what do they think of Big Brother/TOWIE/the bank scandal/the Olympics etc etc. Or ask open ended questions so they will talk to you, that's the best way.

Don't worry about never having had a girlfriend, you're only just starting out in life. Your confidence will grow, don't worry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Just ask the person things about themselves if you are stuck,people love to talk about themselves!
    You will be very popular if you are a good and attentive listener and women love this quality in men.