Options

Cream cakes at work

Comments

• Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not work, but I am doing an MSc at the moment with about 8 of us on the course, and we brought in birthday cake to eat in our Research Methods and Stats module for one of our coursemate's birthday. :) T'was a nice atmosphere.
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the posts about consummating cream cakes!!!!

We always bring goodies into work when it's our birthdays - anything from cakes to chocolates to biscuits.
  • Options
    CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to have Fried Chicken Fridays!

:p
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »
    We get office cakes all the time.

It was a big box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts last week.

We have "Tuesday Treats" where the company buys cakes, doughnuts, buffet food, fruit, patisseries etc. on the premise that we all come together and discuss things....a sort of sugary networking session. Our office assistant often gets Krispy Kremes, but I'm not a fan.
    And our head office in Hertfordshire does it on Wednesday. Guess which day we typically choose to travel there for meetings? :D
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouldn't other people buy you cake when its your birthday?

My birthday is just before Christmas just before we get off for work so I always get taken out for lunch no matter where i'm working as thats just the kind of mood at the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boyfriend is a baker and they only time he has brought cakes to my work was on my last day. But he did bring a 100 yummy cupcakes
  • Options
    Enter_the_monkEnter_the_monk Posts: 2,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning tea shouts are VERY common where I work, though I suspect that may be more of a country culture thing, and it can range from cakes, pies, fruit, crisps and dips, biscuits etc. and the range of reasons for a morning shout is huge - birthdays, moving house, new baby, new starters, leavers, basically any reason to bring grub into the workplace!
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always bringing cakes into work.

If I'm putting on weight EVERYBODY is putting on weight!
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't compulsory.
    It's mentioned at induction and you can opt out if you like but no-one ever has.

We have other food and cakes left on the "food shelf" all the time anyway.

Sounds like a forced union subscription. Very intimidating and 'cliquey' to compulsorily default to being in the scheme, thereby forcing someone to stand out if they opt out.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a forced union subscription. Very intimidating and 'cliquey' to compulsorily default to being in the scheme, thereby forcing someone to stand out if they opt out.

There isn't a default.
    It's mentioned that this is what we do for peoples birthdays and they can join in if they like.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    It happens in my office, but as I'm allergic to cow's milk I inevitably cannot eat any of the cakes, biscuits, chocolates, and sweets that people bring in >:(

In spite of this, I will bring such things in on my birthday but just don't eat them myself.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    In Paris there's a boulanger every where you turn -- hard not to be treated for lunch.

My old workplace in London used to have cake runs; always asked for a cinnamon bun or cream cake, ��
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    No I don't buy cakes and I make sure that I am off on that day and either side of it so I don't feel guilty for not buying other people cakes on my birthday. I have never really understood why the birthday person should buy cakes on their birthday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't compulsory.
    It's mentioned at induction and you can opt out if you like but no-one ever has.

We have other food and cakes left on the "food shelf" all the time anyway.
    There isn't a default.
    It's mentioned that this is what we do for peoples birthdays and they can join in if they like.

That contradicts what you said in your earlier post:confused:
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That contradicts what you said in your earlier post:confused:

You have the option of not joining in or joining in.
    It's up to the person.

I'm not sure what's so confusing about that (unless you're just being awkward to make some weird point)? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have the option of not joining in or joining in.
    It's up to the person.

I'm not sure what's so confusing about that (unless you're just being awkward to make some weird point)? :confused:

To opt out of something means that you have to have either opted in of your own accord, or you're included by default.

No weird point being made here.
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not currently in permanent employment at the moment but I used to work at a fairly large local solicitors office a few years ago where it was quite common practice for staff to bring in treats for all kinds of reasons, whether to celebrate birthdays, retirements, weddings or if a person was leaving to join another firm. When a new member of staff joined the firm, the Head Receptionist would obtain their date of birth from the new starter and add the details to the office birthday list. At the beginning of each month a global email would be sent round detailing any birthdays which were to be celebrated. If anyone was celebrating a "milestone" birthday (i.e. 21st, 30th, 50th etc) an announcement would also be made over the tannoy (much to the embarrassment of the "birthday girl/boy"!)
  • Options
    mooblymoobly Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    I've never really understood why the birthday person supplies the cake. They do it in my husband's office but we don't do it in ours. Too many tight fisted gits.
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a birthday rota system in place at our work.

When it's your birthday you bring in cakes and a collection is made by the previous birthday celebrator. They buy a card, send it round and collect £2 from each person, then present you the card and cash on your birthday (or nearest working day if you're on leave). It's then your turn to be collector for the next persons birthday.

On big birthdays (i.e. 18, 21, 30, 40, 50, 60 etc) everyone puts in £4 each. With 16 people in our office that means £30 or £60 + card.

What happens if two or more people share the same birthday?
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah we do, luckily we have a bakery next door,chocolate eclairs, vanilla slices, ice buns, alpines, cream donuts...

It's great when it's managements turn...:D
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have cakes fairly often where I work. There are only 4 of us so we bring in cakes when its our birthdays and the bosses often bring some in .... just because.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning tea shouts are VERY common where I work, though I suspect that may be more of a country culture thing, and it can range from cakes, pies, fruit, crisps and dips, biscuits etc. and the range of reasons for a morning shout is huge - birthdays, moving house, new baby, new starters, leavers, basically any reason to bring grub into the workplace!

One day bosses will cotton onto fact that someone in your place does not like working and spends their time avoiding work by encouraging/organising a succession of things like tea, cakes, sweepstakes, whip-rounds, charity events etc etc.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    I'm always bringing cakes into work.

If I'm putting on weight EVERYBODY is putting on weight!

A noble stance I feel...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of it.

I've never told colleagues when my birthday is anyway.

Maybe it's a habit from my school days. Bad things happened to people on their birthdays.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never got this. I expect a big cream cake given to me on mine, not the other way around.

This bringing in cakes for others is a relatively new thing and I expect American influenced.

It's my birthday, you buy me the cake!!>:(