Amelia Lily premieres new single and announces new record deal

pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a582541/amelia-lily-premieres-new-single-california-signs-new-record-deal.html
Amelia Lily has premiered her new single online after signing a new record deal.

The former X Factor star will release 'California' on August 25 as the latest cut to be lifted from her upcoming debut album.

The singer has departed Sony Music and joined Warner Music's East West Records for the release of her first studio collection, which is expected to arrive later this year.

"Life has never been so exciting - I've been busy in the studio writing and recording songs for my upcoming debut album, and 'California' is where we start," Lily said.

"I'm so proud to be releasing this music; I have put my heart and soul into writing them. Expect a few surprises along the way though - it's going to be fun!"

'California' was co-written by Lily with Tim Woodcock (John Newman, The Vamps, The Wanted).

Amelia Lily reached number two in the UK back in 2012 with her debut single 'You Bring Me Joy'. It was followed by Top 40 hits 'Shut Up (and Give Me Whatever You Got)' and 'Party Over'.

http://youtu.be/EnsLAqyI83Q

Thoughts? I quite like it and definitely think its the right sort of material she should be releasing instead of her previous stuff. I'm surprised that she has been signed to such a big label too.

Comments

• JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I really like it
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for her for dusting herself off and finding a new deal, I really hope this is a success for Amelia and radio give it a chance.
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like her voice. This feels very Pink-esque as has been pointed out, nice feel to it. I'm glad she got out of what would've been a crappy contract and found somewhere where she can make good music that feels more authentic to her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better than I was expecting. :) This is the kind of music I always thought Amelia should have been doing from the start. Glad she got away from Xenomania. They were holding her down.
  • Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i actually am really surprised :) this is really good!

I liked a couple of her singles but they weren't very....groundbreaking. Then she just disappeared and I never thought she would make a splash again.

Good for her though for inking a new deal and releasing a really catchy, cool tune :)

Hope it does well for her :)
  • ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Actually like this
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like it, seems she maybe finally finding "her sound" the singles she released previously just weren`t her, altho i did like YBMJ
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like very much actually, it was in my head and I've been singing along and I've only listened to it once so that must be a good sign!

seems more 'real', if you know what I mean, her natural voice coming through more than her old auto-tuned stuff.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to her for securing a new deal, that seems to be quite hard for the contestants if they are dropped. I don't think this is a big hit, but I hope it is.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    It's very generic in my opinion. Kind of sounds like something Demi Lovato would have rejected from her last album.

Saying that though I really like Amelia, she was probably my favourite from her series, so I hope it does do well for her and she can continue to release music. She proved she can get a hit with YBMJ. Fair play to her for getting a new record deal too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    love amelia lily , think she an absolutely fantastic singer .

check out some of her acoustic stuff on youtube , amazing !!
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your down in Calafornia! I'm in London Citay! Tell Me What I've Done De Done De Done..

The chorus is super catchy. I listed to it on Monday night and thats the only part I can still remember! :)
  • adamw92adamw92 Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this song! :D really hope we finally get the album this time!
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like something that would have been showcased on Dawsons Creek or one of the Dawsons Creeks albums in the 1990's.

Not a bad thing, i loved that show and the music that came from it.
  • mashitupmashitup Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I like this track and Amelia. Good luck luck to her. :)
  • Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My new addiction! I've loved everything Amelia Lily has released so far, anyway, but this definitely trumps everything. It will be big!
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1992 wrote: »
    Your down in Calafornia! I'm in London Citay! Tell Me What I've Done De Done De Done..

The chorus is super catchy. I listed to it on Monday night and thats the only part I can still remember! :)

Paul Willett on Imagine FM is amused how Amelia tries to let these rhyme!

Yes I like the song too. I think I even prefer it to You Bring Me Joy. :cool:
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its.. alright? I'm not exactly crazy about it, but I really like Amelia so I hope it does well.

I still think she could have been very successful, had she not been on a year with very little buzz about it. I think the sweeping changes on the panel that year lost a lot of peoples interest, and the contestants suffered as a result. I know people slagged off that years talent at the time, but I actually think in hindsight they were a pretty good group apart from the mediocre boys.
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Willett on Imagine FM is amused how Amelia tries to let these rhyme!

I finally listened to this song because I'd keep reading about the pronunciation and as a native Californian I have to say that "Cali-four-nigh-ay" is a legit but old fashioned way of saying it. Its associated with the Mark Twain days of the Old West.

As for the song I think it sounds spritely and tuneful so I hope it does well for her.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like this song! It's fun and catchy. A lot better than You Bring Me Joy, imo, which I thought was so incredibly monotonous (and I usually love Xenomania!). I hope she does well with this one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charted today at #83 :(
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pjh8 wrote: »
    Charted today at #83 :(

Yes sadly so:(
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    So she's recorded a 2nd album of songs that will probably never see the light of day, 😕
  • LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sad that shes flopped. At least she is trying and actually releasing music unlike other flops like Alexandra!