Good photo upload site

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I haven't used one since Photobucket and wondering if I should continue with it or if there is some other service that most people use now.

I need it to upload pics that others can then access and maybe to sync with a blog I intend to write on my travels.

Comments

• DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flickr is a big photo sharing site these days.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find google+ is OK and imageshake to.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Picassa very good...
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Picassa very good...

Picasa is good, but it being folded into G+ - anyone going to a picasaweb.google.com address is now redirected.

However, the Picasa application is superb for organising and quick-fixing photos then allowing you upload the ones you like.

The whole things also integrates nicely with Blogger if you want to use that for your blog. In fact, any images you upload to Blogger actually go into Picasa/G+
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the integration with Picasa/G+ is appealing as I plan to use Blogger as the simplest form of Blogging the vacation.
    Forum Member
    Yes, but, you can have Picasa without having any google+ account. I access mine direct without being redirected anywhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but, you can have Picasa without having any google+ account. I access mine direct without being redirected anywhere.

Not for much longer :) Picasa predates G+, they will soon be one.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread.

Tonight I clicked the option to link my accounts and now I have Google+ photos and I can't for the life of me find a way to link to a single photo.

Am I missing something obvious?
    I want to c+p the URL so I can post the links here on DS or other forums.

PicassaWeb has a "Link to this photo" option.
    Forum Member
    If you want to get to web albums with no redirect try this.....
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos?noredirect=1
  • skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread.

Tonight I clicked the option to link my accounts and now I have Google+ photos and I can't for the life of me find a way to link to a single photo.

Am I missing something obvious?
    I want to c+p the URL so I can post the links here on DS or other forums.

PicassaWeb has a "Link to this photo" option.
    I think you're right; I can't see the option to do that either. However, you could always click on the photo, go full-screen, then right-click and select "Copy image URL" (or whatever, dependent on your browser).

I know it's not the same thing as it's creating a link to the image your browser happens to be displaying rather than a link to the file itself, but it's probably good enough for your purposes. Mind you, I've just thought, there may be a longevity issue with the URL this creates...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skiller wrote: »
    I think you're right; I can't see the option to do that either. However, you could always click on the photo, go full-screen, then right-click and select "Copy image URL" (or whatever, dependent on your browser).

I know it's not the same thing as it's creating a link to the image your browser happens to be displaying rather than a link to the file itself, but it's probably good enough for your purposes. Mind you, I've just thought, there may be a longevity issue with the URL this creates...

That's exactly how I've done it in the past and it seems to work ok.
    Forum Member
    If you want to get to web albums with no redirect try this.....
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos?noredirect=1
    I know it still works at the moment but as mentioned above it's time is numbered.
    I'm not liking Google+ at all. Thinking of unlinking the accounts and finding another photo host.
    Forum Member
    skiller wrote: »

!!11oneone wrote: »
    That's exactly how I've done it in the past and it seems to work ok.
    It's not very user friendly.
    Even the Google help site says there should be a "Link for IM" or similar on the right-hand side of the image.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Do some of these sites shrink your photos? i mean do they automatically scale down if your photos are really big? I remember a friend telling me that she used some service (which I cant remember what it was anymore :rolleyes: ), and when she downloaded the photos back to print them off, they were too small and she didnt have the originals anymore. I know facebook and services like that obviously do that to save space. I tried to print off some old photos I only had on FB but the resolution was too small according to my printer and so Im gutted! They (print24.co.uk) said I could try blowing up the photos but the quality might be really bad... Any recommendations? :confused:
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    white wrote: »
    Do some of these sites shrink your photos? i mean do they automatically scale down if your photos are really big? I remember a friend telling me that she used some service (which I cant remember what it was anymore :rolleyes: ), and when she downloaded the photos back to print them off, they were too small and she didnt have the originals anymore. I know facebook and services like that obviously do that to save space. I tried to print off some old photos I only had on FB but the resolution was too small according to my printer and so Im gutted! They (print24.co.uk) said I could try blowing up the photos but the quality might be really bad... Any recommendations? :confused:

I use Picasa and when you upload you set the uploader to shrink the pics to a pre-determined size or to leave them at the original size (which is what I do)
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when she downloaded the photos back to print them off, they were too small and she didnt have the originals anymore.
    Most upload sites will reduce your image resolution to around 72 dpi. There's no point having it larger than your screen resolution (72 for Macs and 96 for Windows).

You must realise that these sites are useful for sharing COPIES of your photos but they don't provide a guaranteed STORAGE system, since they could go bust and disappear at any time*. Many rely on adverts for funding. If people don't respond to the adverts, funding disappears along with your photos.

So keep your precious originals on at least TWO separate Hard Drives.

*The same applies to sites such as "Facebook". You might spend ten years building up a library of posts and images, only to have the whole lot disappear in an instant. Keep your own copies of everything you want to keep for posterity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Ok, thanks Martin. Ill have a look how I can keep my photos safe, ive got tons :O
  • JeeooorghhhbbbJeeooorghhhbbb Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Dropbox is good if you just want somewhere to upload your pictures and you're not too bothered about editing them, and it integrates well with things like your mobile phone and tablets. You can also set sharing options so other people can view your pictures if you wish.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Ok, thanks Martin. Ill have a look how I can keep my photos safe, ive got tons :O

So keep your precious originals on at least TWO separate Hard Drives.

Job done and you can put a lot on Flash drives (memory sticks) just put them somewhere when they're full and don't use them for anything else.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Photobucket is still fine.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Flicker is the KING