ip camera- where does it go?

JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm thinking of getting an IP camera for home security.
I have a question though- where does the stream go?
I understand that there is a way to stream it somewhere so that I can view it however is there a way to set it up so that it records to somewhere?- strikes me that if it can only be seen live then that really isn't very good if someone does break into my place as unless I'm watching at that exact moment and take screenshots....not much to be done.
And if its recording to itself/my computer then that is probably going to be stolen before I can do anything.

How is this done?
Would I have to get some web hosting somewhere or...?

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on your firewall. You habe to specifically allow access to your local network.

Recording the video steam is possible but may use a lot of storage space.
    It might be better to take a snap every minute.

Worrying about pc being stolen is a little OTT. So long as you backup valuable data, that's the main thing.
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PC is one of the first things they will look to steal surely?
    I was thinking to get one of those ones that detects movement and only records that. That wouldn't take so much space surely?

I really want to know how I'd go about recording off site.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have two Foscam's and have them send an email with a sequence of snapshots attached to the a spare Gmail account every time movement is detected. Can also view remotely live over the internet when necessary.
  • TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try This I use this at home and can't fault it.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just reading about these HomeMonitor ones in Web User magazine today.
    http://www.homemonitor.me/

They upload the recordings to a free account in the cloud.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josquius wrote: »
    PC is one of the first things they will look to steal surely?
    I was thinking to get one of those ones that detects movement and only records that. That wouldn't take so much space surely?

I really want to know how I'd go about recording off site.

If you have a Macbook Pro or similar then yes they might steal it, if you have a desktop they won't likely be arsed to.

My webcam (an old Panasonic) can email alerts when movement is detected
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ideally you'll want some sort of local recording, either on a memory card attached to the IP camera or an old PC hidden and locked in a cupboard. I use a Synology NAS to record my cameras, they also send me an email when movement is detected and upload any movement to Onedrive, obviously if the internets down (or the thief has cut the line) then the hidden local storage is a must.