The Jedward Appreciation Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Serbia are probably in contention along with Sweden and Ukraine. The Netherlands could be an interesting outsider.

I don't see anything in there that would terrify me as a Jedward fan.....I still think they've as much chance as anyone this year.

semi 1 was much more interesting as a whole... I think the winner will come from there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just now watched the EH vids... he is such a class act. He knows exactly that the crown will go to a younger act, yet he took time to give J&E genuine advice about 'the biz'. He was funny, but serious, at the same time.

I'm sure J&E realize what an honour this is being interviewed w/ EH... amazing... they were in the presence of music-royalty.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar, I hadn't realised that the Grannies and Ivi (Cyprus) had been doing so well in the charts.

I think really big chart hits (including Euphoria) have a huge head start, and won't be so dependent on a good performance on the night.

Apart from the three songs that have already had big chart success (Russia, Sweden, Cyprus), I think there are at least 4 or 5 others (including Engelbert) that could do very well.

So, realistically, I think Jedward should be extremely pleased with a top 5 placing, and even very happy with another top 10.

If they go top 3, or better, I will of course be feeling euphoria (or 'europia'!). But it's a very big ask!

The Grannies and Ivi can certainly have a commercial hit out of this SL and the best of luck to them, and I suspect they will both do well in the televote (btw the twins are matching Cyprus in some places and ahead of them in several charts).

But Jedward do have the advantage that their fans will multivote for them on the night : they're virtually the only act this year with a loyal and passionate fanbase. I'm predicting a high placing for them because of their fanbase and their excellent draw (and also because many of their rivals in the betting so far have a poor enough draw).
  • SecretPassageSecretPassage Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River_Tam wrote: »
    Different venue, different crew isn't it? Maybe the high but still too far in front shot is the best compromise for an "overhead" shot this lot can do?

The production is run by the same German crew who did it last year. In theory they could get that tight overhead shot, but while the overhead shot in Lipstick was set up during the change-over break, it could be that there's not enough time to get the camera in position for Waterline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pithywitch wrote: »
    semi 1 was much more interesting as a whole... I think the winner will come from there.

Mm, semi 1 seemed to be of a higher overall quality. Semi 2 has a few real stand-outs, but a lot of quite unremarkable songs and it's a lot harder to pick the likely top 10. As others have said, if Trackshittaz had been in semi 2, they'd most likely have been in the top 10 :(
  • flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @Disnae there is very obviously meant to be a spider cam shot while they are in the fountain, and we may never ever get to see it at this rate. *cries*

The Grannies story is amazing, but the song is truly dreadful. IMHO.

Yep and on the night it looked like the camera taking that shot was on a bloody space station....it felt like me it needed to zoom down more...maybe they got the wrong focal size..jeese :eek::D

Totally agree about the grannies and in all honesty I can't even watch it, I though it was just me that hated the song and I even don't like the performance...makes me *cringe*....:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah so did I, cos I love the song, it is a massive threat to our boys.

I think the Irish team can say what they like, that doesn't mean it will happen. It's a live TV show, what can you do? but yeah the cartwheels were less impressive filmed from space, and you need to see the boys faces, and the waterfall, not how big the crystal hall thing is from the inside.

I agree RT. Personally I am geared up for that (or Cyprus to win) and hope our boys finish high up on the scoreboard.

When I first heard & saw Europhia (lol) in the Swedish finals that initial impact and wow factor was just massive. For many watching on Saturday it will be the first time they are seeing the songs and I think Lorraine and Europhia just has that initial 'Wow' factor and sticks in the head... Same with Cyprus which is more yer classic or standard Eurovision song. I've had the bloody track in me head for days now... 'la la la la'..:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Waterline' is charting again on iTunes, even in countries where it had already hit the top 10 last month.

e.g.
    #5 in Estonia
    #7 in Ireland
    #28 in Lithuania
    #42 in Austria
    #78 in Sweden
    #93 in Greece
    #119 in Netherlands
    #124 in Belgium
    #128 in Denmark
    #129 in Cyprus
    #142 in Finland
    #160 in Malta

This bodes well for Saturday. The only other Eurovision song to chart so widely this year is Euphoria. :)

I was reading the main forum and the rating figures for the semi final were presented. It was interesting to see Estonia viewing figures were pretty high - even though they were not in the semi (as someone commented)... must be the Jedfactor :D
  • River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah gods, I love the stupid la la la Cyprus song too, I was kinda hoping Ivi couldn't sing live but she can. Ok I am gonna be honest I bloody hate the Grannies song and I didn't madly in love with the performance either. All the oooohing etc over the grannies just seems so patronising.

the Estonian viewing figures are interesting then :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I'm not at all convinced I see a Eurovision winner in this semi : I can find fault with nearly all the fancied ones, either the actual song or the performance (and I think it's a weaker semi overall than the one we saw last night).

Despite my last comment about Sweden, having seen that clip of the rehearsal I have to re-adjust to say I am not too sure about Sweden as an outright winner. WHen you see them all one after the other like that...it doesn't seem anything special as much as I like it, plus as we have seen, I think the presentation of this ESC for all contestance seems to be a bit lacking (eg camera angles/filming and for some, sound) hope it's alright on the night. But yep, not convinced Eurphoria translates as well on this stage...I think Cyprus is the one to beat IMHO. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah gods, I love the stupid la la la Cyprus song too, I was kinda hoping Ivi couldn't sing live but she can. Ok I am gonna be honest I bloody hate the Grannies song and I didn't madly in love with the performance either. All the oooohing etc over the grannies just seems so patronising.

the Estonian viewing figures are interesting then :)

Yeah, someone posted that the viewing figures were 200,000 (or 52%) in Estonia I'm not sure how to link a post from another thread so here is the thread link to that page and it's #21 post...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1665931

I'm not sure of the source for the figures though.. I tried to google :D But if it is so and it corresponds with Jedward doing well in the charts :)
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flowerduck wrote: »
    Yep and on the night it looked like the camera taking that shot was on a bloody space station....it felt like me it needed to zoom down more...maybe they got the wrong focal size..jeese :eek::D

Totally agree about the grannies and in all honesty I can't even watch it, I though it was just me that hated the song and I even don't like the performance...makes me *cringe*....:o

I totally agree about the grannies....I don't find them cute I'm afraid, I thought I was being a bit mean, so I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one....and now I've found out the youngest one is younger than me (I'm a little bit obsessed by that fact actually) they are starting to annoy me :mad:

She's 43 for goodness sake!! The same age a Kylie Manogue!!

As for the camera angles, I hope they improve for Saturday, but maybe for people who don't know how its meant to be, its not such a problem....people seemed to have liked it regardless....have you seen their follower count?....they've gained over 4000 followers since Tuesday....and its still growning :eek::cool:
  • DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    rosemary wrote: »

She's 43 for goodness sake!! The same age a Kylie Manogue!!
    Only 43!!!:eek:That's younger than me too! I thought they were all atleast 70!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disnae wrote: »

I think the oldest one is 71, but even that's not that old these days...When you think Lulu is 64!! ..there treating them like there half senile or something...so patronising!!

*Edit, just read another report that said the oldest its 80...so I'm not sure about that...but even so...43 is not exactly a granny is it?
  • ErtanaErtana Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Disnae wrote: »

Wow! Younger than me too. I thought they ranged between 70 and 86?
    Forum Member
    Oops sorry got it wrong. I thought they said Englebert was not the oldest at 75/6 as one of the grannies is in her eighties? So many conflicting reports. I think some youngsters find the grannies 'cute' but when you are older it just seems a bit patronising.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    If Sweden get an early draw (positions 4 and 5 are open), the main one to worry about would be denmark right? They're position 15 so not a great draw, but not a bad one either.

And hopefully mediocre countries get places 24 and 25 after Jedward!

How lovely was EH with the twins! Aww...such a nice man...Edward was so shy when he was complimenting them and their family!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pithywitch wrote: »
    I'm still wondering how Albania's entry gets that 'weird hair that looks like a snake on her chest' look.... is there a wire in her braid? Is the braid glued to her chest? Is it really her hair or just an attachment?

Isn't it part of the hat?
    Forum Member
    no1clothes wrote: »
    Isn't it part of the hat?

I thought it was a single dreadlock running from the nape of her neck? Looks like she's grown out her dreads into a ponytail wrapped around her head, with one loose down her neck?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Sweden get an early draw (positions 4 and 5 are open), the main one to worry about would be denmark right? They're position 15 so not a great draw, but not a bad one either.

And hopefully mediocre countries get places 24 and 25 after Jedward!

How lovely was EH with the twins! Aww...such a nice man...Edward was so shy when he was complimenting them and their family!

Yes we need a rubbish one either side to make them stand out even more....though apparently Lorraine dresses like a witch and looks a bit scary....so the sliver and gold Knights might be nice contrast after that ;)

I loved the interview with EH and the twins...they were all so respectful of each other.....

I love that the boys were really taking on board the advice he had to offer them and were genuinly interested in his stories ...and that he complimented them and their family so much :)

I noticed Edward was a bit shy and that he was trying to hold the mike further away from his face after EH mentioned it...

I thought it was lovely :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, I had a look at view counts for the first semi-final videos on the Eurovision YouTube channel. As YouTube viewers don't represent Eurovision television viewers, we can't really draw many conclusions, but there were a few things worth noting. Here's the list, with the finalists in bold:
    1. Mandinga - Zaleilah - 274,824 views
    2. Ivi Adamou - La La Love - 251,539 views
    3. Eleftheria Eleftheriou - Aphrodisiac - 244,516
    4. Buranovskiye Babushki - Party For Everybody - 237,094
    5. Rona Nishliu - Suus - 215,791 views
    6. Jedward - Waterline - 184,627 views
    7. Rambo Amadeus - Euro Neuro - 157,140 views
    8. Compact Disco - Sound Of Our Hearts - 123,730 views
    9. Pasha Parfeny - Lăutar - 104,107 views
    10. Trackshittaz - Woki Mit Deim Popo - 80,927 views
    11. Sinplus - Unbreakable - 80,050 views
    12. Izabo - Time - 78,394 views
    13. Greta Salóme & Jónsi - Never Forget - 72,770 views
    14. Soluna Samay - Should've Known Better - 70,886 views
    15. Iris - Would you? - 48,729 views
    16. Valentina Monetta - The Social Network Song - 48,116
    17. Pernilla - När Jag Blundar - 46,687 views
    18. Anmary - Beautiful Song - 43,404 views

Note 1: Euro Neuro is quite popular. But then it is really weird, and was a memorable opener to the evening.

Note 2: Trackshittaz are also popular. Once the voting numbers are released, I would not be surprised if we discover Woki Mit Deim Popo was in 11th place, with Israel and Switzerland near the middle too.

Note 3: Albania has more views than Ireland! Could this be Albanians catching up after their national day of mourning?

Note 4: Iceland and Denmark's songs are nowhere near the top 10 most popular videos. They're both good songs, but I can see their lack of appeal to the younger male YouTube audience. (Meanwhile, the trio of sexy ladies are in the top spots!)
    Forum Member
    rosemary wrote: »
    I think the oldest one is 71, but even that's not that old these days...When you think Lulu is 64!! ..there treating them like there half senile or something...so patronising!!

*Edit, just read another report that said the oldest its 80...so I'm not sure about that...but even so...43 is not exactly a granny is it?
    It is patronising! I'm in my 50s (still not a granny) and certainly not shuffling around as if I'm in my dotage. Even the Hump looks more spritely and he's older than most of them. Admittedly, some of them are really old but they've managed to make the whole lot look exactly the same.
    Forum Member
    So, I had a look at view counts for the first semi-final videos on the Eurovision YouTube channel. As YouTube viewers don't represent Eurovision television viewers, we can't really draw many conclusions, but there were a few things worth noting. Here's the list, with the finalists in bold:
    1. Mandinga - Zaleilah - 274,824 views
    2. Ivi Adamou - La La Love - 251,539 views
    3. Eleftheria Eleftheriou - Aphrodisiac - 244,516
    4. Buranovskiye Babushki - Party For Everybody - 237,094
    5. Rona Nishliu - Suus - 215,791 views
    6. Jedward - Waterline - 184,627 views
    7. Rambo Amadeus - Euro Neuro - 157,140 views
    8. Compact Disco - Sound Of Our Hearts - 123,730 views
    9. Pasha Parfeny - Lăutar - 104,107 views
    10. Trackshittaz - Woki Mit Deim Popo - 80,927 views
    11. Sinplus - Unbreakable - 80,050 views
    12. Izabo - Time - 78,394 views
    13. Greta Salóme & Jónsi - Never Forget - 72,770 views
    14. Soluna Samay - Should've Known Better - 70,886 views
    15. Iris - Would you? - 48,729 views
    16. Valentina Monetta - The Social Network Song - 48,116
    17. Pernilla - När Jag Blundar - 46,687 views
    18. Anmary - Beautiful Song - 43,404 views
    Thanks for posting. That's really interesting. I agree the Albanians will be catching up after their day of mourning. The views may not translate into votes, as we see that re programmes like XF but it gives a clue how things may go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wiwibloggs claim to have the leaked results from semi-final one. Do we believe them?

http://wiwibloggs.com/2012/05/24/leaked-results-russias-buranovskiye-babushki-won-the-first-semi-final/18065/
This discussion has been closed.