Kinect - users thread

Comments

• Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen that click review here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/

sums it all up just right I think only joking Microsoft

Yeah I watched that earlier. He missed out on a lot of it's features such as the facial recognition (which I talked about in my last post), which is impressive.

He seemed to keep wanting to compare it to the Wii, when actually it's hard to do so. This is a different way of playing games, just like how the Wii is different from your standard consoles. So I think it's a bit wrong to use it as a comparison.

He talked about lag. I agree there is a tiny amount but it doesn't ruin any games nor do you really see it as your moving around so quickly normally.
  • Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah it's what ever way you want to play there still be controllers and things I think going forward but this just shows what else can be done.
  • LarryPlaneLarryPlane Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    An okay review, pity he didn't talk about two player face recognition, which works very well, nor did he really look at the speech side of Zune controller, just mentioned it in passing, he also didn't show the motion control in the menu system. All he really did was demo out the games that everyone has already seen.

Click can be like this, sometimes they think outside the box, other times it's as though they can't really be bothered. No bias, just a lack of interest colours their review.

Sadly this isn't something restricted to Click or even BBC. But that's another story.,

One thing I would agree on. The titles that have come out so far are patchy. I thnk YourShape is brilliant, it has many, many more exercise options than a lot of reviews would have you believe and is a realistic alternative to joining a gym (having given one up recently I can say it is a cheaper alternative at least!). Dance Central looks cool and I may well get that, but the other titles are not grabbing me. However, some of the Vapourware that we've seen talked about, such as Haunted, does look interesting.

The next year will be make or break I think for Kinect. Either it gets developers interested, or it dies. I am of course hoping for the former as I am having soooooooo much fun with my Kinect (apart from the moving the furniture bit).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't really too bothered about Kinect until I saw what this geeky guy has done with it hooked up to a PC:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QrnwoO1-8A
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does YourShape require a lot of running on the spot, jumping up and down etc? Or are there plenty of other exercises? My neighbours downstairs wouldn't be happy if I was doing that every day for a period of time.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Cjw wrote: »
    Just tried Dance Central.

It's very apparent that I cannot dance at all.

Fun though, and it doesn't have a go at you if you don't do well.

Oh god I am so crap at that. I have no co-ordination whatsoever

it was a good laugh though
  • Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just been having a look at the online sites HMV have some in at the moment here

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=289489

amazon, play, game, shop2net, whsmith, argos, comet, dixons, all these out of stock at min.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finally set mine up tonight, have had since launch date but been doing other things.
    So far so good, only played Kinect Adventures but it's a good laugh and seems to be synchronising ok with co-ordination. I reckon there's about 8ft of space between myself and the sensor but i'd be better if I had more distance, so might move sofa.
    I may need to stick some sponges on feet so as not to p*ss off the neighbours.
  • LarryPlaneLarryPlane Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Does YourShape require a lot of running on the spot, jumping up and down etc? Or are there plenty of other exercises? My neighbours downstairs wouldn't be happy if I was doing that every day for a period of time.

One of the mini gym games, Light Chase (or something like that), does require you to do some niffty foot work. But it tells you to land softly for the sake of your knees.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finally set mine up tonight, have had since launch date but been doing other things.
    So far so good, only played Kinect Adventures but it's a good laugh and seems to be synchronising ok with co-ordination. I reckon there's about 8ft of space between myself and the sensor but i'd be better if I had more distance, so might move sofa.
    I may need to stick some sponges on feet so as not to p*ss off the neighbours.

I don't think you want more than 8ft of space. The other night I moved the sofa to make some more room for two of us to player and after about 8ft I was too far back and it couldn't see me.
    LarryPlane wrote:
    One of the mini gym games, Light Chase (or something like that), does require you to do some niffty foot work. But it tells you to land softly for the sake of your knees.

But apart from that, are many of the other mini games require running on the spot? I just don't want to end up getting it to find I can't do half the mini games without pissing my neighbour downstairs off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my kinect tonight from argos, so dinner then give it a go :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a go last night and thought it was brilliant. A lot of fun to be had with it I think! Does anybody know which is better between Kinect Sports and Motion Sports?
  • seejay01462seejay01462 Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    xx~KC~xx wrote: »
    Had a go last night and thought it was brilliant. A lot of fun to be had with it I think! Does anybody know which is better between Kinect Sports and Motion Sports?

I would say Kinect Sports is better. It just has a more polished feel to it. More fun as well. Although saying that there are a couple of sports on Motion Sports such as horse riding and skiing which are pretty good which Kinect Sports doesn't have. But all in all if I had to choose between the two I'd go for Kinect Sports.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love kinect but looking around the web my room just isn't big enough for it :(

I have a long but narrow living room and the way I have it set up means I only have 6ft between my tv and my eyes when I sit on the sofa, this means I would have to move my sofa to play 1 player and wouldn't have room to play 2 player at all.

I could re-arrange my room so that everything is length ways but then I would have to climb over my L-shaped sofa to be able to sit down or turn the tv on. It would also mean sitting 10feet away from the tv which would be no good for any tv watching or any non kinect games.

Who at microsoft thought this was a good idea for the casual gamer?

Unless they find a fix for this then It just isn't a viable option for me and I can see a lot of Kinects being returned after christmas when people get them out the boxes and realise they can't use them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair to MS, they have clearly put on the side of the box how much space is required. I honestly don't think they sat down and thought about how they could limit how many people could play on it.

You have to remember that the camera needs to be able to see your full body, so they are limited to what is actually physically possible with camera lenses. Try placing a camera down on top of your TV and see how far back you have to stand before it can see your full body.

There will be no fix, as it isn't broken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fisheye lens would have solved that though wouldn't it? With a bit of extra software obviously.

I can only think of one person I know who would have a room that this would work in without re-arranging the whole room and making it useless for doing anything other than kinect.

How big are your TVs to be able to stand 8 feet away from it and still know what is going on on the screen? Mine is 32" and if I turn it so I can stand that far away then it just seems too far away to want to play on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but I can imagine that it would have caused all sorts of problems with trying to work out depth perception that no software coding could fix. I'm sure it's something MS would have looked at but must have ruled out.

I live in a small flat and have an average size living room. I only need to move a coffee table to be able to play this on my own, and a sofa for 2 players. A bit of a pain yeah but it's worth it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another solution would have been to have 2 lenses one above the other and then stitched them together.

I have read that if you put the device above your tv you could get away with a little less space than is stated.

I could put up with only playing single player, to be honest I could probably do with the rest when you take turns.

Will really have to think hard about if it is worth shelling out the rather expensive price for something I won't be able to fully use... especially with only being a Silver live user.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I gained about a foot by putting it on the top of my TV. Made a little cardboard platform for it and stuck it down with some duck tape.

Honestly people seem to think 6-8ft is a huge distance but it isn't at all. In fact I would be a bit worried if you were sitting closer to your TV than that if you have a 32" or above.

Your not losing out of any features if you have a Silver account apart from video Kinect and any online play. But if you have a Silver account you obviously don't play online so your not missing out of anything really.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another solution would have been to have 2 lenses one above the other and then stitched them together

People don't realise that the regular "colour" camera doesn't actually do anything to detect people.

The real tech behind Kinect is in the IR emitter and IR camera. These work by sensing depth and it's incredibly difficult to do that with one camera operating in a fixed position, let alone trying to merge the data from two cameras.

It's not just seeing the user's entire body, it's establishing where they are in relation to other objects in the room.
  • Mark125Mark125 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thought I would give my opinion on Kinect.

I really enjoy games I play a lot of CoD, Halo 3+Reach, Gow,MoH I also like driving/race games PGR4, GRID, Drift, F12010 ect.

I got Kinect on release day with Dance central, Kinect sports and obviously Aventrues. My room is not massive but it setup fine and works perfectly well.

The Lag is tiny and definately not enough to effect gameplay. Its very very acurate and beats the Wii. For example on Wii fitness you may be told to move your leg then a timer will apear and it ASSUMES you're moving your leg.

On Kinect if you don't move your leg your PT will tell you off lol. My kids love it ones 15 ones 9 and the Mrs really enjoys it too. A lot of people moaning about it don't own it or believe they have more tech knowledge than the people who made it.

If you're thinking about Kinect go out an buy it you will love it no matter what kind of gamer you are casual or "hardcore".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    dance central question

What does the code do on the back of the manual

i am guessing for dlc but how many just one or a pack?

plus what does everyone think is the hardest dance
  • SamGamgeeSamGamgee Posts: 1,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the best games? Dance Central seems to be the best so far?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamGamgee wrote: »
    What are the best games? Dance Central seems to be the best so far?

Kinect Sports is fun, worth getting that to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got Kinect yesterday - it's great!

Traded in Wii and all the best to get it and certainly don't regret it.
    At the moment we only have adventures and the fitness one but will probably get the sports one next week too.
    We also plan on getting Kinectimals for our 3 year old daughter.

We did a video chat with someone and that was great too.

As for playing games, we are certainly fine for space with one person, but struggle with two people. Hopefully I can find a solution somehow.