Options

Unfair dismissal

minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
Forum Member
For anyone good at employment law: here's a question....

Someone working for a small company gets caught diverting stock (stealing) and is summarily dismissed. It turns out that they have been doing this a lot. The police are investigating and you expect the person to be arrested. Meanwhile the sacked person is taking the company to tribunal for unfair dismissal on the basis that the process of firing on the spot due to theft was not the correct procedure!

That seems all kind of wrong to me, can that be correct though? Surely if an employee is caught stealing they are guilty of gross misconduct and the company is entitled to fire them? Surely the only way they could win at tribunal would be if it was proven that they hadn't stolen?

Comments

• Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe something to do with "innocent until proven guilty"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minkski wrote: »

Someone working for a small company gets caught diverting stock (stealing) and is summarily dismissed. It turns out that they have been doing this a lot. The police are investigating and you expect the person to be arrested. Meanwhile the sacked person is taking the company to tribunal for unfair dismissal on the basis that the process of firing on the spot due to theft was not the correct procedure!

That seems all kind of wrong to me, can that be correct though? Surely if an employee is caught stealing they are guilty of gross misconduct and the company is entitled to fire them? Surely the only way they could win at tribunal would be if it was proven that they hadn't stolen?

It would depend upon how 'unauthorised removal of company property' is outlined in your Contract of Employment and, to be on the safe side, backed up in the Staff Handbook. If neither state that it would result in instant dismissal, then they could argue that the instant dismissal is unfair (innocent until proven guilty) and the court could uphold that they should have been suspended from the workplace (on pay or half pay) until the case comes to court.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Maybe something to do with "innocent until proven guilty"?

No it's not that, he accepts he did steal
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't surprise me to hear he wins op... things seem to be crazy like that nowadays..... and anyone can get anything now by calling 'my rights'.. keep us posted eh!.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me to hear he wins op... things seem to be crazy like that nowadays..... and anyone can get anything now by calling 'my rights'.. keep us posted eh!.....

Very true but it wouldn't preclude the employer from taking out a civil suit against the employee
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are strict rules about disciplinary procedures and if the company did not comply then he may well win a tribunal even if he was guilty.

They should probably suspended him and carried out an investigation before a disciplinary hearing.

Here are rhe government guidelines.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/Disciplinaryprocedures/index.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies, I shall look at the information you have given me :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone can take their employer to Employment Tribunal. Doesn't mean they'll win though.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Afaik gross misconduct is still a sackable offence and there is no need to go through the usual dismissal procedures.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    There are strict rules about disciplinary procedures and if the company did not comply then he may well win a tribunal even if he was guilty.

They should probably suspended him and carried out an investigation before a disciplinary hearing.

Here are rhe government guidelines.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/Disciplinaryprocedures/index.htm
    But there was no doubt. He was caught stealing.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Employment Tribunals will use a 'test of difference' in this type of case, so if a disciplinary procedure would also have resulted in the same outcome ie dismissal then he will not win.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's always doubt.

That's what we have trials for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm aware of that and I didn't claim they were wrong to sack him.

Having been involved in a similar case the employee was suspended and the police were in called in. An investigation took place and the employee was sacked.
    The differnce in this case was that the disciplinary procedure was followed.

I do not know what disciplinary procedures this company has and it may well be that theft is mentioned and is a sackable offence.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the case of gross misconduct they can sue for unfair dismissal, which basically means what it says, the employee thinks the dismissal was unfair. There's also breach of contract, but it depends on what is in the contract. There may also be evidential cause for discrimination.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might have been unfair dismissal, but (I think) the tribunal is entitled to consider what the employee would have gained if the dismissal hadn't happened. Even if the employer had followed correct procedures, a thieving employee would almost certainly have been dismissed anyway. So possibly no compensation actually due, or only a trivial amount.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gross misconduct generally results in summary dismissal.

I don't think there is any case for unfair dismissal here, especially if He admitted that he was stealing. Ultimately, the only sanction an employer can take against a thief is to remove them from the premises, and maybe to call the police.

The guy is just chancing it. But he sound very untrustworthy if he won't just go quietly.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Gross misconduct generally results in summary dismissal.

I don't think there is any case for unfair dismissal here, especially if He admitted that he was stealing. Ultimately, the only sanction an employer can take against a thief is to remove them from the premises, and maybe to call the police. The guy should think himself luck that the police weren't involved.

They were/are
    or so it says in the OP.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were/are
    or so it says in the OP.

Oops. Missed that. Thank for correcting me
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    minkski wrote: »

In most contracts, embezzlement or stealing of company property comes under the category of gross misconduct, for which UK employment law will allow for immediate dismissal. But the company must show that they felt the evidence was clear enough when they dismissed the person. Of course, if a conviction arises, it would be hard to counter that test.