Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,386
Administrator
There is NO way I would want to pre-book my dinner at 2pm....again, they want the customers to fit in with them, rather than trying to work around the customers.
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1774999

Comments

• M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
      Forum Member
      Yay, new thread :)
    • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,245
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      How exciting!!
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
      Forum Member
      How exciting!!

Should have waited until Easter. Then you could have said "How eggciting" :D (Gets coat....)
      Forum Member
      Can't quote SueG's post on £250 deposit as it's the old thread, but I've now read the Richwood's response to a complaint about it on TA and, again, it's incredibly defensive/aggressive. Not a wise policy.
      Forum Member
      M@nterik wrote: »
      Yay, new thread :)

Calm down, dear:D
    • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Shiney new thread!
    • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,494
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Phew! I thought somone had transgressed some unwritten law and got the thread closed!
      I want to change my mind why that couple dont want to stay......"vomit-gate" :D

Ahh yes, Hercule, I noticed zat too. Do you think it is ze genuine clue or is it ze red 'erring?

MRSgotobed wrote: »
      We only see Paul commenting negatively on Cathy. He must have talked about more than just her.

What on earth has the woman done wrong? So far, I can't see anything other than she had the damned cheek to mention that she found a hair in her food. :rolleyes: She even waited till the others had left before she mentioned it to Paul.
      M@nterik wrote: »
      This couple are really irritating.

They are making their problems their customers problems. All of the criticism is fair.

They are very prickly and defensive. Nothing is their fault.
      I agree on tonight's showing. I thought the criticisms made about their place were valid I.e, the decor but they were having none of it.

I knew as soon as I saw those blue, green and copper coloured duvets that it was going to be a blast from the past! :eek:
      SueG wrote: »
      That, plus the fact that the £250 they take from you in case of any damage* doesn't get refunded until after you've checked out, (because they won't have had time to check your room by then) and I think they have a really bad attitude towards their guests.

They feel free to take a hefty chunk out of that £250 if they find something wrong, like a stain and quite frankly, since V & S refuse to check the room while the guest is still there, the guest has absolutely no way of proving it, if they are certain that there wasn't a stain there and they therefore deserve the deposit back in full

*according to responses to Trip Advisor complaints

£250! Unbelievable! Those 2 need a reality check. When we stayed in a luxury and I mean luxury apt. in Majorca, we payed a £250 and completely understood why. The Richmond is so outdated, they have nothing to spoil!

I see we now have a new 'gate' to rival pubegate, poached egg gate etc........towel gate. I think the prod team must ask the B&Bers to test/look at certain aspects of the room and comment.
    • SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I've been reading the Richwood's Terms & Conditions http://www.richwoodhotel.co.uk/terms and £250 is not mentioned, although they do say that they'll charge for any damage "without consent if necessary". It's the fact that they refuse to check the rooms for damage until after guests have checked out and left the premises that would annoy me.

Their attitude to guests is so aggressive and unpleasant that I really don't think the hospitality business is for them.

I have just had another look on TA and I wonder if the £250 upfront only applies to group bookings http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186259-d568535-r134651129-The_Richwood-Torquay_English_Riviera_Devon_England.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT Shocking review though.
      Forum Member
      ewoodie wrote: »
      Phew! I thought somone had transgressed some unwritten law and got the thread closed!

That's what I thought at first.:o Then I couldn't work out how to quote from the old thread into the new one, if you see what I mean.
      Forum Member
      I've been reading the Richwood's Terms & Conditions http://www.richwoodhotel.co.uk/terms and £250 is not mentioned, although they do say that they'll charge for any damage "without consent if necessary". It's the fact that they refuse to check the rooms for damage until after guests have checked out and left the premises that would annoy me.

Their attitude to guests is so aggressive and unpleasant that I really don't think the hospitality business is for them.

I have just had another look on TA and I wonder if the £250 upfront only applies to group bookings http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186259-d568535-r134651129-The_Richwood-Torquay_English_Riviera_Devon_England.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT Shocking review though.

Looking at the response on the website it seems they decided to inflict the £250 deposit when the group arrived. The owners seems outraged when people criticise. I'm just about to read the comments they describe as "libellous".:D
    • SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Bellamy wrote: »
      That's what I thought at first.:o Then I couldn't work out how to quote from the old thread into the new one, if you see what I mean.

Just copy whatever post(s) you want to quote from the old thread and paste into a reply box on the new one, remembering to add the relevant username between the quote tags. Fiddly but do-able.
    • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I've not looked at the Richwood's web-site and leaving aside the issue of the £250 deposit (which is totally :eek: :eek: :eek: and would stop me staying there in the first place) but as it's not been mentioned in the show, I'll ignore it and say that I would have put 'yes' in answer to the 'Would you stay here again?' question on my form. I thought the two couples who said 'no' tonight were rather harsh and a little out of order given the scores they gave for hosting, a good night's sleep and what looked like a good breakfast. If all they had as reasons for a 'no' was tired decor and ordering brekkie the night before, well, I'm a little bemused. Those reasons wouldn't justify a big underpayment, surely, so it seems like game-playing or doing what they'd been told to by the production team to me. :confused:
      Forum Member
      Looking at the response on the website it seems they decided to inflict the £250 deposit when the group arrived. The owners seems outraged when people criticise. I'm just about to read the comments they describe as "libellous".:D

Elsewhere they describe some as slanderous. Clearly not knowing what the word means.
      Forum Member
      Just copy whatever post(s) you want to quote from the old thread and paste into a reply box on the new one, remembering to add the relevant username between the quote tags. Fiddly but do-able.

Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Can't quote SueG's post on £250 deposit as it's the old thread, but I've now read the Richwood's response to a complaint about it on TA and, again, it's incredibly defensive/aggressive. Not a wise policy.

I just got back from reading TA. They don't take crits too well, do they! I get the impression they want to charge for anything and everything and that their rooms are wetter than a night on the Titanic.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

I was a work in progress on the old thread and when I clicked submit it said thread closed. So I clicked on back and copied my post. Then when I saw this new thread I pasted my post here.
      Forum Member
      ewoodie wrote: »
      I just got back from reading TA. They don't take crits too well, do they! I get the impression they want to charge for anything and everything and that their rooms are wetter than a night on the Titanic.

A bit precious about taking booze to your room. Every hotel I have stayed in has been fine about that.
    • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,676
      Forum Member
      Eep I see what you mean about the responses on Trip Advisor - regardless of how harddoneby a proprietor feels they should bear in mind that what they write stays there for all and anyone to form an opinion with.
      richwoodtorquay, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this review
      6 November 2012
      Well, well this man…
      For sure he would prefer the Grand Hotel (they get some awful reviews too) but is either too mean or too poor to pay their tariffs. He obviously does not appreciate the Victorian curiosities that one finds at British coastal resorts…
      I am happy we won’t have to be pleasant to him again.
      Our breakfasts; I ask you: who ‘deep fries’ a breakfast? – we certainly don’t. And by-the-way, we have 3 stars and make a very good, fresh ‘locally sourced’ breakfast as stated in many reviews…
      The Beirut BISTRO... the food (which he did not try) is great. The Bistro is also the breakfast room and it is not awful, just different.
      And this is most strange – the small double this very odd man was in was redecorated at the beginning of this year… The carpet is CLEAN, as is the rest of the house; no pets have been in there. He is lying; watch out man from Nottingham, purgatory will take its toll in the end…
      We like our murals and resent his racist comments.

Addendum for readers:
      We do still have a lot of redecorating and some renovations to be done and are in the process of doing it, step by step, as our resources allow. This is an old house and the many various owners in the past have left their varying marks (and botched up maintenance works) all of which takes time – and money to change/repair.
      We have come to love our Richwood with all its quirks and we will bring her back to her previous splendour...

:eek:

I'm sorry, but if there's a maintenance issue which has been inherited from the previous owners, that's of no interest to me. I'd be paying YOU in the here and now and that's what matters to me.

I would never stay anywhere where I knew the owners were prepared to post this kind of response on a public forum for all to see.

Odd that they had feedback from Paul about the shower room needing redecoration and their response, again, was that it had already been done :rolleyes:

Oh and there's more
      I refer readers to other recent reviews from this date to make comparisons...
      It is a shame that this very supercilious 'gentleman' can't get his facts straight...!
      5. Our Terms and Cnditions are clearly Terms and Cnditions , not intended as a love letter to our guests.
      Finally, I am relieved to know he will not be back.

These comments are taken from the Poor section of the TA Reviews, of which there are 6. There are, however, 40 Excellent or Very Good reviews
      http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186259-d568535-Reviews-The_Richwood-Torquay_English_Riviera_Devon_England.html#REVIEWS

Sadly I think these responses show a very unprofessional approach that doesn't bode well.
      Forum Member
      One of their feedback comments starts "Well, it seems to me our guests either love us or hate us and our quirky Richwood...". It seems that all is well when guests don't complain, but that, if they do, there's a torrent of vitriol awaiting.
    • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Ah! So here is where it's happening now lol! :D Took me a while to find the new thread!

Have to say, there is nothing remotely appealing to me in Richwood, I would not ever choose to stay there, but I suppose it was ok value for money wise.But having read their website and their responses to negative reviews on TA, their whole customer service policy would appear to be "Treat the customer with the contempt they deserve!" No thanks, I think if I'm paying, I'll choose to stay somewhere that would value my custom!

Can someone explain to me what "vomit-gate" is please? :confused: I'm just very curious but pretty clueless abou what it means! I just don't recall seeing any reference to it in the trailer for tomorrow's show.
      Forum Member
      SolarSail wrote: »
      Eep I see what you mean about the responses on Trip Advisor - regardless of how harddoneby a proprietor feels they should bear in mind that what they write stays there for all and anyone to form an opinion with...

I would never stay anywhere where I knew the owners were prepared to post this kind of response on a public forum for all to see...

Sadly I think these responses show a very unprofessional approach that doesn't bode well.

All of the above. They have plenty of good reviews. It would have been better to respond the criticism along the lines of "Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay/ we'll take it on board" etc. If they believe the criticism is porkies, they can ask the guest to email with further details as they cannot trace the problem. All the point scoring is counter productive.
    • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,676
      Forum Member
      Not just me then!
      ... It seems that all is well when guests don't complain, but that, if they do, there's a torrent of vitriol awaiting.

There's some old addage about no one noticing when things go well, but it's how you deal with problems that is a mark of your ability, something like that anyway.
      =...

Can someone explain to me what "vomit-gate" is please? :confused: I'm just very curious but pretty clueless abou what it means! I just don't recall seeing any reference to it in the trailer for tomorrow's show.

There was a brief clip of Veronica says something about carpets smelling of vomit.

We shall see.
    • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      SolarSail wrote: »

There was a brief clip of Veronica says something about carpets smelling of vomit.

We shall see.

Oh, thanks for that, Solar, I must have have missed that! Now I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's offering! :)
    • OndineOndine Posts: 3,762
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Just read the reviews. I can't believe that they have the nerve to charge 50p for an extra pillow and that they only have one pillow on the bed anyway.
    • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
      Forum Member
      the overall picture on tripadvisor seems quite good but they are funny the way they react to criticism & seem a bit silly I think. They need to be able to learn to take it on the chin and in some cases listen and learn. Can't wait to see what the problem is tomorrow and why they refuse to stay. Will this be a first, I don't think I've seen this happen before.
      How amazing was Saidia's green patchwork jumpsuit when they stayed in the yurts, saw it again today:eek:
    This discussion has been closed.