Options

Age Limit Lowered to 14

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
Forum Member
A representative from The X Factor confirmed the age lowering to 14 to MailOnline saying: 'This is to allow a new generation of budding singers to audition for the series. Anyone under the age of 18 will need their parent or guardian's permission to apply and they will also need their parent or guardian to accompany them to their audition.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2596831/Simon-Cowell-lowers-age-limit-14-The-X-Factor-hopes-finding-younger-One-Direction.html

I don't think they should do that. Surely 16 is young enough? Realistically, a 14 year old isn't going to be a big star... It's too young. However, it does really seem that Simon is going to go all out to find someone to replicate the success of 1D. Maybe we'll see a big star this year.

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    18 should be the lower limit IMO, 14 is far too young. the business is hard enough to cope with for adults, so children should not enter.
  • Options
    HelenW82HelenW82 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    What's the school leaving age at the moment:?

I remember hearing it was being upped to 18?

I think personally they should have the age the same as the school leavers age.

Education is important and if they get there GCSE's and the X-Factor does't work out at least they have the exams to get them either into the next level of education or into a job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HelenW82 wrote: »
    What's the school leaving age at the moment:?

I remember hearing it was being upped to 18?

I think personally they should have the age the same as the school leavers age.

Education is important and if they get there GCSE's and the X-Factor does't work out at least they have the exams to get them either into the next level of education or into a job.

Yeah, it's 18 :)

I think 16 is OK.

I know it sounds ridiculous... But an 18 year old may almost be too old for their first audition? If they're teen pop singers, these younger contestants are going to be targeted at young girls. So, after X Factor (assuming they do well) the 18 year old will be around 19 when their first single/album is out. There would then be a further year of working hard and trying to break the big time. By this time, once they've actually made it properly, they'd be around 20.

Don't get me wrong, of course it's incredibly young to be successful, but when you think about the 12 year old girls who are the main selling demographic... Suddenly 20 seems quite old in comparison. Look at 1D... Their success is linked to their ages, they were only 16 when they auditioned. Yes, they're now 20, but have had years (three?) of success under their belt, they're not only just making it.

I think if 1D were 20 when they had first made it, I don't think they would have been as successful.

This only applies to teen pop singers, as these are the ones who going to be targeted at the young girls. For other contestants, making it at 20 would be fantastic.
  • Options
    HelenW82HelenW82 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Never looked at it like that before, but it does make perfect sense :)
  • Options
    luciejonesloverluciejoneslover Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I would rather if they made the overs category the overs 28s again. But its save to say it will be over 25s
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ringing the dinner bell for all those pushy parents out there to put their kids in the competition, whether the kid likes it or not, when the kids should be concentrating on their studies
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once again, they're giving us the opposite of what we ask for.

Another reason for me to not watch the next Series. >:(
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was all the fuss over Tamera last year, saying at 16 she wasn't ready...and now they lower the age to 14 :confused:
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    Because 14 worked really well last time, and absolutely brilliant when the young girl in X Factor USA got booted off
  • Options
    Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron_Tapp wrote: »
    A representative from The X Factor confirmed the age lowering to 14 to MailOnline saying: 'This is to allow a new generation of budding singers to audition for the series. Anyone under the age of 18 will need their parent or guardian's permission to apply and they will also need their parent or guardian to accompany them to their audition.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2596831/Simon-Cowell-lowers-age-limit-14-The-X-Factor-hopes-finding-younger-One-Direction.html

I don't think they should do that. Surely 16 is young enough? Realistically, a 14 year old isn't going to be a big star... It's too young. However, it does really seem that Simon is going to go all out to find someone to replicate the success of 1D. Maybe we'll see a big star this year.

Aaliyah signed with Jive when she was 12, became a huge star at 15. Beyoncé was in Destiny's Child for years and became a star at 16. Monica actually released her first album at 14, which has went 3x platinum in the US. None of them had breakdowns or anything.

IMO it depends on maturity. All of the above were very mature for 14/15/16 year olds.

Listen to this ;-) http://youtube.com/watch?v=rRwhm-B6yNI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ryan11 wrote: »
    Aaliyah signed with Jive when she was 12, became a huge star at 15. Beyoncé was in Destiny's Child for years and became a star at 16. Monica actually released her first album at 14, which has went 3x platinum in the US. None of them had breakdowns or anything.

IMO it depends on maturity. All of the above were very mature for 14/15/16 year olds.

Listen to this ;-) http://youtube.com/watch?v=rRwhm-B6yNI

Aaliyah isn't HUGE though, is she? Or is she? I've never even heard of her :blush:

I think 16 is fine. A 16 year old could easily be a massive success (JB and 1D were 16/17 when they first made it).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaliyah isn't HUGE though, is she? Or is she? I've never even heard of her :blush:

I think 16 is fine. A 16 year old could easily be a massive success (JB and 1D were 16/17 when they first made it).

She died in 2001 at age 22 :( trust me, you would have heard of her if she was alive! She was huge in the US in the 90s and early 00s. She was getting bigger and bigger before she died, she was also an actress. She had just gotten her first US #1 with Try Again before she died :(
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, but I bet you Beyonce wasnt on TV every week being ripped into by Simon Cowell and the US equivalent of the British tabloids when she was 14, was she? If she was I'm not sure she'd be so well adjusted now!

Seriously, Cowell likes to criticise and that's what viewers want as well; it was uncomfortable seeing them be mean to 18 (?) year old Abi last series and even Tamera, not to mention Misha B from a couple serieses back - and they want to put kids up for that? I'm not seeing it working.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ryan11 wrote: »
    She died in 2001 at age 22 :( trust me, you would have heard of her if she was alive! She was huge in the US in the 90s and early 00s. She was getting bigger and bigger before she died, she was also an actress. She had just gotten her first US #1 with Try Again before she died :(

Oh... That's awful :( I feel bad now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh... That's awful :( I feel bad now.

Aww it's ok! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Is this what viewers really want to see.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qckdu6JxQAo

Although Beatrice is only 13 at that time there is very little difference to a 14 year old in maturity wise.

:(
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't think this is a good idea. I don't want to see kids auditioning. I think it's too much pressure on them. It's bad enough on BGT - and their live shows are only 1-2 weeks long in comparison to XF's 2 months.

I wonder if the show is struggling for numbers/talent or something? (re: applications they've already had)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    14 is too young, seriously.

In response to this...
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    I wonder if the show is struggling for numbers/talent or something? (re: applications they've already had)

I remember reading that the amount of applications has risen by 20% since last year. Apparently, the return of both Cheryl and Simon has lured people back into auditioning. I wonder if the ratings will see this same impact? Hopefully.
  • Options
    Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Aaliyah name drop though<3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Aaliyah name drop though<3

:D I always try to drop Aaliyah into conversations, this time I had a legit excuse to :D
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the huge success of Emily Nakanda, it's no surprise they have done this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they look for a different sort of kid singers to the ones they get on BGT. Not saying that as a bad thing but I don't the show to become a carbon copy of BGT just to spite Bruce.

At least this way we will finally the lose the "Only 16" comment to "Only 14" lol. :p

I do worry for the young singers that plan on taking part in the show. Although younger people have made it in the music industry X Factor can be brutal.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    SOD_IT wrote: »
    Is this what viewers really want to see.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qckdu6JxQAo

Although Beatrice is only 13 at that time there is very little difference to a 14 year old in maturity wise.

:(

Or how about that time on series one Rachel Crow collapsed to the floor after being eliminated with cries of 'mummaaa you promised meeeee'.

Yes we know the americans are slightly more over dramatic, but 14 is still ridiculous.
    Why simon has this obsession with finding a child star I do not know
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol at 14 being too young, you need to watch old X Factor USA with 12 year old kids
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who will be the next Emily Nakanda?