WIMPY restaurants

Comments

• habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to go to lunch from school in one in Eltham, South London about 1970. Always had a Bender Brunch :D
  • hedsashedhedsashed Posts: 2,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn this thread, just put a curry in the oven, now I want a burger. :cry:
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to like the Whimpey meals including the hot dog ring:blush:
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought up North Scotland might have one. Jurassic Park has just hit the cinemas up there.

Well they won't have time to go and watch that. They're too busy playing on their Rubix cubes!:D
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Used to go to lunch from school in one in Eltham, South London about 1970. Always had a Bender Brunch :D

A beautiful sight.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's one in Dyer St in Cirencester :) is the nearest one to me
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had a Wimpy since I was young and now the nearest one is 29 miles away in Birkenhead.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lowestoft has one, and now I got that song stuck in my head. >:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seHKdirkCVU
  • LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    i still wonder what the real story was with their milkshakes.:D

No idea how they make them now but back in the 80s when I was 15 or so i worked in my local Wimpy on the grill. The milkshakes we made back then were just Crusha syrup, vanilla ice cream and milk whizzed up in a blender. Nothing too difficult to make.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who remembers their advert that went...

"Come on over to my place, hey you we're having a Wimpy....."?
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Sorry not to have been clear, for people who don´t know London well I described it that way to try and explain that the physical location of Beckenham is between Croydon (neighbouring borough to Bromley in that direction) and the part of Kent that isn´t in a London borough. I know that some of Bromley borough is in Kent as well as London in the same way some of the borough of Croydon is in Surrey. But reading it back I see I was quite confusing! Apologies. xx

😘! Xx

We should have a DS party at the Wimpy in Beckenham for all those who are local!!!! 😜
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »

The lady in post #15 does. I remember their previous jingle "Walk Walk Walk into a Wimpy..."

Brad Pitt is a fan http://www.heatworld.com/Celeb-News/2014/07/Brad-Pitt-walks-into-an-Essex-Wimpy-invests-in-a-sausage-meal-and-leaves-What-a-dude/
    Forum Member
    All of Bromley and Croydon are in London, and have been for decades, despite the denial of many.

Nothing to do with denial Mark.

The post I was commenting on said Beckenham was BETWEEN Croydon and Kent. That isn't physically possible!

Addresses in Beckenham are still, 'Beckenham, KENT' and don't have a London post code. Yes it is in a London borough but it hasn't been forceably removed from Kent!

Anyway, as for the Wimpy...it was done up a year or so ago do must be doing well. Beckenham has always resisted MacDonalds so maybe that is why Wimpy survives there😄.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with denial Mark.

The post I was commenting on said Beckenham was BETWEEN Croydon and Kent. That isn't physically possible!

Addresses in Beckenham are still, 'Beckenham, KENT' and don't have a London post code. Yes it is in a London borough but it hasn't been forceably removed from Kent!

Anyway, as for the Wimpy...it was done up a year or so ago do must be doing well. Beckenham has always resisted MacDonalds so maybe that is why Wimpy survives there��.

You are between Croydon and Kent, but as you're in a London Borough, you can't be in Kent as well. The boundaries changed I believe in the 60's (I could be wrong) and Kent County Council provide no services at all to Beckenham.

Therefore you're no longer in Kent, although I accept you once were. Your postal address has no reflection as to what county you're in. It's for Royal Mail purposes only.
    Forum Member
    You are between Croydon and Kent, but as you're in a London Borough, you can't be in Kent as well. The boundaries changed I believe in the 60's (I could be wrong) and Kent County Council provide no services at all to Beckenham.

Therefore you're no longer in Kent, although I accept you once were. Your postal address has no reflection as to what county you're in. It's for Royal Mail purposes only.

If you say so! I had no idea I haven't been living where I've actually been living for the last 40 years!!! I'm amazed I've managed to get around all that time!! Regardless of all of that, I can still find the Wimpy in Beckenham...!
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are they all?
    We need to know where the surviving WIMPY burger restaurants are
    I love a Wimpy :)

Right;

Hayes End, Middlesex There's one on the Uxbridge road ( a4020).
    Southsea, next to the Isle of Wight Hovercraft terminal.
    Ryde, I.O.W. in the high street.
    M.5. Southbound services North of Bristol.

Where else? I, and many others need to know!
    Please add to the list!

Not so now...the one in Hayes shut down about 4 months ago :(
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on over to my place. HEY YOU! We're having a Wimpy.
  • ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Littlehampton had one I presume it's still there!
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Come on over to my place. HEY YOU! We're having a Wimpy.

Yep, I remember it well.

Those were the days.:D
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shanty Brunch anyone?.Maybe even a Knickerbockerglory.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do! ;-)

I remember Wimpy Bar & KFC in Newark being a real treat as a teenager :)
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wildhollie wrote: »
    Not so now...the one in Hayes shut down about 4 months ago :(

<sighs>

I used to live near there. Hayes really is just a ghost town these days, quite a sad place
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    I work across the road from the one in Wembley. Apart from event days, I don't know how it survives. It is incredibly expensive and is almost always empty. The Moulin Cafe run by George next door kick it's ass all day long.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    Still there! Although Beckenham is IN Kent, not between Croydon (in Surrey!) and Kent!!!

Beckenham is in south east London.

Wimpy are also in Margate, Maidstone, there used to be one in Croydon but I think it got taken over by something else. There is a sign on the M20 past Folkestone services for one at the services but it doesnt come up in their store locator and we have never been in there so I dont know if its there or not.