Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andy vs Kyrgios will be on at around 8.15am tomorrow.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonl87 wrote: »
    I still don't know why pundits talk about Dimitrov like he's a young up and coming player.

A lot of it is to do with his attractive playing style I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dimitrov is overhyped imo. Good player, but his Federer type style causes people to overhype him

That's right. But in fact none of the "up and coming" players have been able to get to a consistent high level yet so I guess they'll latch on to one that has an attractive game.:)

Kei might be the one to finally reach a consistent level (by which I mean GS semis or better). Let's see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow Aga broken again. V will serve for the win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would actually be quite interesting to see Kyrgios in the final too. He's an exciting player to watch.

He's only 19 so what will he be like in 3 or 4 years? Hope he doesn't end up like Tomic with promise unfulfilled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow what an amazing 2nd serve to take it. Brilliant stuff from V. Back to her best.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay Venus!

Happy Kei and Stan are through too. Raonic not so much. Go Mueller!
  • Options
    amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just have to say YAY!!!!! Go Vee!!!!!!
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well played Venus!!
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank goodness for Sam Smith with a decent interview.
    Venus was lovely.
    Why is Aga always so miserable at the end of a match with the handshake. She should take a tip from the men who on the whole are really generous at the handshake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Should be a cracker of a match against Madison. Battle of the big hitters. Hope Madison doesn't get too nervous playing her idol.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mixed feelings. I was hoping for Aga to win a slam but it's lovely to see Venus playing well :)

As for Vika, it's not surprising. There was no way she could pose a serious threat after being injured for so long. It takes time to recover from that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Indeed. Many went wow when there was a 57 shot rally saying it was sensational just because it lasted 57 shots. And it didn't even end with a spectacular winner.

Basically it was like watching Nadal and Djokovic hitting backwards and forwards to each other like in the pre-match knockup.

Just because it's a long rally doesn't automatically mean it was amazing or incredible. It only ends when one player has made a mistake after for the first 56 shots of the 57 shot rally neither shot looked like being a winner.

This sums up exactly how I feel.

Also just because it's five hours doesn't mean it's a great five hours and isn't just running and hitting the ball back and forth until something gives.

I hate the hours of rallying and some variety is best for me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    12 years on the tour and they've never met before. How strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Venus was lovely.
    Why is Aga always so miserable at the end of a match with the handshake. She should take a tip from the men who on the whole are really generous at the handshake.

I like Aga, but I found her really rude when she lost the Wimbledon semi to Sabine, really rude in the handshake and then saying if she had lost to Bartolli she would have smashed all of her racquets.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Well done Venus, there's life in the old girl yet.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really happy for Venus - never thought i'd see her in the late stages of a GS again.

Looking forward to the match against Madison. I'd love it if Venus got through to the semis - if she plays Serena, maybe Serena will feel generous .....but then again maybe not!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable lob from Nole!!!!
  • Options
    Serenity.Serenity. Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    Venus was lovely.

I would really like Radwanska is she wasn't such a bad loser. I like her style of play, because she has to be more skilful due to not being the hardest hitter out there. But she comes across as ungracious and for that reason, I just can't take to her. No one is pleased to lose a match but there are few out there who have it written all over their face like she does. The Lisicki Wimbledon semi stands out in my mind as a classic example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Serenity. wrote: »
    I would really like Radwanska is she wasn't such a bad loser. I like her style of play, because she has to be more skilful due to not being the hardest hitter out there. But she comes across as ungracious and for that reason, I just can't take to her. No one is pleased to lose a match but there are few out there who have it written all over their face like she does. The Lisicki Wimbledon semi stands out in my mind as a classic example.

She was quite gracious today smiling and congratulating Venus and wishing her luck. Can't see what more she can do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Serenity. wrote: »

I didn't see today's match but it can be hard to control your emotions at times like this. Lisicki herself was quite OTT in her bawling in the middle of the final but these situations are highly stressful so maybe we can give them some leeway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Novak on his way to another straight sets mauling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    I like Aga, but I found her really rude when she lost the Wimbledon semi to Sabine, really rude in the handshake and then saying if she had lost to Bartolli she would have smashed all of her racquets.

As a fan, I can be honest and admit that wasn't her finest moment. I was disappointed with what she said about Marion and her handshake was pretty rude, but everyone has their moments. In general I don't think she is a bad loser at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like Novak's game, he's the best counterpuncher, but he is an awsome attacking player, he's so versitile and gifted.

Happy to see Stan and Kei are through and Serena too, Muguruza put up a great fight again, she knows how to play Serena too.
    Shame about Vika, but she's still finding her feet on her come back, the signs are good for her though for the future. Nobody can come back from injury and win any event, let alone a slam, but she'll do better.

I'm just still so happy for Venus to be back in the last eight after so many years, the signs weren't good in the third when she was broken in the first game, but then to reel off the next six and play really well. Loved the confidence she had to second serve ace for the match too!
    She was also so charming in her interview, she's so lovely! Bless her, when she said I really just wanted to win! :)
    I did laugh at the Serena telling her to challenge bit, so funny!!
This discussion has been closed.