Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was quite surprised at how many experts were tipping Murray. It would have needed a superhuman effort and five sets for Murray to win and I couldn't really see it. But at least Murray is back in slam finals again, although the questions about his mentality, negativity etc. will come back again.

One poster made me laugh yesterday, saying Murray was going to win because the BRITISH comms had tipped him as the favourite and as all of them did it so resounding, Murray was clearly going to win!
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thread was interesting today :kitty:
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Boris's Becker looks as old as late 60's even 70's yet he's only 47...is he a drinker??
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    Only the afternoon 'not so important' matches.

Yes it is ITV who have the Fo. :blush:

ITV provide far better coverage of the French Open than the BBC ever did when they previously held the FTA rights.

When the BBC once held the FTA rights their coverage apart from the 2 weekends was hidden behind the red button while ITV use either ITV1 or ITV4 throughout. That in itself confirms that ITV's coverage is better than the BBC's was.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The better player won as far as I saw, Andy did well, but Novak is just on a higher plane than him, and it showed, it is no disgrace to get beaten by him.

The man love for Andy though does get on my nerves, I do have to say.
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Novak. I knew whoever won the third set would win the match. Andy had his chances, he just didn't take them. At the end of the day, he has no one to blame but himself.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    Federer is probably the only player who has never, and will never use injury to gain an advantage, for which he should be totally respected.

Novak's antics today were so obvious he is reducing the game to sportsmanship, which leaves the players with animosity rather than respect for each other.

It's a major shame, and at the end of that match I feel sorry for tennis as a whole, rather than Andy. :(
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Murray looking furious whilst Novak's talking about him, doesn't believe a word! :D

It was a bit crass to mention having lots of babies. Maybe they don't want children? Lots of couples are child free these days.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murrays next task would be to win a 1000 masters whens the last time he won one of those?

Think he'll get to at least the final of Miami and/or Indian Wells, and possibly win one of them. Before he completely disappears during the clay season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    It's a shame Federer hasn't retired yet as Murray could really use some advice from him on staying positive. Federer always looked like he was about to go for a casual country stroll on a summer afternoon even when he was a set and a break down. Then he'd turn things around to take the match and still look pretty unperturbed as he slipped on his trousers and jacket to casually collect the trophy.

:D:D:D

Fed ...... the epitome of class on a tennis court.:cool:

We probably shall never see the like again, the way tennis is going.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're talking in terms of natural ability alone, then I don't agree. I am going to get laughed off the thread for this but I truly believe Andy Murray is at the same level as those guys. However, at the elite level, miniscule differences in willpower make all the difference. I simply don't think Murray believes he can win as much as the other three do.

You could say that about any of the top 10 (Berdych, Nishikori, Wawrinka), maybe top 20 (Tsonga, Monfils) even some of the top 50, top 100. They can all play tennis, 'on their day' as you put it, any of them can turn up and play a flawless game but consistency, mental strength etc are all part of it and Federer, Nadal, Djokovic are 'on their day' more consistently than anyone else.

Murray can compete with them on his day but so can the rest of the top 10, 20, or even 50. Saying Murray is as good as them 'on his day' is a very flimsy, cop-out kind of statement which totally hides the reality of the situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a shame Federer hasn't retired yet as Murray could really use some advice from him on staying positive. Federer always looked like he was about to go for a casual country stroll on a summer afternoon even when he was a set and a break down. Then he'd turn things around to take the match and still look pretty unperturbed as he slipped on his trousers and jacket to casually collect the trophy.

Haha so true...RF is just one cool dude, pure class. None of the top 10 players come close, although maybe Raonic?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was a bit crass to mention having lots of babies. Maybe they don't want children? Lots of couples are child free these days.

I did think it was something you say in private, rather than announce it to a whole stadium and world television.

Kim did smile ....... and probably wondered 'why has he said that'?:o
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a lot in it. It just happens that Andys strength level dips late on and as we know his opponents never does.

The exact same really happened in that other semi.
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Novak Fakerbitch. :D

:D:D:D
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Not a lot in it. It just happens that Andys strength level dips late on and as we know his opponents never does.

If Andy isn't fit enough to go two sets with Novak then he shouldn't be playing professional tennis. He had an extra day to recover I believe? And Novak's semi went 5 sets. I think the collapse was purely psychological. Yes he was tired but so was his opponent. The advantage was momentum. Andy had it.. Novak took it from him in a calculated way and it worked far better than he could have possibly hoped for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. He is angry with Djoko as well.

They haven't been that close in a while, Novak says they are, but Andy said before their Wimbledon final they weren't very close now as they compete for the big titles. I think Ivan had a hand in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I posted a while back RF could announce by the year end something perhaps unexpected or not by some within the tennis world ....and I stand by it.

Hankies at the ready...
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    You could say that about any of the top 10 (Berdych, Nishikori, Wawrinka), maybe top 20 (Tsonga, Monfils) even some of the top 50, top 100. They can all play tennis, 'on their day' as you put it, any of them can turn up and play a flawless game but consistency, mental strength etc are all part of it and Federer, Nadal, Djokovic are 'on their day' more consistently than anyone else.

Murray can compete with them on his day but so can the rest of the top 10, 20, or even 50. Saying Murray is as good as them 'on his day' is a very flimsy, cop-out kind of statement which totally hides the reality of the situation.

Your point about extending that to the top 20 has some merit just look at Cilic a few months back. No way was anyone beating him at the US open, he looked as good as any other player in the past 5 years when he won that. He was incredible.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Novak. Slightly tainted by his injury faking but Andy shouldn't have reacted to it.

Andy should have enough experience to be not fazed by that now.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    I did think it was something you say in private, rather than announce it to a whole stadium and world television.

Kim did smile ....... and probably wondered 'why has he said that'?:o

Kim laughed but Andy looked like he was going to punch someone.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fed is fairly similar to Borg. Also they were both stroppy teens before cutting out such behaviour once they joined the bog boys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    Federer and Nadal never did these kinds of things to the best of my recollection.

Federer doesn't, Nadal all the time, well a lot of MTO's and injuries or illness.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    They haven't been that close in a while, Novak says they are, but Andy said before their Wimbledon final they weren't very close now as they compete for the big titles. I think Ivan had a hand in it.

Good. Don't like all this pally nonsense on court. You can respect a player without liking them. People like Stan have far too much respect for him.
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Roger but Nadal def ...just watch back his laughable injury faking acting tricks during the AO finals with Wawrinka to the point that Wawrinka got really pissed off with Nadal's antics.

Rafa was NOT faking anything last year if he was he is a better actor than Richard Burton ever was and Stan was really nice to Rafa and said that he could see that Rafa had a problem with his back, Stan is good friends with Rafa actually.
This discussion has been closed.