Childhood Misconceptions

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Or a rugby player. More likely I imagine.

Could be a cop who looks like Captain Kirk
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be a cop who looks like Captain Kirk

Showing your age there! I did have a crush on his partner though! Can't remember her name!
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Or a rugby player. More likely I imagine.

He was no rugby player, not with his 'bad back' ;-).
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I heard the word 'prostitute' on the news, I didn't know what one was so I thought it was something like a politician.

I'm another one who was puzzled by the term 'Guerilla warfare' when I heard it mentioned on the news.
    I thought it was people fighting in the jungle. Because I interpreted it as fighting like how gorillas would.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Is that a typo for Psycho? Interesting factlet either way. I can see how the colour brown could look similar to red in black and white.

That made me think of a Christmas carol one of my own. At one time I thought it was "Good Wences last looked out on the feast of Stephen" rather than "Good King Wenceslas looked out".

I thought it was "Good King Wence lass last looked out on the feast of Stephen".
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    When I was about ten and was having a row with my younger cousin who was being annoying, I shouted to him that he was a 'queer'!

I thought it meant something like nuisance or pest.

My sister-in-law overheard me and asked me if I knew what queer meant.

'Of course I do' I replied!
    Forum Member
    Having a good chuckle at this thread, especially the 'sinister Gerry Adams' one! :D
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Before I started school my older sister (who had just started school) told me that anyone who was naughty had to stand under the clock. I was terribly confused - I had only really seen clocks on fireplaces before and tried to imagine balancing on the small ledge (mantle piece) somehow.
  • SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good king wenselscelas looked out, upon the feet of Stephen.
    Monegreens are great.
    Young girl with eyes like potatoes, la isla bonita, Madonna.
    Bring me an iron lung, higher love, stevie Winwood.
    I thought these were genuine lyrics!

My son used to sing:

Treat me right, treat me good, treat me like you know you should
    Cause I don't have a wood grandpa.
  • SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought a horse called "Bar" ran in every race.
    Forum Member
    Whenever the Shipping Forecast was on the radio and it came to 'German Bight', I thought it was German 'Bite' and that it meant that a German fishing fleet had had a good catch.

I always wondered why it mattered to the weather!
    Forum Member
    When my Dad used to come in to say goodnight he used to 'tuck us in' by pulling the blankets really tight. He used to say - I'll tuck you in like when I was in the army (national service). I suppose he meant making the beds up really tight and perfect.

For years I imagined the sergeant used to tuck all the privates up in bed for the night.
    Forum Member
    Remembering lots now!

Whenever I tried to skive a day off of school (often!), Mum would threaten me that she'd have the 'School Ball Man' after her.

This terrified me. I imagined a man like a monster, with a ball for a head, specially sent out to scare parents into making sure their kids went to school. I didn't want poor Mum to suffer that, so always gave in and went.

It was many years before I realised that it was the School 'Board' Man!
    Forum Member
    Remembering lots now!

Whenever I tried to skive a day off of school (often!), Mum would threaten me that she'd have the 'School Ball Man' after her.

This terrified me. I imagined a man like a monster, with a ball for a head, specially sent out to scare parents into making sure their kids went to school.

It was many years before I realised that it was the School 'Board' Man!

My mum always went on about the 'School Board' - I found it very confusing - never knew what to make of it - she said he used to cycle round on a bike, I imagined him carrying a big board with lots of names on it.
    Forum Member
    My mum always went on about the 'School Board' - I found it very confusing - never knew what to make of it - she said he used to cycle round on a bike, I imagined him carrying a big board with lots of names on it.

The things they threatened us with! :p

Thinking about it now, it was either my Mum's Cockney accent that I misheard - or that she didn't know what it meant either. :D
  • OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family are all Irish Roman Catholics, from Derry. My Dad is an English Protestant, and I was also christened (though not religious at all). It was a big deal for my Irish cousins when we went to visit, so being an impressionable nipper, I thought it was too.
    Only, I wasn't so clear on the word Protestant. When my primary school teacher asked us to say something about ourselves, I announced I was a prostitute, like my daddy.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to think the Queen and Margaret Thatcher were sisters.
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was very young, a little girl's 'bits' would be referred to as a tuppence or tuppy. One day, my aunty said she was going to have a Tupperware party. My cousin and I hadn't a clue what this was and seriously thought she was going to host a party where small girls would parade naked. We were so upset about it, we burst into tears.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I thought llama's weren't real, my parents tricked me :D
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought guerilla (sp?) warfare meant that gorillas were fighting humans.

I thought police dogs were called 'Allerstations' because they lived at the police station.

I also thought touching a dandelion would make me wet the bed.

My daughters little friend always said her Grandad lived in Devon. I found out much later that he was actually dead and in 'Heaven'.
  • amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just love these kind of things, they always make me laugh!

I can't remember any myself, but my Mother has loads that she has believed and not just in childhood!!! :blush:

She has out and out arguments that she is right, like she thought mango chutney was chuckney!

David Bowie's song was ground control to major TONK!! Not Tom, Tonk, she really argued that point with me and this was the days before google!

In cats she thought magical mr mistoffelees was magical mystery stories.

In greys anatomy there's this thing where one of the Dr's likes ferry boats, they are featured quite a lot through the whole of the series and there was even a ferry boat huge accident and he wears a cap with ferry boats on it.
    Last year she asked me what fairy boats were, I asked her what she meant by fairy boats and she said they always talk about fairy boats, over ten years of a show and she never got that they were talking about ferries!! ^_^
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to think babies came out of your belly button.

My mum told me that the ice cream can was only for children whose parents couldn't afford their own ice cream.

My brother used to think that all black men were called Frank Bruno, and I used to think a "black cab driver" meant the driver was black, not the cab.
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the song, Indiana Wants Me, I thought R. Dean Taylor was singing the line, "I'm a-shagging you, to talk to." I know what it is now.
  • Morgan66Morgan66 Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought lamb chops came from the cheeks of lambs and candyfloss was little pink trees.
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    My son used to sing:

Treat me right, treat me good, treat me like you know you should
    Cause I don't have a wood grandpa.

LOL!

My son thought Hitlers first name was Heil!