If you are English; Should Scotland be an independent country

Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
a simple yes or no.

If you are English do you think Scotland should be an independent country 119 votes

Yes, Scotland should be an independent country
64% 77 votes
No, Scotland should remain part of the UK
35% 42 votes

Comments

• smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    English, living in Scotland, a definite yes.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,547
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    a simple yes or no.

I can't give a simple yes or no. My view is that it should be up to the Scots themselves to decide - I'd support them either way.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what the breakdown is by political belief.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    I can't give a simple yes or no. My view is that it should be up to the Scots themselves to decide - I'd support them either way.

Why do you think the English shouldn't have a say in the make-up of the UK?

Don't the views of the English count?
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need a 'Don't Care' option too.

I, myself would be in that camp.

I'm of the opinion that if the Scots want to be independent, then they can go & be so & be properly independent too; or if they don't, then stay in the UK & get on with the rest of us.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I'm English and the decision is theirs to make, not mine.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree about it not being a simple yes/no, but it should be up to the people living in Scotland, not just the Scots.

Personally, I think we are better as a union, and I'm not entirely sure that a question that involves changes to the union shouldn't be put to the whole union.
    Forum Member

No, it's a matter for the Scots alone if they wish to break away. No point in forcing them to stay in the UK if they don't want to.
    Forum Member
    I agree about it not being a simple yes/no, but it should be up to the people living in Scotland, not just the Scots.

I agree. I was using the word as shorthand for people living in Scotland.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why should one country decide what another country can & can't do?

If the Scottish people voted for independence, we in England could still have had a United Kingdom minus the Scots.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's the, I don't care option?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I was using the word as shorthand for people living in Scotland.

I thought you were, I was really trying to clarify my own position :)
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by the results so far it looks like the English are keener on Scotland being independent than the Scots themselves were last autumn...meanwhile that's a matter for them not for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by the results so far it looks like the English are keener on Scotland being independent than the Scots themselves were last autumn...meanwhile that's a matter for them not for me.

One of the reasons Scottish people gave for voting against independence was the prospect of their country and economy being at the mercy Alex Salmond.

I imagine one of the reasons for English people voting for Scottish independence is the prospect of their country and economy being at the mercy Alex Salmond.
    Forum Member
    I imagine one of the reasons for English people voting for Scottish independence is the prospect of their country and economy being at the mercy Alex Salmond.

Or of Nicola Sturgeon perhaps. Unless the English think Alex is still in charge!
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the reasons Scottish people gave for voting against independence was the prospect of their country and economy being at the mercy Alex Salmond.

is he immortal?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or of Nicola Sturgeon perhaps. Unless the English think Alex is still in charge!

The two are both sides of the same coin. In fact if you look at Nicola she has the same head nodding style of address as Alex.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two are both sides of the same coin. In fact if you look at Nicola she has the same head nodding style of address as Alex.

No she doesn't. It's a different head nodding style.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's probably because although no longer the leader, he is standing for the Westminster constituency of Gordon and as such will be in the HoP, whereas Nicola Sturgeon is an MSP.
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you only asking the English? :confused:
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

An option that should have been in the poll.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why weren't the Welsh and Northern Irish included in the poll?

Edit, should have been addressed to the OP, sorry.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are all members of the UK so if anybody wants to leave the Union surely we should all be given a vote if all of the UK had of been given a vote on Scottish devolution, then i am pretty sure they would have been an independent nation by now.:)
    Forum Member
    It's probably because although no longer the leader, he is standing for the Westminster constituency of Gordon and as such will be in the HoP, whereas Nicola Sturgeon is an MSP.

He will be just one of many SNP MPs though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He will be just one of many SNP MPs though.

But certainly the one known the most by people living outside Scotland.