Options

Will Desmond purchase F1 rights for C5 & place commercial free coverage on Primetime?

RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Presuming it doesn't go to Sky and the BBC don't rebid is it a likely option?

It wouldn't cost anything apart from the admin costs* to run PPV commercial free coverage alongside commercially funded coverage on Channel 5.

There might even be more of an appetite for commercial free coverage if it comes straight off the BBC having it, rather than when F1 Digital+ was around and people may have grown to except the ads. It also has the advantage over F1 Digital + of being able to work with the terrestrial broadcaster to promote and lots of free press adverts.

Channel 5 also have Jim Rosenthal who could present it again.

*I'm sure I'm naive to some of the transmission costs of an extra channel.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could also lead for Desmond to go for things like full FA Cup packages showing some games on Channel 5 and heavily plugging some bigger games on Pay Per View.
  • Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPV could be good but freeview would be a problem!
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    And also, Bernie has made it clear so many times now, that he wants the sport FTA as do the teams, so Primetime would not be an option!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    And also, Bernie has made it clear so many times now, that he wants the sport FTA as do the teams, so Primetime would not be an option!
    The sport would remain free to air commercially funded Primetime would just give viewers the chance to watch it without the ads.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    The sport would remain free to air commercially funded Primetime would just give viewers the chance to watch it without the ads.

Yes i know that, but it wouldn't happen.
    When ITV had the rights, it was mooted they wanted to delay the coverage everytime they had an ad break and that was thrown out by Bernie, which would of provided full coverage jusst a few minutes behind and it wasn't allowed, so Channel5 with ad's and Primetime PPV ad free won't get the go ahead either.
    Nice idea, but no chance
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When ITV had the rights, it was mooted they wanted to delay the coverage everytime they had an ad break and that was thrown out by Bernie, which would of provided full coverage jusst a few minutes behind and it wasn't allowed, so Channel5 with ad's and Primetime PPV ad free won't get the go ahead either.
    Nice idea, but no chance
    F1 Digital + proves Bernie isn't going to reject such things.

If a 5/Primtime joint bid is say £10 Million more than an ITV one and the BBC don't bid, how could he say no.

Bernie probably didn't like the delayed coverage idea as he wanted his Sport to go out Live for the most part, that will still happen on Channel 5 with ads and Primetime without.
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    Nice idea, but no chance

RadioKnower's theory is different, Five would have have adverts like ITV have done it before, I don't think Bernie would be opposed to that

He was opposed to delaying the coverage, which wouldn't work in this day and age as people watch the races with live timing apps, follow live text commentaries and so on