The Spice Girls are 95% confirmed to perform for the London 2012 Closing Ceremony.

Comments

• HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They deserve it more than any other Britishmusic act of the last 20 years imo. True pop icons - brought a lot of money to the UK in their prime too! And they were part of what made Britain "cool" again in the 90's. Definitely deserved.

I just dont think they should sing "Wannabe". It should be "Spice Up Your Life" & Viva Forever.

For those saying Girls Aloud should be included... Apart from the fact that they arent even a 10th as successful as the Sg's were, nobody outside the UK & Ireland knows them. So no they shouldn't.

Girls Aloud had better songs, IMO. I think they would have been more well-known if they went down the same road as Spice Girls with the name and personality gimmick, thankfully they didn't . Girls Aloud also appealed more to adults.
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    Girls Aloud had better songs, IMO. I think they would have been more well-known if they went down the same road as Spice Girls with the name and personality gimmick, thankfully they didn't . Girls Aloud also appealed more to adults.

Viva Forever > Any Girls Aloud song
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Viva Forever > Any Girls Aloud song

In your opinion, of course. I think it's tediously boring.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE:

People who know me on the boards know that I can usually be trusted in the matters of Spice and I don't mean to alarm you but I do believe that this is going to be confirmed shortly.

Well, put it this way, I have heard from an extremely reliable source that all five have now officially agreed.

Just sit tight. Exciting!

Do you ever get the feeling that you're wasting your life, Kenny?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In your opinion, of course. I think it's tediously boring.

Of course :-)

I do like a lot of Girls Aloud's songs actually.

But it's kind of like comparing A1 to The Beatles.

Anyway, back to The Spice Girls...

Geri is planning on wearing a Union Jack dress, the trouble is, the original is displayed at The Hard Rock Cafe Museum in Las Vegas so it's a bit tricky. I think they would allow her to loan it but she would likely need to make alterations so..

I wasn't keen on the Cavalli re-recreation in 2007..

Would be kind of epic to see her back in the original lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Do you ever get the feeling that you're wasting your life, Kenny?

Not a jot!

I'm very contented. You?

I'm lucky to be in a position where I am able to let other Spice Girls' fans know certain things whenever possible.

The thankyou PMs and messages of appreciation really make up for the odd nasty comment here and there from folks like you.

Sharing with others is good for your soul, you should try it.
  • Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For those saying Girls Aloud should be included... Apart from the fact that they arent even a 10th as successful as the Sg's were, nobody outside the UK & Ireland knows them. So no they shouldn't.

That's total rot and you know it.

Spice Girls - how many albums did they release?

Girls Aloud - how many albums have they released?

Spice Girls - how many hit singles did they have?

Girls Aloud - how many hit singles have they had?

The facts speak for themselves. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis C wrote: »
    That's total rot and you know it.

Spice Girls - how many albums did they release?

Girls Aloud - how many albums have they released?

Spice Girls - how many hit singles did they have?

Girls Aloud - how many hit singles have they had?

The facts speak for themselves. :)

You're being ironic I presume...

The Spice Girls sold 75 Million records.

Girls Aloud have sold around 10 Million at best.

Nobody of sound mind would try to argue that Girls Aloud were more successful than The Spice Girls. It's absurd.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharing with others is good for your soul, you should try it.

I don't know, I doubt I could compete with you when it comes to sharing with others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nobody of sound mind would try to argue that Girls Aloud were more successful than The Spice Girls. It's absurd.

They were not as successful at longevity as a group though. ;)

So a flash in the pan vs solid music career.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were not as successful at longevity as a group though. ;)

So a flash in the pan vs solid music career.

The fame that burns twice as bright burns half as long..

I would be more proud of being part of a global phenomenon seeing Beatlesque levels of fame in every major music market on the globe than a small-time act peddling out a string of top 10 records over a slightly longer period of time in one country.

Let's see if Girls Aloud are making the front pages around the world after almost 20 years every time there is a whisper of a reunion project. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    I don't know, I doubt I could compete with you when it comes to sharing with others.

Well I could never make that judgement as I know nothing about you, who you work for, what you do etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fame that burns twice as bright burns half as long..

I would be more proud of being part of a global phenomenon seeing Beatlesque levels of fame in every major music market on the globe than a small-time act peddling out a string of top 10 records over a slightly longer period of time in one country.

Let's see if Girls Aloud are making the front pages around the world after almost 20 years every time there is a whisper of a reunion project. :D

Almost 20 years? A long way off 20 years. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost 20 years? A long way off 20 years. :D

1996 - 2012.

16 years...

almost 20.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Alexandra Burke fans were flippin deluded... Spice Girls fans take it to another level.

Some people actually believe they were on the same level as The Beatles:o It takes more than a bunch of stupid little 12 year olds jumping around their living room to "Spice Up Your Life" to become as iconic as The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd etc.

Not to mention a crap load of talent... Spice Girls were nothing but a marketing machine thrown together. All outfits and no talent;) Which is exactly why McCartney is the one going round the world still selling out stadiums whilst out of the five spice girls... only one has had a big career, which wasn't even in music:D The rest seem to make regular appearances alongside other fellow z-listers on Celebrity Juice;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Alexandra Burke fans were flippin deluded... Spice Girls fans take it to another level.

Some people actually believe they were on the same level as The Beatles:o It takes more than a bunch of stupid little 12 year olds jumping around their living room to "Spice Up Your Life" to become as iconic as The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd etc.

Not to mention a crap load of talent... Spice Girls were nothing but a marketing machine thrown together. All outfits and no talent;) Which is exactly why McCartney is the one going round the world still selling out stadiums whilst out of the five spice girls... only one has had a big career, which wasn't even in music:D The rest seem to make regular appearances alongside other fellow z-listers on Celebrity Juice;)

Agree, agree, agree!!!!:)
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday it was Madonna who was the greatest thing since sliced bread and today its the Spice Girls.:yawn:

Ever heard of respecting the opinion of others?
  • Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly wouldn't want to criticise anyone else's taste,but seriously,discussing the relative musical "talents" of the Spice Girls and Girls Aloud seems about as relevant as debating whether you would rather punch David Cameron or George Osbourne.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly wouldn't want to criticise anyone else's taste,but seriously,discussing the relative musical "talents" of the Spice Girls and Girls Aloud seems about as relevant as debating whether you would rather punch David Cameron or George Osbourne.

Correct.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1996 - 2012.

16 years...

almost 20.

You wouldn't say a 16 year old is almost 20, nor a 26 year old as almost 30. So 16 is not almost 20 at all, it's one year past 15. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Depends what you mean by 'same level' as The Beatles.

in terms of music, longevity, talent, ability, credibility. Of course not.

However, the level of hysteria, speed of sale, widely spread commercial success, breaking America, iconic symbolism, the dolls, the films.... yes.

The Beatles comparisons have been happening since 1996. Get used to it.

It's not 'deluded' to compare the Spice phenomenon to Beatlemania. If it is then Paul Gambucini, Oprah Winfrey, Rosie O'Donnell, Jay Leno, Barbara Walters, David Sinclair, The BBC, The Brit Awards, TIME, Rolling Stone Magazine, The Guardian, The Independant must all be deluded too..

and as a side note, does Ringo still do the voice over for Thomas The Tank Engine? Fame can be a fickle mistress to us all!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nobody mentioned talent.

Swap Melanie C with Cheryl Cole and Girls Aloud could out sing the Spice Girls - and then some.

But in terms of the differing levels of success of each group. there is no discussion to be had.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what you mean by 'same level' as The Beatles.

in terms of music, longevity, talent, ability, credibility. Of course not.

However, the level of hysteria, speed of sale, widely spread commercial success, breaking America, iconic symbolism, the dolls, the films.... yes.

The Beatles comparisons have been happening since 1996. Get used to it.

It's not 'deluded' to compare the Spice phenomenon to Beatlemania. If it is then Paul Gambucini, Oprah Winfrey, Rosie O'Donnell, Jay Leno, Rolling Stone Magazine, Barbara Walters and David Sinclair, The BBC, The Brit Awards, TIME, The Guardian, The Independant must all be deluded too..

and as a side note, does Ringo still do the voice over for Thomas The Tank Engine?

But just because something is popular doesn't automatically mean that it has any artistic merit(or in the case of the two groups in question,in tune).
    For example,Simon Cowell is a multi-squillionaire,and has flooded the market with his hideous offerings for ages,but no-one could seriously argue that any of his acts had actually produced anything resembling music.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Boys, boys, boys! Calm down. It's like arguing which is worse, chlamidia or gonohorrea! Both groups have had a couple of good pop songs, but neither mediocrity is worthy of that kind of girlyfight!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody mentioned talent.

Swap Melanie C with Cheryl Cole and Girls Aloud could out sing the Spice Girls - and then some.

But in terms of the differing levels of success of each group. there is no discussion to be had.

I would have thought that at least a modicum of talent would be required if this is who has been chosen to represent our musical legacy to the world.