"Not everyone in Take That could sing." -Geri Halliwell

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    There is a quiet one in Take That who has never sung a note on his own. So she's right. All the Spices sang and, indeed, released solo material.

That's not true, I guess you're talking about Jason Orange, he always sings a song completely solo on their Albums. He sings Wooden Boat on Wonderful World and he sings How Did it come to this on Circus and he sings the secret song on Progress
  • HelenSnowflakeHelenSnowflake Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    kenny12 wrote: »
    As a member of the best-selling girl group in the history of music and as an iconic part of global pop culture history she has the privilege of being able to say whatever she damn well likes about other, lesser acts.

She's earned it.

And it's true.

Take That seem to be adored in the UK( As an American who has just never really 'got it' - we had the likes of Backstreet Boys, who were much better, to rival The Spice Girls back in the day) and Gary held up as some kind of song writing prodigy.
    But I'll say it again.. it's strange that such an amazing songwriter didn't manage to write enough good songs to forge a successful solo career.

Which leads me to suspect that it's the group that people (mostly frustrated housewives) are interested in because they fancy Gary and his backing dancers.

Geri has clawed her way to the top - became probably the most famous female pop star in the world in the 90's and then went on to sell 12 million solo records.

He would do well to sit down and take note of her comments and advice. It's like Elvis Presley giving notes to Cliff Richard. Just take it.

Not too sure when the last time was that Geri Haliwell wrote a tune that got credited with an Ivor Novello or wrote various film scores...
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Britney Spears says hi.

Britney is a mime act now, but look at her at the start of her career. Look at her Star Search performances, her 1998/9 live vocals.
    She had a powerful (if slightly unpredictable) voice.
    She got her record deal and initial success because she could sing well live and convey emotion whilst dancing incredibly well at the same time. Quite rare.

Of course it's easy to call her a mime act now - because she basically is. But that's not how she got to this stage.

Next!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too sure when the last time was that Geri Haliwell wrote a tune that got credited with an Ivor Novello or wrote various film scores...

If I could repeat myself... if Gary Barlow was such a talented songwriter, why didn't he manage to write himself a successful solo career?

Geri has sold 12 million records as a solo artist.

:)
  • HelenSnowflakeHelenSnowflake Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    The constant press blasting from Robbie didn't help. Around about that time him and Geri were involved in some kind of showmance too.

Geri may be a solo artist who sold more than Gary but she solely relied on hype and a great PR team to get her through plus two high profile romances (Chris Evans and Williams) didn't harm the bank balance when a single was out either.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I could repeat myself... if Gary Barlow was such a talented songwriter, why didn't he manage to write himself a successful solo career?

Geri has sold 12 million records as a solo artist.

:)

Good songwriting doesn't mean a successful album. Some of Gary's solo singles (didn't buy the albums) were brilliant and just as well written as TT material. People just weren't into him at that stage, nothing to do with writing.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The constant press blasting from Robbie didn't help. Around about that time him and Geri were involved in some kind of showmance too.

Geri may be a solo artist who sold more than Gary but she solely relied on hype and a great PR team to get her through plus two high profile romances (Chris Evans and Williams) didn't harm the bank balance when a single was out either.

Or for some fans like myself, they simply liked her music. No big PR exercise to brainwash us into buying it.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    At least every member of The Spice Girls did sing.

I have never heard at least one member of Take That sing.. And I wish I hadn't heard a couple of the others! The one with the lisp and the little chap. Awful.

Howard sings lead and always has done on their anthem, Never Forget.
    There is a quiet one in Take That who has never sung a note on his own. So she's right. All the Spices sang and, indeed, released solo material.

Jason sang solo and live on the tour before last.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Britney Spears says hi.

As does madonna - I went to a oncert of hers hers ago. She badly mimed 90% of it, then the 10% se did sing made s wish shed mimed that too. :) shocking.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    She's right. Bit rich coming from a Spice Girl, but she's right.
  • ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Victoria have any solos during the Spice Girls?

I read she was the only who didn't have a solo slot on there recent reunion tour.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she was a right bitch saying that. Gary said "Don't even go there" and rightly so, that's so insulting. Especially coming from a sodding Spice Girl.

Even Mark Owen with his sometimes croaky voice adds great sounds to Take That songs and he writes really good songs.

Saying they "can't" sing is a bit extreme. They can all hold a note and sing quite well. So what if their voices aren't perfect x-factor standard, at least they never mime like she does.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkWoEBu2GM4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRnYawSYa4c
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrubber wrote: »
    I think she was a right bitch saying that. Gary said "Don't even go there" and rightly so, that's so insulting. Especially coming from a sodding Spice Girl.

Even Mark Owen with his sometimes croaky voice adds great sounds to Take That songs and he writes really good songs.

Saying they "can't" sing is a bit extreme. They can all hold a note and sing quite well. So what if their voices aren't perfect x-factor standard, at least they never mime like she does.

I think her point was that Gary was turning down a group on the spot on the basis of them not being the best singers despite his words being applicable to two or three members of Take That. It could be said about the Spice Girls too, yes, but Geri wasn't the one turning them down so there's really nothing hypocritical about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think her point was that Gary was turning down a group on the spot on the basis of them not being the best singers despite his words being applicable to two or three members of Take That. It could be said about the Spice Girls too, yes, but Geri wasn't the one turning them down so there's really nothing hypocritical about it.

She also stated to Gary afterwards "I couldn't sing at the start of my career but I can now... when you started two of your members couldn't f*cking sing!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

but that group was terrible. they sounded aweful! and on the x factor, if you even make it to the lives, then you have to be able to sing live every week. it's not like they can do some vocals in a recording booth and use technology to make it all ok.

if you don't say no to the sh*t ones what's the point? she only liked them because they sang a spice girls song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scamrasc wrote: »
    but that group was terrible. they sounded aweful! and on the x factor, if you even make it to the lives, then you have to be able to sing live every week. it's not like they can do some vocals in a recording booth and use technology to make it all ok.

if you don't say no to the sh*t ones what's the point? she only liked them because they sang a spice girls song.

I get that, I was saying that in pointing out that Take That has and had members who can't sing very well she wasn't trying to big up Spice Girls by comparison or run them down for no reason; it had a context.

I wouldn't have put her through but I do see her point and I don't understand why some people have taken it so seriously. Whatever the case it was nice to see someone shake up Gary because too often the judges just seem to roll over in order to accommodate his ego. If he's going to be that smug then they might as well get someone who can annoy the crap out of him.

Gosh, I so want Geri permanently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a member of the best-selling girl group in the history of music and as an iconic part of global pop culture history she has the privilege of being able to say whatever she damn well likes about other, lesser acts.

She's earned it.

And it's true.

Take That seem to be adored in the UK( As an American who has just never really 'got it' - we had the likes of Backstreet Boys, who were much better, to rival The Spice Girls back in the day) and Gary held up as some kind of song writing prodigy.
    But I'll say it again.. it's strange that such an amazing songwriter didn't manage to write enough good songs to forge a successful solo career.

Which leads me to suspect that it's the group that people (mostly frustrated housewives) are interested in because they fancy Gary and his backing dancers.

Geri has clawed her way to the top - became probably the most famous female pop star in the world in the 90's and then went on to sell 12 million solo records.
    He would do well to sit down and take note of her comments and advice. It's like Elvis Presley giving notes to Cliff Richard. Just take it.

Where are you getting this figure? She has had three solo records, the first one did well more likely because it was after her shock departure from the band and they were still going at that point - was a curiosity more than value purchase. Her next two albums had really reduced sales (about 150,000 and 5000). Not sure where the 12 mil comes in, she's not even close from what I can see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member

Listen to Take That song The Garden he has a solo in that he's quite good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlxNyHS3Ok
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handers wrote: »
    Where are you getting this figure? She has had three solo records, the first one did well more likely because it was after her shock departure from the band and they were still going at that point - was a curiosity more than value purchase. Her next two albums had really reduced sales (about 150,000 and 5000). Not sure where the 12 mil comes in, she's not even close from what I can see.

Then go and do some research. She has sold that its been confirmed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree with you. Shes a hard worker who done alot of heavy lifting in her career. She wrote all of her own stuff apart form IRM. So i think that hype PR label fits a different judge.