Forum Member
    Btw there is a reason I made this GIF a while back-

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/jabbamk1/b_zpstxavka7k.gif
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    They're Spanish.......?

And they're not leaving the UK yet.

Can people please get educated on what's going on. No one is merging with anyone yet.

Whilst I have been somewhat negative towards this, it would be foolish to assume anything. This deal comparative to the BT/EE tie up will have to stand up to a lot more scrutiny, OFCOM/Government/CMA will want to have their input before it reaches the European Commission's desk (although they are the final arbiter in deals like this).

Market Impact assessments amongst a whole host of other stuff like a fall in revenue for the treasury, spectrum portfolio to the potential unwinding of Cornerstone/MBNL.

This merger is a long way from completion, it will be bumpy that much I do know.
  • ZebbZebb Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O5 will be the biggest and best Sino-Iberian collaborative venture ever. The lawyers, bureaucrats and paper pushers will become filthy rich. :kitty:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    binary wrote: »
    I can see every reason why it might have an effect on MBNL and indeed Cornerstone.
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Market Impact assessments amongst a whole host of other stuff like a fall in revenue for the treasury, spectrum portfolio to the potential unwinding of Cornerstone/MBNL.

This merger is a long way from completion, it will be bumpy that much I do know.
    Key to highlight this is in Three's press release not as a merger but an acquisition.

I'm interested in both of your loose predictions as to the landscapes with MBNL/Cornerstone in say 2 years.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    KrisSilver wrote: »
    Key to highlight this is in Three's press release not as a merger but an acquisition.

I'm interested in both of your loose predictions as to the landscapes with MBNL/Cornerstone in say 2 years.

If O2 stays as its own unique brand then yes it will be an acquisition, however I suspect it won't be, looking to what they have done in Ireland its right to assume it will be a merger. Hutchison won't want to have more than one network brand. Its for that reason why I think it is going to be difficult to get approval. BT/EE and Vodafone still have a part to play in this before it all pans out. Not forgetting the domestic and european regulators who will look at this with close scrutiny.

Take it for what it is, a proposal to buy/merge/acquire, due dilligence has a part to play.

I just worry for all those who work for O2 in this country, especially in the call centres. That will be the first thing offshored, sadly Hutchison will only care about reducing overheads and improving its bottom line. They don't have good history when it comes buying businesses in this country, least of all how much it takes out of the UK not putting back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    If O2 stays as its own unique brand then yes it will be an acquisition, however I suspect it won't be, looking to what they have done in Ireland its right to assume it will be a merger. Hutchison won't want to have more than one network brand. Its for that reason why I think it is going to be difficult to get approval. BT/EE and Vodafone still have a part to play in this before it all pans out. Not forgetting the domestic and european regulators who will look at this with close scrutiny.

Take it for what it is, a proposal to buy/merge/acquire, due dilligence has a part to play.

I just worry for all those who work for O2 in this country, especially in the call centres. That will be the first thing offshored, sadly Hutchison will only care about reducing overheads and improving its bottom line. They don't have good history when it comes buying businesses in this country, least of all how much it takes out of the UK not putting back.

It’s an increasingly complicated picture to try and predict but in my mind joint ventures like MBNL and Cornerstone could feasibly be even more vital in regulators eyes. I was just interested in views to the contrary. I’m sure I read something suggesting Three want to use their brand and not O2’s.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Probably the NI version of "it doesn't work in my house so it doesn't work anywhere"

You read my mind. :D

I should add, as no-one appears to have mentioned this quite yet, if this all goes through, wouldn't this mean Three customers going back to 'roaming' on O2's 2G network once again (outside 3G areas)? Quite the step back in time eh.

Anyway,
    Don't Panic

Like the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy says on the cover Don't Panic :o

They are only in talks and it may lead to nothing. The deal is also subject to approval by shareholders and regulators.

These things take a very long time. Integration does not happen over night. Just look at how long Orange and T-Mobile took. The merger was announced in September 2009 and completed in April 2010. Roaming between both networks was available to everyone in October 2010 but did not include 3G data which didn't happen till October 2011. So that's pretty much 1 year for partial integration and 2 years for full integration.

I was in the Three store today and the guy said they got an email in telling them about it and even if it does get approval nothing will really happen till the middle of 2016 which seems about right.

So keep calm. Its not a done deal. If you are signing up for a 2 year contract then you may see changes in 2016 and bigger changes in 2017.

Coldplay - Don't Panic

:)

Excellent advice. Nothing's going to happen overnight - I remember how long it took to switch from using O2's 2G to Orange's 2G as fall-back, so all this (should it all go through of course) will take a fair bit longer.

Nevertheless, I'm sure several people will overheat quite a bit (one way or the other) before they realise this. :)
  • Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delete
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigpete15 wrote: »
    O2 may have very good coverage on 2g but their 3G is nowhere near the coverage and speed of 3 or EE in Northern Ireland.
    After 2 years of investment by EE and 3 the MBNL 3G network now covers 95% of the northern Ireland population.
    Would be interesting to know what area your in as your experience is the opposite of mine.

I'm mid Ulster near Lough Neagh. No signal at all and even the coverage checker says the same. In to town no problem.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    EE and Three use 1800MHz.....?

EE and Three will both use 800MHz?

What's your point?

Unless you mean EE has 4G in more places right now.

Well provided Three set up 4G on both 800mhz and another frequency that I can actually get, then all will be well, but there is always all this talk of Three just rolling out 800mhz, which is no good to me.

As for EE, they are already up and running 4G in my town on a frequency I can get so no problem with them apart from their prices and lack of unlimited data.

The point in this thread was that if takeover goes ahead, then Three will have even more 800mhz masts which of no use to me.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lost boy wrote: »

Nevertheless, I'm sure several people will overheat quite a bit (one way or the other) before they realise this. :)

Surly though, this is the whole point of reading and taking part in these and other forums, debating rumours and half truths, trying to guess what will happen in the future. I'd not we may as well lock them down and wait for the press releases...
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well provided Three set up 4G on both 800mhz and another frequency that I can actually get, then all will be well, but there is always all this talk of Three just rolling out 800mhz, which is no good to me.

As for EE, they are already up and running 4G in my town on a frequency I can get so no problem with them apart from their prices and lack of unlimited data.

The point in this thread was that if takeover goes ahead, then Three will have even more 800mhz masts which of no use to me.

I just left EE and I will be honest even in my back of beyond location I got 4G 90% of the time, EE coverage was darn good.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

But Three haven't even started rolling out 800Mhz.

They're using 1800Mhz which is the EXACT same frequency that EE use.....

And EE also will be rolling out 800MHz

Also a takeover takes years to complete. Nothing is finalised. No one knows what'll happen. Three and O2 may not even merge.

Your point isn't valid at all.
  • Mr_DBMr_DB Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    KrisSilver wrote: »

As others have said, if it does happen it's got a very long way to go. Due diligence has to be done by HW first, then an offer has to be made and accepted (likely subject to further due diligence), then the various regulators/commissions/government bodies/etc will have their say - then if the sale goes ahead. At that point HW would simply also own O2, nothing more.

Whether HW merge their two companies in Three and O2, or not, makes little difference to the fact that this is an acquisition and not a merger. The term acquisition is a corporate term because this is HW wanting to buy O2 (likely with cold hard cash), and not a merger where both companies surrender their stock to form a new company with stock. It's not an indicator of what HW would do from an operational standing if it does end up owning two UK mobile networks.
    Forum Member
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    Surly though, this is the whole point of reading and taking part in these and other forums, debating rumours and half truths, trying to guess what will happen in the future. I'd not we may as well lock them down and wait for the press releases...

It's the fact that some people are making statements rather than predictions.

Look at "old endeavours" post as an example. He will move to EE from Three now because O2 use 800MHz and his phone doesn't support 800MHz.

This has nothing to do with anything. It won't even affect him in any way at all. Three use 1800MHz, as do EE. 4G will work on both EE and Three on his phone... but apparently now that Three will buy O2 he's ****ed.... apparently.....

Hint: He's not. He's over reacting.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    Surly though, this is the whole point of reading and taking part in these and other forums, debating rumours and half truths, trying to guess what will happen in the future.

Absolutely, I agree, I'm not trying to say otherwise.

The point I was getting at is that there's quite a difference between debating and overheating. I'm not going to give examples, but it's quite clear who's doing the former and who's doing the latter.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the fact that some people are making statements rather than predictions.

Look at "old endeavours" post as an example. He will move to EE from Three now because O2 use 800MHz and his phone doesn't support 800MHz.

This has nothing to do with anything. It won't even affect him in any way at all. Three use 1800MHz, as do EE. 4G will work on both EE and Three on his phone... but apparently now that Three will buy O2 he's ****ed.... apparently.....

Hint: He's not. He's over reacting.

The irony is Three will probably start using their 800MHz spectrum this year way before any network integration happens with O2.

I suspect also that conditions will force some of O2's spectrum to be sold, or the forced creation of an MNVO, something will have to be given as a sacrificial offering, it usually goes that way. As O2 own half of Tesco mobile I wonder if that will have to be sold off as part of the deal.

Another difficulty is the MBNL and Cornerstone situation and whether conditions will be attached to that.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    But Three haven't even started rolling out 800Mhz.

They're using 1800Mhz which is the EXACT same frequency that EE use.....

And EE also will be rolling out 800MHz

Also a takeover takes years to complete. Nothing is finalised. No one knows what'll happen. Three and O2 may not even merge.

Your point isn't valid at all.

Yes but now look at all the posts on this very forum stating the upcoming rollout of 800mhz by Three. Seems far more importance is being put of getting that out (or will be) than anything else. As I said, that's fine if they supply 4G on both but they way everyone on here is going on about Three's up and coming 800mhz roll-out and not bothering with anything else, it's not OK at all.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but now look at all the posts on this very forum stating the upcoming rollout of 800mhz by Three. Seems far more importance is being put of getting that out (or will be) than anything else. As I said, that's fine if they supply 4G on both but they way everyone on here is going on about Three's up and coming 800mhz roll-out and not bothering with anything else, it's not OK at all.

Why not? 800MHz allows them to get good coverage, cheaply and easily in rural areas, and adds capacity in urban areas.

I think the sale of 800MHz has been known for some time before it happened, and it's not 3's problem if you have the model of iPhone 5 that can't do 800MHz 4G. I think basically every phone that has been advertised as supporting Europe 4G has been able to do 800 and 1800.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's ok if you have a phone that supports both bands, the vast majority of legitimate UK sold phones, rather than self imports all support the UK official bands.
    Forum Member

You do realise I'm the one who's posting about Three rolling out 4G.
    You do realise that I'm the ONLY one who posted about Three's 800Mhz plans before anyone else.

So you're using my own posts against me....?

That doesn't seem right does it.

I'm not going to bother replying after this post as you don't seem to understand what I'm getting at.

I will say for the last time that Three are using 1800MHz for their roll out. Your phone supports that. EE are also using 1800MHz for their roll out. Your phone supports that.

Both EE and Three will be rolling out 800MHz as well. Your phone doesn't support that.
    Three aren't exclusively rolling out 800MHz, they are using 1800MHz as well. And EE aren't exclusively rolling out 1800MHz, they are using 800MHz as well.

So unless you're switching to EE because of the headstart on 4G they had, (which you don't seem to be based on your argument above of three rolling out 800MHz) then you have no point and don't have an understanding of what 4G is and how it's rolled out.

If you honestly think that your phone won't work on Three because of their 800MHz roll out then you should think the same about EE. Your point makes no literal sense.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope this deal doesn't go through. Less competition means they're free to increase prices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I really hope this deal doesn't go through. Less competition means they're free to increase prices.

They'll still be 3 MNOs, Vodafone, BT and Three, plus all the MVNOs reselling, Google are launching an MVNO is in the US and may do in other countries.

Prices are going to rise anyway because of the cost of building data networks which can carry the kind of data people want, a reduction by 1 operator will have a small effect, but I suspect those 3 will all be fighting it out.
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Three's data speed doesn't drop as a result of all the extra customers from o2. Remember, when Orange and T Mobile formed EE they had to decommission some cell sites in the interest of competition.
    Forum Member
    carguy143 wrote: »
    I hope Three's data speed doesn't drop as a result of all the extra customers from o2. Remember, when Orange and T Mobile formed EE they had to decommission some cell sites in the interest of competition.

And now EE have the largest and fastest 3G/4G network in the UK.....

So not sure what you're getting at?