Options

Council replacing streetlights

_ben_ben Posts: 5,758
Forum Member
The council have been replacing the yellow sodium streelights round here with white LED ones. They come along and saw the top off the concrete posts and then lower an inverted L shaped metal bracket onto the stump. However there are a few that they haven't been able to do because they're totally buried in tree branches. I'm curious as to what councils do in this situation, do they prune people's trees themselves or hassle the home owner to do it, or do they just leave it?

Comments

• Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    where i live there are 3 street lights not working you are lucky to have streetlights
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    _ben wrote: »
    The council have been replacing the yellow sodium streelights round here with white LED ones. They come along and saw the top off the concrete posts and then lower an inverted L shaped metal bracket onto the stump. However there are a few that they haven't been able to do because they're totally buried in tree branches. I'm curious as to what councils do in this situation, do they prune people's trees themselves or hassle the home owner to do it, or do they just leave it?

I'm pretty sure that the Highways Act requires residents to ensure that their trees don't obstruct roads, pavements, footpaths, signs or street lights, so the Council can request owners to comply. The owners then have a set period of time to prune the trees, otherwise the Council will come along, do the job and bill the house owner for the work.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have done the same here to all the lights.
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yous have concrete street lights? Never seen any like that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Yous have concrete street lights? Never seen any like that?

They looked like this to start with

Then when they'd sawed the top off and put the metal sleeve on they look like this (these are just photos I found on the internet)

There's even a video on youtube showing part of the process here, the new sleeve can be seen lying on the ground. I have to say, the one I saw being done looked a good deal more entertaining than this. Instead of a gentle upward pull, the crane was applying a lot of sideways tension so that when the guy in the cherry picked cut through it, the top section went swinging violently across someone's front garden, narrowly missing their bedroom window, not helped by the fact that the crane also jerked sharply away to make sure it wouldn't swing back and hit the guy in the cherry picker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They just changed the bulbs in my area, they were not as old though.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The council here has replaced pretty much every light with LED.

They claim it's much more power efficient and gives them much greater control (the lamps receive commands over radio, rather than just a simple on-off timeswitch).

I don't think they have as much "projection" as sodium but I guess that is also an advantage in reduced light pollution
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    they`ve ripped out all the lovely old cast iron lamp posts and replaced them here too, led is horribly cold lighting.
  • Options
    ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny you should start this thread as it was only about 15 minutes ago that during a walk to the pub which I'm in now, I was pondering about something similar. I was walking through a newish housing estate which was built in phases where the older part has not sodium lights but energy efficient yellow bulb lights whereas the newest parts of the housing estate have those white LED street lights. There is a main road (with old sodium lights) going past that leads up to a roundabout and the two other main roads off the roundabout have the new LED street lighting installed whereas the roundabout still had the sodium lights, until I noticed tonight that those have now also been replaced with the LED type. Two lights on one side of one of the LED lit main roads I just mentioned about earlier are still sodium ones, but I expect they will be replaced shortly in the next month or two.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have replaced the concrete streetlamps round the corner with metal poles and white led lamps, not keen..... I suppose our road will be next
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They stuck LED ones on a cycle path, now all we get are shadows instead of decent lighting. Our council are also going to put them in the whole city now, useless things and that includes the LED lights as well.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would imagine that the council have contracted street lighting out and the contractor will only adhere strictly to the contract. Pruning back trees is unlikely to be part of the contract.
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They looked like this to start with

Then when they'd sawed the top off and put the metal sleeve on they look like this (these are just photos I found on the internet)

Ugly looking things them concrete ones.

I am guessing they are not allowed to pull them all down and replace them with new ones then?
  • Options
    ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    They stuck LED ones on a cycle path, now all we get are shadows instead of decent lighting. Our council are also going to put them in the whole city now, useless things and that includes the LED lights as well.

Many of my local cycle routes are now like that too and I love it. :cool:
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The council here have been replacing the street lights in my town for the last 2 years and are still doing so but they are replacing the whole thing not just sawing of the top.
    They say the new LED lights will save them money in the long term.
    I do think the new LED lights give of a brighter light then the old yellow ones.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They have done the same here to all the lights.

How do you like the new LED lights? The ones here are probably comparable to the old sodium lights in terms of how much light they cast on the road and pavement, but the overspill onto people's gardens and houses is now virtually non existent, it's a bit unnerving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you like the new LED lights? The ones here are probably comparable to the old sodium lights in terms of how much light they cast on the road and pavement, but the overspill onto people's gardens and houses is now virtually non existent, it's a bit unnerving.

They don't produce anymore light, about the same as standard bulbs, and none have failed yet over a year. The old ones were always failing and flickering outside our windows.

It looks very artificial though.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

we don`t get lighting on the cycle paths >:( and this hellhole is a lycra lover`s paradise.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did the same here last year although they replaced the entire pole rather than just the top. Some were removed altogether because the new lights are that much brighter. I pity anyone with one outside their bedroom.
    They don't sound like the same kind. Our LED street lights give out more illumination than the old ones. I have one outside my next door neighbour's and since they replaced it I've had to fit blackout curtains to my guest room.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    I thought all the Councils were skinty phoo's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Ugly looking things them concrete ones.

I am guessing they are not allowed to pull them all down and replace them with new ones then?

Probably just cheaper not to bother until they need to. I'm not a fan of the concrete ones, I once saw a car hit a concrete lamp post at modest speed outside a pub, it fell right across the pub doorway - could have killed someone! The metal ones just crumple and bend over a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bookcover wrote: »
    I thought all the Councils were skinty phoo's.
    Our council borrows the money from a non-profit specially set up for this sort of thing, then they pay it off out of the electricy savings they make.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we don`t get lighting on the cycle paths >:( and this hellhole is a lycra lover`s paradise.

Makes little difference anyway as I said it just causes shadows. I nearly knocked someone over last year when I was riding back from work as they was in the shadow. Thankfully my bike light is pretty bright and I just managed to see them in time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    They did the same here last year although they replaced the entire pole rather than just the top. Some were removed altogether because the new lights are that much brighter. I pity anyone with one outside their bedroom.They don't sound like the same kind. Our LED street lights give out more illumination than the old ones. I have one outside my next door neighbour's and since they replaced it I've had to fit blackout curtains to my guest room.

Ours looks like a metal plate stuck on a post and a grid of LED lights stuck in them.

Looks like something someone would knock up at home to be honest, looks cheap. they are also turning off lights at night now in certain areas and they say they will do that with LED ones as well. So the saving will be almost zero compared to normal light, I bet it cost more to put these things up than what they will save..

I wonder how many funny handshakes went around with that contract?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ours looks like a metal plate stuck on a post and a grid of LED lights stuck in them.
    Yah. Our LED street lights just look like very bright, white, street lights.