Would you consider the Shetlands to be the UK equivalent of Alaska?

ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I would, considering what I've read about the Shetlands in another thread! :eek:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No..Alaska has far more sever weather than the Shetlands.
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    No..Alaska has far more sever weather than the Shetlands.

But sunshine is apparently extremely scarce than the rest of the UK in both Shetlands and Alaska!
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both have oil offshore

Both share northerly positions in their respective homelands

...so in a sense - possibly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Both have oil offshore

Both share northerly positions in respective homelands

...so in a sense - possibly

Which would you rather live in given the choice and you absolutely had to pick one? I'd probably choose Shetlands.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which would you rather live in given the choice and you absolutely had to pick one? I'd probably choose Shetlands.

Couple of times in the past transitted Anchorage airport and the weather was dreadful at a time of year i wouldnt expect it to be.

So probably Shetland too:)
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alaska has far better firearms laws.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Alaska has far better firearms laws.

What?!?!?!? In what way?!?! How the hell can you say that when the US gun laws are screwed up? :eek:
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I would, considering what I've read about the Shetlands in another thread! :eek:

What other thread?

The Shetlands are tiny compared with Alaska and IMO there is no comparison in terms of weather for example.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    One has ponies which are nice, the other has polar bears and Sarah Palin which are not.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    What?!?!?!? In what way?!?! How the hell can you say that when the US gun laws are screwed up? :eek:

I imagine if you're living out in the wilds of Alaska, it makes sense to carry a gun or two. I would.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I imagine if you're living out in the wilds of Alaska, it makes sense to carry a gun or two. I would.

But in the wilds of the Shetland Isles all you need is a brolly to beat off the Bonxies :D
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do polar bears shit in the woods?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    What other thread?

The Shetlands are tiny compared with Alaska and IMO there is no comparison in terms of weather for example.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77627217&postcount=94

The comparison wasn't intended in terms of the sizes of the two territories.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shetlands, like their close neighbours, Orkney, are an integral part of Scotland so therefore are part of the UK. However, in certain ways, they are closer to Norway (certainly in distance) that they are to their own capital city (Edinburgh).
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Shetlands, like their close neighbours, Orkney, are an integral part of Scotland so therefore are part of the UK. However, in certain ways, they are closer to Norway (certainly in distance) that they are to their own capital city (Edinburgh).

That's a daft comparison as you are not comparing like with like and you could say something similar about the capital of most Countries on Earth in relation to parts of a neighbouring Country.

None of the main Shetland Islands is closer to any part of Norway's mainland (or any other Country) than to the Scottish mainland. I think that's still true even if you measure the distances from Muckle Flugga or Lamba Ness and the outlying islands of Norway.

Incidentally, Faroe Islands appear to be closer to both Shetland *and* mainland Britain than to Iceland, Norway or anywhere else! Perhaps they should be part of the UK then? Perhaps not though (Falklands! :o ).
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    None of the main Shetland Islands is closer to any part of Norway's mainland (or any other Country) than to the Scottish mainland. I think that's still true even if you measure the distances from Muckle Flugga or Lamba Ness and the outlying islands of Norway.

True - but I was comparing the distance from Lerwick to Edinburgh NOT to the mainland (i.e. the mainland of Scotland not the mainland of Shetland)

Besides, you can take Alaska's proximity to Russia as something to equate Shetland to Norway..............
  • Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »

Lerwick is 450 kilometres from Edinbrugh. Olso is 650 km from Lerwick.

Anglesea is closer to Dublin than it it to Cardiff.
  • Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    That's a daft comparison as you are not comparing like with like and you could say something similar about the capital of most Countries on Earth in relation to parts of a neighbouring Country.

Incidentally, Faroe Islands appear to be closer to both Shetland *and* mainland Britain than to Iceland, Norway or anywhere else! Perhaps they should be part of the UK then? Perhaps not though (Falklands! :o ).

Culturally speaking Orkney and Shetland share a very close relationship with Norway, they were part of Norway for around 600 years and almost all placenames are Norse in origin. In addition a language called Norn, a direct descendant of Old Norse, was spoken in Orkney and Shetland until relatively recently, the last speaker died in the mid-19th century. Also, the flags of Orkney and Shetland have a Nordic cross design. However far they are in terms of distance, the cultural links are undeniable.