Dog boots??

welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Our Scottie really suffers in this snowing weather when ever you take him out the snow sticks to the fur on his legs and he ends up with a cluster of snow balls on his legs and I was wondering if anyone had got their dogs boots to wear and how they got on with them

Comments

• jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get made-to-measure or regular boots from this company:

http://www.dogbootsactive.com/

I had a dog who only needed protection for one paw (due to an injury) as opposed to all four, but he got on really well with the one.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duncan should wear boots because of his allergy to grass and he is happy to let us put them on him - trouble is once they are on he is like an out of control windmill with flailing legs in all directions, he just cannot understand he needs to walk normally and thinks he has something stuck on his feet. It's quite funny to watch but no help what so ever with walking.

Best to try some before you buy unless you want some totally useless but funny booties. :D
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My previous dog had to wear boots outside for the last year or so of his life. He had badly deformed back legs and used to twist his feet as he walked. It got worse as he aged and he ended up cutting his pads open constantly, so the vet recommended getting him boots.

He wasn't particularly bothered by them apart from a bit of foot shaking at first to see if he could get them off and he was able to walk in them with no problems.We got him ones that fastened round his legs with velcro and they do have a tendency to slip off occasionaly, so you need to keep an eye on them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Our Scottie really suffers in this snowing weather when ever you take him out the snow sticks to the fur on his legs and he ends up with a cluster of snow balls on his legs and I was wondering if anyone had got their dogs boots to wear and how they got on with them

When ours cut his pad we bought a pair from the pet shop. It didn't bother him at all.

Our dog gets snowballs on his legs but they just melt off.

These are what we bought, quite cheap as well.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    When ours cut his pad we bought a pair from the pet shop. It didn't bother him at all.

Our dog gets snowballs on his legs but they just melt off.

our Scottie just sit's down when he feels the snowballs have got to big and waits for you to get rid of them - this is what his feet end up looking like

http://twitpic.com/txmaq
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    our Scottie just sit's down when he feels the snowballs have got to big and waits for you to get rid of them - this is what his feet end up looking like

http://twitpic.com/txmaq

Amended my post. These are what we used but plenty if you google to suit your Scottie. I have an Alsation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Amended my post. These are what we used but plenty if you google to suit your Scottie. I have an Alsation.

Thanks will get some cheap ones and see how he gets on with them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member

We have a scottie too :)

I know exactly what you mean about the snowballs:confused:
    I thought about buying him some boots but OH said no, wouldnt let me buy him a tartan coat either!
    men:rolleyes:
    Anyway, not sure he'd wear them!
    Trouble with scotties is their little skirt is just not practical.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tape food bags around his legs for when he's out

just had to do this for over a week with our collie because of a foot injury

good strong food bag & some duct tape, magic :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to get some on the way home from work not sure if they're long enough to stop the problem but they fit ok although he's not that impressed by them and is walking a bit peculiar in them let's see if he gets use to them