Options

Trivial things about movies that annoy you

Comments

• Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    My head is about the size of three or four regular heads. It's so big that my local milliner buys another yacht every time he sees my number on his phone.

So why is it that when I buy a new pair of headphones the smallest setting is still dropping below my ears and halfway down my neck?

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but from the maximum possible size on most headphones I can only assume the electronic manufacturers of the world are preparing to be overthrown by music-loving aliens with heads the size of my wardrobe.

WTF!! wrong thread I think.
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTF!! wrong thread I think.

Well spotted.

Drunken eyes struggle to differentiate between the movie annoyances and the general annoyances threads.
  • Options
    k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    Hollywood Homeliness; characters made out to be absolutely hideous or plain even though you can plainly see that they are perfectly attractive.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Over elaborate and overlong CGI movie company logos, especially when there are several at the start of a film - just get on with the bloody movie!
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over elaborate and overlong CGI movie company logos, especially when there are several at the start of a film - just get on with the bloody movie!

http://youtu.be/jn9LP0pqmwA

Bet you can identify with this then :)
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Pointless festival laurels plastered over posters and DVD covers. You often see a whole line of them running across.

Okay, if you're film was a big prize winner at Cannes or somewhere equally hi-falutin' then there's at least some reason for it.

But the generic likes of 'Toronto Film Festival' or 'Official Entry' look like they're trying to afford the film a perhaps unwarranted level of sophistication, as well as take advantage of those naive on the matter.

Any old rubbish can do this as long as it's played a few of these business/distributor shindigs. Stop it please.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    http://youtu.be/jn9LP0pqmwA

Bet you can identify with this then :)

That just sums it up perfectly :D
  • Options
    slats7slats7 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    buddy movies: friends at the start, some sort of falling out in the middle, friends at the end. See: 21/22 Jump Street.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    slats7 wrote: »
    buddy movies: friends at the start, some sort of falling out in the middle, friends at the end. See: 21/22 Jump Street.

Try every film ever produced by Judd Apatow. As much as I love him, they're all very formulaic...
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try every film ever produced by Judd Apatow. As much as I love him, they're all very formulaic...

...and too long, comedies rarely need to run longer than 90 minutes. Someone get him a decent editor.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you have a thriller or horror and a character (normally a female) is walking to their car at night and they turn round thinking they have been followed. you feel the slight relief on the character's behalf that they managed to get their car keys out and get in. But the person following them was always in the car waiting for them. How on earth do you break into a car anyway without any visible damage anyway?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    slats7 wrote: »
    On a similar vein of being formulaic.

A Tom Cruise movie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFal553wR3k
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already said I find hairstyles annoying which don't match the era in which the film is set but rather the era in which the film was made - today I watched one of my favourite war films: The Longest Day - it was a bit distracting to see the French resistance lady on a bike sporting a typical early 1960s bouffant hairstyle - the film was made in 1962. Why didn't they just look at some old photos?

Also some of the headwear seemed bit suspect - a back view of British bobby with a too small helmet. Some of the German's helmets looked a bit flat.

Also a lot of the British servicemen with a 'cor blimey guvnor' accent of which Dick Van Dyke would be proud - either posh or cockneys - that's us Brits......
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    I've already said I find hairstyles annoying which don't match the era in which the film is set but rather the era in which the film was made - today I watched one of my favourite war films: The Longest Day - it was a bit distracting to see the French resistance lady on a bike sporting a typical early 1960s bouffant hairstyle - the film was made in 1962. Why didn't they just look at some old photos?

Also some of the headwear seemed bit suspect - a back view of British bobby with a too small helmet. Some of the German's helmets looked a bit flat.

Also a lot of the British servicemen with a 'cor blimey guvnor' accent of which Dick Van Dyke would be proud - either posh or cockneys - that's us Brits......

Yeah, not like John Wayne, who carries on with a compound fracture of the ankle! Whataguy! And have you seen him throw away a cup of coffee when he hears the invasion is go? He throws that cup like a real man would. He didn't have time to put it down on the table, goddammit! There's a war on!

And I love the over-dramatic kiss that the French resistance lady shares with her beau as they set off to do some sabotage.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who park next to you when they don't need to.

I was parked in corner of a supermarket carpark, not even near the entrace & there were myriads of empty spaces at the time, yet some plonker of a woman chooses to park right next to me, in a 3dr car with its long door & then proceed to struggle to get out her car & then brushed my car with her door!

It was just a brush, so there was no damage, but why would someone do something so stupid?

Even if she liked my car so much & just wanted to be near it, she could have parked in the empty space two spaces away & just flung open her door without any issues.

Some people are just so stupid!
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    People who park next to you when they don't need to.

What film was that in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Yeah, not like John Wayne, who carries on with a compound fracture of the ankle! Whataguy! And have you seen him throw away a cup of coffee when he hears the invasion is go? He throws that cup like a real man would. He didn't have time to put it down on the table, goddammit! There's a war on!

And I love the over-dramatic kiss that the French resistance lady shares with her beau as they set off to do some sabotage.

The hell he is!

And why did the German soldier shout 'Stop' to the train (as if anyone could hear him) and not 'Halt' - as he had been speaking German (and a bit of French)

Still a brilliant film - but noticed no-one mentioned the Canadians who were there also doing their bit - rather a large bit.

ps Was watching something where a DDay vet actually did continue fighting with a cracked ankle- he was British.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    What film was that in?

D'oh!:blush:

My error; I thought it was trivial things that annoy you.

I missed the movie bit in the title.:blush::blush:
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    It's dark, in a house or in the woods, and the person knows there's somebody killing people. There's a sudden sound like a creak on the floor or a rustle of leaves and the person goes "Hello" then look around them and go "Hello is there anybody there"
    At this point my daughter is saying to the person on tv "will you just be quiet and hide"
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

Sean Connery playing an Irishman - why? He even disses a bagpipe player "It takes an Irishman to play the pipes".

I read recently that Richard Burton's part was a last-minute addition - he was filming 'Cleopatra' at the time and got fed up hanging around (probably while Liz Taylor went through make-up) so he phoned up the producers and asked for a role.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although, judging by most of these WWI dramas that have been on telly for the last year or so the revisionist view is that every British soldier spoke with a twangy estuary accent. Close your eyes in a British trench in 1914 and you could be forgiven for thinking that you were in a Student Union bar in 2014.

No one had a moustache back then either.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw a clip of a medieval-era character - chasing a baddie through a forest - gets knocked down by an arrow slamming into his thigh. After a moment of getting the wind knocked out of him, he yanks the arrow out of his thigh, gets up with a grunt, and resumes his chase with a limping run.

I laughed like a loon. No way that can happen.

All arrows from that period had arrowheads attached to shafts by wax, glue, breakable twine string, hole in an arrowhead or just a spit of saliva. Just so when someone pulls the arrow out, its shaft breaks away from its arrowhead that's firmly stuck within the muscles. That's what those ear tips of an arrowhead are for.

It's not so easy to push the arrow through the leg, either. The shaft tends to break when you push it forward. Plus, there's an issue with the arrowhead tangled with the muscles and the bones in the way.

The only way to get it out is to cut an incision in the affected area, pull the incision open, pull the shaft out, dig in deep into the muscles, shifting and pulling them apart until you reach the arrowhead, and pull out the arrowhead.

I don't think I have ever seen a film that gets it right with all things archery.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ...every British soldier spoke with a twangy estuary accent. Close your eyes in a British trench in 1914 and you could be forgiven for thinking that you were in a Student Union bar in 2014.
    Still going? I thought the whole estuary english thing was maybe a more late nineties/early noughties thing.

As for students, you're as likely to hear the soft, flat tones of the upper-middle these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still going? I thought the whole estuary english thing was maybe a more late nineties/early noughties thing.

As for students, you're as likely to hear the soft, flat tones of the upper-middle these days.

It's all very contemporary whichever way you slice it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some adaptations of Jane Austen's books make me cross - films and TV - there must have been a lot of half starved rural poor -where are they?