Options

Official Formula 1 Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Must admit, I kinda get the impression that Lewis is just "doing enough" rather than being in "maximum attack" mode, and that kind of thinking can bite you in the ass.

When he screwed up in his first run in Q3 his first instinct would probably be "Okay, gotta go again!" but, instead, it seemed like he just pulled it back into shape, made the best of it and seemed to think "Ah, that'll do".

Be interesting to see how Hamilton deals with things tomorrow.
    On the one hand, he's probably going to be wary of passing Rosberg but, OTOH, Rosberg will probably be going as slowly as possible, in the first couple of laps at least, to give Bottas and Massa a chance to pass.

Course, I can see that all getting a bit messy too cos even if Bottas or Massa do get past, Lewis should be able to retake the position(s) again which, if Rosberg is still trying to bunch them all up, means that Hamilton's going to be right back on his tail.

Only hope that, whatever happens, the championship is won on track rather than due to reliability or pitstop shenanigans.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    I have no doubt that Rosberg will do his best to help engineer a coming-together behind him, so yes he will probably try to bunch the field up. But if he overdoes it, it could backfire on him because someone is bound to try and pass him as well... not least of whom would be Hamilton but also the 2nd row cars.

Hamilton probably allowed Rosberg to take pole to stop him accidentally on purpose clipping his rear tyres again. I noticed though that Hamilton had to get a move on sharpish, when he heard how fast Bottas was going!
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Must admit, I kinda get the impression that Lewis is just "doing enough" rather than being in "maximum attack" mode, and that kind of thinking can bite you in the ass.

I think Lewis is taking the right approach here. There's no point in getting wound up tight now. If I'm honest, his laps all looked pretty scrappy - on the edge, and I feel this is him trying to find single lap pace on a more race orientated setup.

He was going for pole - but if he knows his setup isn't geared for outright quail pace, then why be worried when you're only a few tenths off? If I were Rosberg, I'd be really worried that my race sims were not just a little slower than Hamilton's., but whole seconds off and less consistent to boot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    I think Lewis is taking the right approach here. There's no point in getting wound up tight now. If I'm honest, his laps all looked pretty scrappy - on the edge, and I feel this is him trying to find single lap pace on a more race orientated setup.

He was going for pole - but if he knows his setup isn't geared for outright quail pace, then why be worried when you're only a few tenths off? If I were Rosberg, I'd be really worried that my race sims were not just a little slower than Hamilton's., but whole seconds off and less consistent to boot.

All fair points.

I suppose there's a lot to be said for being behind somebody who might be hoping to do something iffy.
    If you're ahead, you can only do what you think is right and try to see what he's up to in a couple of tiny mirrors whereas when you're behind you can see exactly what he's up to.
    And, of course, Lewis only needs to be behind.

I agree that Hamilton seemed a bit scrappy (as did Rosberg) but it was more the way that he didn't really seem to care about improving that made me think he had a sort of "Ah, that'll do" attitude to it all.

I just hope Lewis isn't thinking of pulling any kind of Senna '90 stunt.
    As he showed at Silverstone, this year, when you're trying to be devious you've got to be really good at it to make it work.
    Hamilton is better at being a balls-out racer and he needs to play to his strengths.

Kinda funny that Yas Marina doesn't seem to be one of Hamilton's favourite circuits.
    It seems like a fairly fast, straightforward, circuit where you can get big gains by attacking corners and you'd think that'd be right up his street and yet, for some reason, he always seems a bit uncomfortable there.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Discounting reliability, the only worry for Hamilton is Rosberg backing him up into the pack.

So the safest place for Hamilton might well be 3rd pace, early stages.
  • Options
    tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Red bulls disqualified from qualifying for illegal front wings start from the back of the grid
  • Options
    ati_qtimportaati_qtimporta Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    tonypennys wrote: »
    Red bulls disqualified from qualifying for illegal front wings start from the back of the grid

LOL

They won 4 championship that way and now, in the last GP of the season where they are not risking anything.....they are disqualified??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    This is just a bad joke....Oh my goodness!! >:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Horner looked a bit sheepish to me in his Inside F1 interview clip.
  • Options
    Forza FerrariForza Ferrari Posts: 7,433
    Forum Member
    http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2014/11/22/Semi-truck-jumps-over-Lotus-F1-and-sets-world-record/1301416683692/?spt=sec&or=on
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    Rosberg will pip Hamilton to the title.

The German robot always wins.

It is the way of the world.

You read it here first.

Don't worry everybody it's still a tap in from here. Lewis should still manage to pip his previously lesser favoured team at the last GP while driving one of the most dominant F1 cars in history.

There's no need to start the anti German comments yet.

Btw click this link for the best peice of F1 action in 2014. Oh yes they did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LOL

They won 4 championship that way and now, in the last GP of the season where they are not risking anything.....they are disqualified??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    This is just a bad joke....Oh my goodness!! >:(>:(>:(

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/red-bull-wings-deemed-illegal/?

Yip it's true. The rule has been that moveable areo parts are illegal but ok if they pass the flex test.

Williams frontwings have constantly been seen flexing on front facing on board camera. Mercedes put sensors on the car to make sure the wings flex.

Difference is Red Bull failed the flex test and so they have pushed it too far and get the penalty.
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So who do we think is favourite to be Alonso's team mate
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Which year?
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Which year?

Sorry. Next season of F1
  • Options
    scragendscragend Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    TheMask wrote: »
    So who do we think is favourite to be Alonso's team mate

Some bloke in endurance racing hopefully.

I would love it if Ron Dennis announced that his drivers next year were any two from Button, Magnussen and Vandoorne.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Apart from.very much hoping that Lewis, the consistently better racer, wins the championship, I just so hope it isn't decided by reliability issues in the final race.

Go, Lewis !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    scragend wrote: »
    Some bloke in endurance racing hopefully.

I would love it if Ron Dennis announced that his drivers next year were any two from Button, Magnussen and Vandoorne.

Perhapes Mark Webber.

Martin Brundle came up with an idea yesterday that Jenson Button might fancy staying on at Mclaren and taking on Alonso.

It made me think Alonso might find it funny to go to Mclaren on the biggest contract in history and then drive slower than Button.

Lets face it Mercedes have won the next two WDCs may as well make a big skin off of old Ron for the next couple if years. If you can screw Mclaren one more time to great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lets face it Mercedes have won the next two WDCs may as well make a big skin off of old Ron for the next couple if years. If you can screw Mclaren one more time to great.

Well, I guess that'd certainly demonstrate that an old dog can learn new tricks.

In this case, it's suggest that Alonso has learned, from Kimi, how to screw over an old employer in order to set yourself up nicely in your retirement. :D
  • Options
    TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nervous now. I just hope Lewis doesn't do something stupid. Come on Lewis!!!!
  • Options
    PandaPawPawPandaPawPaw Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    Not digging this music/speaking thing bit on SKY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nervous now. I just hope Lewis doesn't do something stupid. Come on Lewis!!!!

Don't worry they have fixed it to have the last GP of the year somewhere with zero gravel traps.

There is barely a high speed courner round this place tarmac everywhere you wonder what you have to do at abudabi to not finish the GP.

Lewis' s biggest challenge today is turning on the pit lane speed limiter.
  • Options
    bleeleebleelee Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Anybdoy else find Lewis hamiltons father incredible annoying
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everybody in the world lewis to I think normally they are sueing each other.
  • Options
    ati_qtimportaati_qtimporta Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Two things before the start.
    Best of luck to Lewis, I want him to be the next world drivers champion because in my opinion is one of the best drivers. There is only one driver today that can match his talent and if you look at where I am from, I'm sure you'll guess who might be :D
    Rosberg is having his chance due to this silly rule of double points in the last race, but whatever happens, I think he deserves the title more than Rosberg, who is a good driver, but not as talented as Lewis.

And while I was watching the Spanish TV, a reporter interviewed our former king, Juan Carlos, and he said he had been talking to Alonso and told him he (Alonso) will be in McLaren next year :D:D:D
    Exclusive destroyed hahaha.

Oh, and another thing more: looking forward to watch how Vettel deals with the 2015 Ferrari
  • Options
    stu64stu64 Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    Claire Williams is so hot...until she talks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky did an interview during the national anthem. Very rude.