ITV1's Titanic discussion thread

Comments

• chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The character of lightoller in this was c**p compared to the one in jcs titanic.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somehow this was up before Sunday... but for the next episode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeLE0YgOQf4
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently watching A Night to Remember.

Makes this rubbish look like amateur hour.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 45 minutes of cliché-spouting stereotypes, I was rooting for the iceberg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe it cost £11 miliion pound to make.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Currently watching A Night to Remember.

Makes this rubbish look like amateur hour.

I agree "A Night To Remember" was by far the best film made about the Titanic disaster and there were several made. But I must admit that I did enjoy James Cameron's version too.
    This series would have been better as a ten part serial. There is no way we had time to warm to any of the characters in episode one. It seemed a bit conjested.
    The costumes for First Class passengers weren't exactly oppulent and the dining room had all the glamour of a run down working men's club..
    My hope is that the next episode out of the four is based around the engine room and other crew.
  • DrPLDrPL Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I've compiled the goofs of Titanic (1997) and A Night To Remember (1958) too, but I'll need to revisit the list as some seem a bit suspect now - http://www.paullee.com/titanic/
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    There's an understanding that the maid was the only 'good' element. :p

You're darned right there, my friend!
    On a different note, I was racking my brains thinking where had I seen Lady Manton before...then it hit me: Cracker.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like most people on here,I was very disappointed with the first episode.
    I fully appreciate those who ask what people expected to see in a programme about the Titanic,as just about everyone knows the story backwards via the films and countless documentaries.It just felt too rushed and cliqued.
    Downton Abbey At Sea just about sums it up.
    Will give it another go next week no doubt,and maybe once we warm to the characters it may improve.
  • ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    The character of lightoller in this was c**p compared to the one in jcs titanic.

There was talk a while ago about making a film about his amazing life !
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After 45 minutes of cliché-spouting stereotypes, I was rooting for the iceberg.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lightoller
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm downloading 'A Night to Remember' as we speak. Just going to stick to that and Camerons version. At least you get to know and care about the characters (even Jack and Rose, lol).
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iceberg 3 episodes ahead!
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julian Fellowes has a flaming nerve slating JC for historical inaccuracies when he's imagining dancing in First Class and to compound the horror, Lightoller dancing with Dorothy Gibson. Jeez wept. In fact he nicked a few ideas from the 1953 Titanic with Clifton Webb, and although that was historically flaky it had a far better script and I would certainly rather watch that again...
  • cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Why were they dancing round a small room with bookshelves?
    and why was that woman looking down her nose at everyone else? - could she not have sought the company of people of equal status and had a much better time :confused:
    Forum Member
    cantelpit wrote: »
    and why was that woman looking down her nose at everyone else? - could she not have sought the company of people of equal status and had a much better time :confused:

I think what they had done was combine the 1st class smoking room (the fireplace where Andrews was allegedly last seen), the library (all those books) and the 1st class lounge. AFAIK the band never played in the lounge and of course there was no dance floor!
    Forum Member
    ZicoZ wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lightoller

As long as it doesn't focus on the amazing revelations of the "steering blunder" told to his wife and then granddaughter, Louise Patten. Lightoller's wife and Walter Lord were in touch in the 1950s and Patten emailed me asking if I knew where copies were. Then she released her execrable book..... anyway, I transcribed the letters http://www.paullee.com/titanic/slightoller.html - theres a link to the QI forum at the bottom of the page where I discussed the "wrong turn" theory and its "merits."
  • Jackboy18Jackboy18 Posts: 1,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DrPL wrote: »

Thanks. Very interesting read.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cantelpit wrote: »

I think the idea was that she was she so sour faced and stuck up she'd probably have looked down on the Queen!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Really disappointed as many of you also seem to be by last nights episode. Safe to say i was expecting great things (especially because of my love of downton), but i have to say what an anticlimax!

Obviously i will tune in next week to see if the stories gather some strength, but to me it just seemed all crammed in together, you didn't get to know the characters in enough depth, as it was all just a bit jumpy for my liking, with no clear linkage between them.

I am hoping for a great improvement next week though, don't want julian fellowes to lose some of his credibility over it.
    Forum Member
    And in a week's time there'll be a whole load of new goofs on my website!!! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DrPL wrote: »
    I've compiled the goofs of Titanic (1997) and A Night To Remember (1958) too, but I'll need to revisit the list as some seem a bit suspect now - http://www.paullee.com/titanic/

A really interesting read. Thanks for posting it.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't want to pass judgment on it this early, but I thought it was really...boring. There was absolutely no atmosphere.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you believe the article in The Sun today - which admittedly is a bit thin on facts - the sinking of the Titanic was all the fault of Winston Churchill:eek: