Mono Laser printers.

enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have given up on inkjet printers. The ink is expensive - hardly lasts any time at all and if one colour goes down it won't print at all. I only print in black, not interested in scanning or printing photos so it seems the laser printer is the way to go.

I found a Brother printer around £50 which has good reviews on Amazon. However some of the reviews say it comes with a two pin plug which is not fit for purpose. My question is this - if one is delivered to me with a two pin plug is it legal? I have an adaptor that is 3 pin one side and 2 pin the other. Would it be safe to use this or should a suitable adaptor be supplied.

I don't want to order this if I cannot use it. Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't speak for the Brother printer but I've recently bought one of these.. slightly cheaper and definitely comes with a UK plug.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's legal to supply a euro 2-pin plug for a hard-wired device, as this printer apparently is.

Unless: It comes with a conversion adapter.

This is not the adapter that most people have in their home.
    This particular adapter opens up, the 2-pin plug inserted, then the adapter closed and perhaps even screwed shut.

Those 2-pin to UK plug adapters will probably work, but they have a tendency for the 2-pin plug to fall out over time.
  • enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dan. I guess if I buy in a store rather than Amazon then you can guarantee the proper plug. That is an extremely good price - have you had any problems with it and does it comes with starter cartridge. Actually I will take myself off to PC World and have a look. The Brother one didn't come with a USB cable either even though not WiFi.

Thanks also Tassium - apparently according to reviews it does not come with an adaptor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enna_g wrote: »
    Thanks Dan. I guess if I buy in a store rather than Amazon then you can guarantee the proper plug. That is an extremely good price - have you had any problems with it and does it comes with starter cartridge. Actually I will take myself off to PC World and have a look. The Brother one didn't come with a USB cable either even though not WiFi.

No problem. There was no stock of the Samsung in my local stores so I had to order it through the website and I picked it up in store the next working day.

I've literally only done a couple of test prints with it so far (I've set it up as a network printer using a Raspberry Pi) but so far so good. Yes, it comes with a starter toner cartridge, but from memory, like the Brother, it didn't come with a USB cable. Luckily I already had a suitable one going spare.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks also Tassium - apparently according to reviews it does not come with an adaptor.

Have you got a link to the item. It is illegal to sell many electrical appliances that are intended for domestic use in the UK without either a UK spec plug or a fixed adapter plug that cannot be removed without a tool.

http://www.ecita.org.uk/ise/09-qs-chapter-6-plugs-and-socket-safety-regulations

So if this is the UK Amazon site selling to the UK then it should be supplied with a UK plug.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Your link did exactly the same as mine did for another post about an Iiyama monitor, which I had to delete - although it says .co.uk, it takes you to the amazon.com dollar web site for some unfathomable reason.

Edit: yet weirder: it highlighted amazon.com as a link, but took me to the UK .co.uk site when I clicked on it :confused::confused:

Edit #2: Clutching my piece of garlic, I tried it with Internet Explorer instead of Chrome and got exactly the same result in both cases.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Your link did exactly the same as mine did for another post about an Iiyama monitor, which I had to delete - although it says .co.uk, it takes you to the amazon.com dollar web site for some unfathomable reason.

Edit: yet weirder: it highlighted amazon.com as a link, but took me to the UK .co.uk site when I clicked on it :confused::confused:

Edit #2: Clutching my piece of garlic, I tried it with Internet Explorer instead of Chrome and got exactly the same result in both cases.

I think this is a problem specific to your computer.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So long as its got a uk plug on that side it should be ok, plenty of stuff just uses twin core cable if its properly insulated.

Depending on usage a second hand decent laserjet printer will probably outlast you, generally you get 3k+ pages from a toner (depends on coverage) and the spares like rollers are easy to fit etc compared to some printers i've met.

A LJ-4000 or so will probably be used by the roaches when the nuclear war finished and they rule the earth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I think this is a problem specific to your computer.
    Do you get to the correct site when you click the link? I'm at a loss to understand how it could be specific to my computer.

I tried the same on my phone and it did the same, though I did see an address "go.redirectingat.com" with extra info pop up briefly. Could be my ISP (BT infinity) possibly, if nobody else has this problem.

Edit: there seems to be quite a bit about this when Googled, so will research further. Meanwhile - is everyone else unaffected?

Tassium - what happened when you clicked on your own posted link?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you get to the correct site when you click the link? I'm at a loss to understand how it could be specific to my computer.

I tried the same on my phone and it did the same, though I did see an address "go.redirectingat.com" with extra info pop up briefly. Could be my ISP (BT infinity) possibly, if nobody else has this problem.

Edit: there seems to be quite a bit about this when Googled, so will research further. Meanwhile - is everyone else unaffected?

Do you have Adblock Plus running in your browser? I used to use it and had similar problems with links going to odd places and this same redirectingat web address appearing.

If so try disabling Adblock temporarily and see if you get the same thing happen. If it now goes to the correct webpage then it is Adblock playing silly games. I got so fed up of this I threw Adblock away and now use uBlock Origin instead. NB don't get it confused with uBlock - without the Origin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I paused Adblock and it made no difference. I think it's something to do with Skimlinks (qv), which is some sort of click-through thing which is supposed to make money for the web site (in this case DS) owner. It's supposed to be transparent, but obviously ending up in the wrong place.

No-one has actually said that they get to the correct .co.uk site when they click the linkm though! I don't see how it can be just me.

(Just as well this is the PC forum!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I paused Adblock and it made no difference. I think it's something to do with Skimlinks (qv), which is some sort of click-through thing which is supposed to make money for the web site (in this case DS) owner. It's supposed to be transparent, but obviously ending up in the wrong place.

No-one has actually said that they get to the correct .co.uk site when they click the linkm though! I don't see how it can be just me.

(Just as well this is the PC forum!)

You have to reload the page after disabling Adblock or it doesn't work. As I posted I had it loads of times on random links. If you look at the page source text the URL is correct but with the page running in a browser window it gets altered. Every time it was Adblock doing it.

If you mean the link Tassium posted to Amazon .co . uk then it works every time for me. I get the correct UK web page appear. Haven't tried it with Adblock installed and to be honest have no real desire to try :). But suffice it to say that after ditching Adblock and changing to uBlock Origin I have never had anything remotely similar occur.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the exact same experience as Jeff - the link to the Brother printer went to the US Amazon site, and the link to amazon.com took me to the UK site. That happened both at work, running Firefox on Windows with Adblock, and at home, running Firefox on my Mac without Adblock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium here, if I click on the link it takes me to the correct site Amazon.co.uk

In fact I've often provided links within DS forums to various sites and then clicked on them to check, it's always worked fine for me.

Using uBlock Origin on Firefox (plusnet)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Alice said - curiouser and curiouser!

I realised I was running Adblock, not Adblock Plus and apparently they are totally different products. I removed it from Chrome and reloaded the page - the link still diverted (with no ad blocking installed).

I then installed uBlock Origin as recommended, and Bingo! - even with it turned on, the link now properly takes me to the UK site and if I type amazon.com in the text, that is no longer highlighted and therefore not clickable.
  • enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I haven't got adblock and I get sent to Amazon.com. Sorry seem to have caused confusion all round.

It was the Brother printer on Amazon. co.uk. It says nothing in the blurb about a two pin plug and the good reviews don't mention it at all. However if you look at a couple of one star reviews they mention that they had to send it back because it was unfit for purpose as it had a two pin plug. Makes me wonder if some have three pin and some have two pin.

Anyway I haven't been to PC world yet. I must admit I do tend to steer clear of them and try to order online however in this case it is probably worth going there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I haven't got adblock and I get sent to Amazon.com. Sorry seem to have caused confusion all round.
    Don't be sorry! I should be sorry for hijacking your thread, but it's been an interesting discussion and you did get an answer in a roundabout way. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That same model as linked to in PC World is available via Amazon (sold by Ryman Office Supplies.)

SAMSUNG Xpress M2026 £39.99
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SL-M2026-Mono-Laser-Printer/dp/B00YU62K3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469619331&sr=8-1&keywords=SAMSUNG+Xpress+M2026

I don't know the quality of it but the reviews on Amazon seem about as good as the Brother model.

Best to check for compatibility with operating system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also for close on the same price you can get a colour laser

Ricoh SPC-240DN A4 Colour Laser Printer - £49.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ricoh-SPC-240DN-Colour-Laser-Printer/dp/B005VMPODU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1469620163&sr=1-1&keywords=Ricoh+SPC240

I have this model, bought it when they were £70 a year ago. Also have a mono laser but I tend to use the colour laser now.

It's good for the money. Rather heavy! (24kg) Not wireless but apparently can be connected to a wireless network (not tried it)

Colour photographs are typical for a cheap laser, dotty and like a magazine photo from a few decades past. Graphics look great however, great for labels and xmas cards or whatever.

Why is it so cheap? It was probably manufactured in 2010 and based on an old design.
    Comes with "starter" toner but very generous for starter.
    Apparently NOT Mac compatible.