The Torchwood: Miracle Day Appreciation Thread

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching the DVD boxset recently and I must admit it was generally a lot better than I remembered it, ep 2 in particular was better than I thought it had been first time round, and now I knew the ending I was more prepared for it.
    I think the problem with it, was that I spent the whole series waiting for an alien to appear, and although we got the Blessing it wasn't the same as, say, the 456. The Three Families were interesting but still felt they were lacking something.
    And lastly, I really, really dont like that someone else seems to have Jack's ability.. I did love Shapiro's role in it though, and although this seems negative I do think it was good viewing, it just lacked something that prevented it being brilliant viewing!
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love tea wrote: »
    I was watching the DVD boxset recently and I must admit it was generally a lot better than I remembered it, ep 2 in particular was better than I thought it had been first time round, and now I knew the ending I was more prepared for it.
    I think the problem with it, was that I spent the whole series waiting for an alien to appear, and although we got the Blessing it wasn't the same as, say, the 456. The Three Families were interesting but still felt they were lacking something.
    And lastly, I really, really dont like that someone else seems to have Jack's ability.. I did love Shapiro's role in it though, and although this seems negative I do think it was good viewing, it just lacked something that prevented it being brilliant viewing!

sums up my opinion perfectly
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,310
    Forum Member
    I love tea wrote: »

I have just done the same thing, over the Easter weekend, and felt that perhaps this story was overtly panned by so many at the time it was shown.

I think MD suffered more following on from COE, which was superb. I think RTD felt the story was good enough, felt the deal with Starz was excellent, and felt that by making it 10 episodes it would fit US tv, and maintain an audience back in the UK. Again it also suffered as it was something of a reboot for the US market, and so those of us used to the show saw the padding more clearly than perhaps we should have.

The ending though on the second viewing was more obvious this time than it was. I'm going to say that as I knew what was coming, but I saw it in the script more, however that didn't detract from it. What the Doctor would think about all this I don't know. However, that's not something we'd find out. I do hope we get another series out of Torchwood, because I still think we've not had a conclusion to the characters, however they do it, I mean would they be brave enough to do another series of random episodes, like the original seasons? Setting up the new team, and then say a mini series similar to COE, but would conclude the story line?

However, it was enjoyable, and better than I remembered it, so 7 or 8 out of 10 for me on this Miracle Day.
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were some bits of Miracle Day but generally, I was a little disappointed. I MUCH preferred Children Of Earth and think it might be a good idea (if there is a series 5) to return to the monster of the week format we had with Series 1 and 2
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wanted to post here when I first saw the thread but it took me until today to register. (Long time DS lurker)

I didn't think Miracle Day was perfect but as someone who got into Doctor Who and Torchwood in 2005 and 2006 respectively I preferred it to the 2011 offering of Doctor Who. I couldn't say why exactly (although I'm not really a genre fan) but it felt during the fourth series that the consequences of actions undertaken by the main characters felt far more real than in Doctor Who.

I think maybe a contracted formula may have worked. I see the 10 episodes as five sequential two parters (Welcome to Torchwood, Investigating Phicorp, Overflow Camps, Colasanto, The Blessing) and perhaps five ninety minute episodes or six/seven one hour episodes aired weekly on say Sunday Nights would have suited the show better. I think also given that the strongest individual scripts seemed to be written by Davies and Espenson (1, 5, 7 and 10) the series may have worked better with less writers. Miracle Day had seven writers overall, including the co-writers of episodes four and eight.

Saying that, the strongest element for me was the characterisation. Sure, Gwen almost became a lara croft imitation at times but that was offset against the character moments which revolved solely around introspection and the actors performance. Particular highlights for me were her family scenes, the scenes with Jack in three and seven and her magnificent role in the final episode. (Seriously gave me chills when she's the one who decides to commit her colleagues to death, Rex and Jack being unable to). I felt Alexa Havins, Arlene Tur and Lauren Ambrose were great throughout and managed to give each of their characters multiple facets. Esther's development was subtlety done and her death was all the more poignant due her to lack of "big hero moment" - her contributions in the final five episodes (saving Rex, saving Gwen's family, nursing Jack, keeping his blood safe) being all understated. It was a great move to have Vera killed because of her inability to keep her moral views to herself at the juxtaposition of her death was the strongest individual cliffhanger. Mekhi Phifer was a bit full-on to begin with but I think a lot of subtleties started to develop with him towards the end, and I think more can be done with his character. Not sure about Oswald, but Pullman played magnificently off Ambrose and Barrowman and Myles having the character be there for the sake of character rather than the sake of plot was interesting.

Jack at times was sidelined, which I feel a lot of people felt to be one of the things wrong with the series. However, I felt having the character being depicted as less assertive and more back seat was in keeping with what we saw in Children of Earth. He's no longer an official leader of anybody and has a lot of guilt. I felt towards the end of the series we saw him come to terms with himself (facing up to his "Immortal Sins") and everything from the tense conversation with Gwen to his confrontation with the Blessing seemed to indicate that he can be content with himself and be his old self. What he sees when he looks into his own soul is not the regrets and negatives, but all the fantastic things he's done and I hope that should the series continue they continue to emphasize this rather than the bad things he's done. Making hard choices and sacrifices for the greater good when needed is part of being a hero. Having Rex immortal too could dilute his uniqueness, but a positive in a future series could be that it makes less Jack less burdened by his curse.

I'd feel cheated if Torchwood didn't come back for another series - no matter where or when it is filmed. I feel that Gwen and Jack are both left with their character journey's incomplete. For a continuation I'd probably prefer something more small scale and event/intense like Children of Earth but less soul destroying. Seeing as Series One/Two went the Doctor Who route, Series Three went the Five Days route and Series Four went the Camelot route in terms of structure I sort of think three ninety minute specials might be an interesting format. (Like Sherlock, Unforgiven, Prime Suspect, WhiteChapel etc)

FWIW I think it's criminal if neither Eve Myles, Lauren Ambrose or Bill Pullman win an award at the 38th Saturn Awards next month. Each are shortlisted (Best Actress on TV, best Supporting Actress, best Supporting Actor). For those not in the know these are the longest running and generally the most reputable genre awards. The series itself is nominated (it won for Children of Earth) but I think on hedging my bets with one of the actors.